Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Daniels
United States
Rochelle
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on DOA 2. Love the new art and the flat maps.

I have DOA 1 and find it pretty hard to get to the table, but I enjoy it when I do. I've seen that others have the same problem with DOA 1. So I wanted to know if anyone has experienced a difference with DOA 2? Is it easier to get to the table? Let me know what you think

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

It sounds like you're looking for someone to convince you to buy it. It may be easy for us to play but if you haven't had luck with your group, I don't know if that would change any.

I haven't played the first but from what I've seen the biggest differences are the character cards and challenge cards. The cards are large and have some nice art on them and the challenge cards make resolving actions pretty simple.

It's a great game but definitely is one that requires a tutorial game or two with any new players before they can feel comfortable playing, which is probably the biggest hurdle, especially if you don't have a consistent group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
mbmbmbmbmb
Duel of Ages 2 looks like it's simplified a lot of things; the largest are the numbered stats and the challenge cards.

With the numbered stats you no longer have to remember how much better blue is than red, you can now see that such and such a character's wits is three better than so and so's.

The challenge cards are a huge bonus. To calculate a result you compare the stats of two characters, figure out whether the Attacker is better or the Defender and by how many, draw a card, and look at the relevant column. It's really easy and the cards are laid out well.

Outside of that, my suggestion would be to get the Basic Set and play some small games with a couple of members of your group. Once you have one or two that know how to play you can break off into teams and play some Triad or Quad games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points made, but I'd encourage you to be much more detailed about why you've had a hard time getting DoA I to the table.

It's true that some things have been streamlined and improved, but I doubt that DoA II is going to make a convert of many that deeply disliked DoA I.

It's a significant upgrade to be sure, but it's still very much the same game at heart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.