Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Puccio
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for color top-down and sideview illustrations of WWII tanks for use in a game. The scale needed is to fit on a poker-size card. I need realistic plan-view type illustrations - no crew, no backgrounds. Are there any resources out there for existing illustrations that can be purchased for use in a game? Or artists that are interested in licensing their drawings to a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:AFV_diagrams_and_...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did these a few years back. There's probably a T-34 76 knocking about somewhere too.

http://www.colourandnoise.com/cg/tanks-modelling-texturing/

Inbox me if they're of any use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Puccio
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These are very nice, Patrick, and certainly of the quality level I'm looking for (probably more so). Unfortunately I need about 30 different vehicles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the top-down figure list from Junior General. All free to download and use:

http://juniorgeneral.org/index.php/figure/figureList/topdown...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Try the top-down figure list from Junior General. All free to download and use:

http://juniorgeneral.org/index.php/figure/figureList/topdown...

They have redesigned the site and I can't find any info at all, but there used to be a notice that you could download and use the artwork for non-commercial purposes only, and I doubt they have contacted all contributors and convinced everyone to agree to a change in terms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Puccio
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a look at these last night, the quality/resolution isn't really good enough for what I'm looking to do, and this would definitely be a commercial project. Thanks though, it's a good resource to know about for other purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One resource to keep in mind if all else fails. I play an online game by the name of World of Tanks. You can drive around and blow away nearly any tank ever conceived. There's an exhaustive array of them in fact, light, medium, and heavy tanks, WOT even features tank destroyers and self-propelled guns (arty). At any rate you can view and move the camera angle for your tank while it's in the garage (and during a game), you could take a screen shot of the needed angle, trace it out, clean it up a bit and there you go.

If you're not interested in video gaming (research and unlock the tanks yourself), you could register on the WOT forums and ask members to provide screen shots for you. WOT is completely free, although there are options to spend money on a few premium tanks, but nearly all of those are oddities and IIRC were rarely fielded in WW2.

I've been playing for about 3+ years now and have accumulated 30 or so tanks and might be able to help you out, but IIRC I don't own any WW2 era tanks, preferring those from just after WW1 (low-tier madness!) or the weirder post-war tanks. Trying to recall actual tanks that were used in WW2 and not just on paper, I have a KV-1, Churchill III (loaned to the Russians by the brits, but looks the same as a normal Church), Stug III, SU-100, IS-3, T26E4, M40/M43, Hellcat, centurian mk1, Tiger I, and I might get a type T-34 (T-34 given to the Chinese, looks same as normal T-34).

LMK if interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many public domain photos or drawings (including those on wikimedia I linked to above) that can be traced without violating anyone's copyrights, as opposed to tracing something from World of Tanks. If you are going to not bother with intellectual property you can just as well scan some counters from existing boardgames and save you a lot of work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Puccio
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I'm very familiar with WOT but also familiar with copyright law (not to mention that I don't want silhouettes, I want full color illustrations) and this isn't the route I'll be going down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Backstrom
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your looking to purchase them you could try here: http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/tanks/ Their EULA mentions paying for commercial use (free for personal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.