Ronin Daimyo
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Which Game do you recommend: 1812: The Invasion of Canada or 1775: Rebellion?
1812: The Invasion of Canada
1775: Rebellion
      17 answers
Poll created by Ron1n

Please leave your reasons for your recommendation of either 1812 or 1775 below.

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games are great play experiences using the same system (minor variations) for both. However 1775 gets played the most because the Revolutionary war is a more familiar war to most who watch or play in our FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronin Daimyo
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any balance issues in one over the other? (Aside from the fact that 1812 can be a 3v2 and 1775 is a 2v2?)

Does one side have a better starting position, better units/advantages/dice, e.g. the British dice does not have the flee icon, or weaknesses?

Also since the board/maps are different what do you prefer and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Oh, the revolutionary war again? Yawn!

Go with 1812 because you'll probably own no other game that deals with that war ever in your life.

It's fun to play a game that gets little to no mention in American history books, except to suggest that they won the war, which is funny and actually kind of fascinating, since it shines a light on how dynamic and subjective history is. I prefer the debate on the victor of the Vietnam war (oops . . . conflict) myself.

Although I guess if they actually did win I would be getting bad ass deals on CSI. You win some you lose some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I chose 1812 due to obvious bias.

I own 1812 and I think it's a fascinating gateway war game of sorts. I haven't played 1775, although I'm assuming the mechanics are very similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both games and prefer 1775: Rebellion. They are very similar, but in 1775: Rebellion you can only bring reinforcements on in a city that is in a colony you control. This adds a lot of tension right from the very start, because without controlling colonies you're either not going to be able to bring your reinforcements in where you want or (even worse) not be able to bring them in at all.

I also like the fact that, because it's an insurrection, there are no front lines. You don't have to track which areas belong to who.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kircher
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I also prefer 1775.

I never like that in 1812 the home side always fired first in battle, even when attacking. You almost want to hold back until you know when the endgame is coming and make a charge. The open map with 1775 creates some very interesting decisions when those command decision results are rolled.

The only part that is not simulated well is the British have problems reinforcing with troops in the South. It's hard to control a colony in the south for the British player and cannot send it troops unless with the limited naval movement cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Rob, the British warship cards can be absolutely critical in enabling you to compete for the South.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronin Daimyo
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any issues with bottle necking in 1812? Looking at the 1812 map it looks like there are choke points due to the great lakes.

In 1775 it looks like there are none?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronin Daimyo
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ron1n wrote:
Are there any issues with bottle necking in 1812? Looking at the 1812 map it looks like there are choke points due to the great lakes.

In 1775 it looks like there are none?

I really want to understand if the there is any "turtling" or repetitiousness / less choices which would affect the replay-ability of 1812 b/c of the map the the points of conflict on it versus 1775, where the boarders are less clear?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people say the best US strategy is to wait to gather your strength before invading Canada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronin Daimyo
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Some people say the best US strategy is to wait to gather your strength before invading Canada.

Thanks Eric

If that's the case I think I'm leaning a bit more towards going with 1775.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronin Daimyo
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I research this the more I'm leaning towards 1775.

Although I like that 1812 allows for up to 5 players I understand that this could lead to imbalance issues where one team could potentially end up going multiple times in a row (up to six times I believe it was claimed).

Also I noticed that many people had a gripe with the fact that in 1812 the home combatant goes first, with many saying that 1775 "fixes" this issue.

Finally the layout of the board and the frontiers look more variable and less likely to choking up in 1775.

So far the poll results while not scientific appear to support 1775, before taking the plunge any 1812 people have anything to add?

Thank you for all the advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.