Subject: Can this be played with kids? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Grutz
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the recommended the ages from the manufacturer is 14 and up, but come on, is that REALLY true? I'm looking for a fun game that the kids and I can play together. They are ages 8 and 10, can read with no problems, and like playing Cosmic Encounter. Would they enjoy this or is it really more of a game for teenagers and up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know plenty of 8 and 10 year olds who play Magic: the Gathering, and MtG has very similar gameplay to Wiz-War.

Your kids just need to be able to read lots of card text and understand different card interactions, timing rules, etc. If they enjoy cosmic encounters, this should be right up their alley.

Edit: and I'll add in: be sure to check out the variant here on BGG that increases the chaos/fun level and removes a lot of counterspells that slow the game down. That should help to increase the kid-appeal even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Wenn ich die Zivilisation hinter mir lasse, fühle ich mich sicher (Heinrich Harrer)
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. The game is chaotic / cartoonish in the art enough to be appealing also for kids. Point is that cards require attention with the wording and so on. But with the guidance of a parent, it shoulnd't be that difficult for them to get the game. Plus, you'll help them forming strategic / tactical thinking with a game complex but also quite short, so that the challenge exists without being a brain burner.

Go for it, and have fun.

Also, as Michelle noted, you can tweak a little the decks if you want some specifics to be more relevant. Or you can try different combinations of schools, to increase the damage potential or have more utility spells in the mix.

Let us know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Partizan242 wrote:
I know the recommended the ages from the manufacturer is 14 and up, but come on, is that REALLY true? I'm looking for a fun game that the kids and I can play together. They are ages 8 and 10, can read with no problems, and like playing Cosmic Encounter. Would they enjoy this or is it really more of a game for teenagers and up?

You don't need to be a teenager to enjoy the game. I think you could teach the game your kids, but I don't know if the 8-year old would enjoy it that much. Maybe wait a few years. There is a lot of good kid games out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Grutz
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to follow up with this post. I ended up buying Wiz War for Christmas. The game has been a huge hit and we play it all the time. I kind of wish that FFG didn't recommend the school of magic with the fire/water spells for first timers, because those aren't easiest to grasp. However, Wiz War is great and we'll probably get the expansion soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Wenn ich die Zivilisation hinter mir lasse, fühle ich mich sicher (Heinrich Harrer)
mbmbmbmbmb
So happy you're enjoying the game with your kids

Thanks for sharing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.