Popular Tags: [View All]
Lothar Neu
Germany
Sarstedt
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

maybe I just didn't find it, but what is supposed to be an effect that can be paid with one less clue from The Silver Key?

Silver Key on this image

The only reference to effects that I found in my last game was the Complex Encounter Section.

It says every Complex Encounter consists of an initial effect, a pass effect and a fail effect.

Is paying for mysteries considered an effect?
So may I pay 1 less clue to put an Eldritch Token on that active mystery card?

Overall I would suggest there should be quite a lot of "effects", because artifacts are usually pretty powerful and The Silver Key ranks between meh and maybe awesome?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Better Living Through ChemistryMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Beard fanMicrobadge: Leather Pride
You can use it in any case where you would normally spend a Clue token. It's basically a free clue once per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Jeppson
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
You can use it in any case where you would normally spend a Clue token. It's basically a free clue once per turn.
Which is really, really, really useful. I love that clues are so rare in this game. I am also loving how epic almost all the artifacts are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lothar Neu
Germany
Sarstedt
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Well that could have been worded easier or?

I was specifically looking for what is considered an effect.
So you may even use it for rerolls?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Jeppson
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingLz wrote:
I was specifically looking for what is considered an effect.
So you may even use it for rerolls?
Just for easier reference, the card text says:
Quote:
Once per round, you may spend 1 less Clue to pay for an effect.
I would think you would look for any time something uses the word "spend". So, in the case of re-rolls, look up what the reference guide says:
Quote:
An investigator may spend one Clue token to reroll one die when
resolving a test. There is no limit to the number of Clues he can spend
to reroll dice.
I would say that since the reference guide says "spend", the Silver Key applies to it as well. This is all similar to Arkham's use of the words "lose" and "cost" and "spend" that helped clarify where you could use certain items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Blumenthal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
So what does that mean in the context of Yog-Sothoth's "The Beyond One" mystery, which states, "After an ivestigator resolves a Research Encounter, he may spend 1 Clue he gained from that encounter and place that Clue on this card."

In the case where I don't gain a Clue from the encounter, Silver Key does nothing, correct?

In the case where I gain a Clue, the card text now becomes: "...he may spend 0 Clues he gained from that encounter and place that Clue on this card."

Where does the clue placed on the card come from? Does the investigator keep the Clue they gained from the encounter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

AJzer wrote:
In the case where I gain a Clue, the card text now becomes: "...he may spend 0 Clues he gained from that encounter and place that Clue on this card."

Where does the clue placed on the card come from? Does the investigator keep the Clue they gained from the encounter?
Trying to learn the game solo and this came up right away for me. Do we know the answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can use the Silver Key for those kinds of effects.

The Silver Key gives you a free Clue. But this mystery (and others) require you to put the Clue you gain from a research encounter on the mystery card. The Clue must come from the research encounter, not from the Silver Key.

One way of thinking about it is that you never really gain the Clue from the encounter, but rather let it go toward the mystery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Kobin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
If you gained TWO (or more) clues from the encounter then I would say you could spend one less in that situation. The important part being you need to have gained a clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So basically, don't use the Silver Key here, as spending 0 clue simply results in 0 clues put on the card (rather than some "phantom clue") which in the end does no good.

Guess that's how I'll play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls