Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first full year wargaming and it's been a blast. I thought this might be a fun way to summarize my year -- and for you to summarize yours as well. This isn't about games released in 2013; it's about what you played in 2013.

Favorite Game of the Year
Labyrinth: the War on Terror. I can't help it--it was the game that got me into the hobby (my wife stumbled upon it in a store) and it remains my sentimental favorite. Also, maybe the only game I've played enough times to have formed so-called "strategies."

Best F2F Session
It Never Snows. Ah, my first monster game. An enjoyable back-breaker, as I plowed forth as the Allies, only to make a critical blunder late in the game that allowed the ever-patient Mike to take his equally-patient Germans and cut off like eight week's worth of gaming in a matter of seconds. Ouch.

Best Solitaire Sessions
Trenchfoot. Coming off of trying (and failing) to master Paths of Glory, I went WWI tactical and eBay-ed this on a whim. So glad I did. With turns representing just a few seconds each, this is slipping, sliding, nerve-wracking fun.

D-Day at Omaha Beach. I'm on my fifth play right now and still being wowed by this system. Yes, I've gone back and purchased Butterfield's Operation Jubilee and am awaiting the future installments in the series.

Biggest Misfire
Cortes: Conquest of the Aztecs. Was pysched for this, loved the theme, but it just didn't click with me. My fault, probably -- I played just once and failed to get a feel for the strange geography of the board.

Determined to Play in 2014
Ambush!
Thunderbolt Apache Leader
B-17
The Plot to Assassinate Hitler -- yeah, yeah, I know.
Flying Colors
And some other monster with my main man Mike.

Random Comments
Probably the most intriguing thing I played in 2013 was a single session of ASL Starter Kit #1 with Mike. For various reasons, I'm delaying learning ASL for at least two years, but it was tantalizing. I see what all the fuss is about.

Also of note: I have yet not won a single F2F game. I've come within a single roll, and I've also been flat-out slaughtered. But who cares? It's been fun and educational. Looking forward to 2014.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Der Weltkrieg Series With the release of the final game The Grand Campaign and my help play testing the vassal mod (now available!) I spent a lot of time with this gem.

Mark Simonitch games. I got really into these. Mark is a great designer!
Ardennes '44
Ukraine '43
The Caucasus Campaign
France '40
Normandy '44

Many games of Operational Combat Series.
The Blitzkrieg Legend: The Battle for France, 1940 (several)
Sicily: Triumph and Folly
DAK2

Honorable mention: First Strike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Shirley
New Zealand
North Shore City
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sicily: Triumph and Folly. Very large, operational level, hex and counter wargames played for the full campaign over multiple sessions remain the height gaming Nirvana for me. And for this OCS remains for me the system that delivers the best experience for this. Our Sicily campaign was an epic (and exhausting) experience delivering a absorbing multi-layered narrative with many twist and turns.

Best F2F Session
Guns of Gettysburg. Playing with David, the first time I 'got' the system and understood how enjoyable an experience it was for either side, after multiple incorrectly played games (all won by David but illegitimately, it almost became a running joke).

Best Solitaire Sessions
FAB: Sicily. I don't solitaire that much but decided to give solitaire a go with this title and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Biggest Misfire
Andean Abyss Really wanted to like this. Liked the components/map, liked the subject matter, liked the individual mechanics but the synthesis of all this delivers an experience that I personally am not suited to enjoy. Just ended up feeling too random and I disliked the way it could end. Difficult if not impossible to apply long term planning too (which might fit the theme but is not what I tend to enjoy in gaming especially in a game of such weight time wise).

Guns of Gettysburg with the team rules
Napoleon's Triumph with the team rules
No Retreat! The North African Front full campaign
Strike of the Eagle full campaign if possible
Reluctant Enemies Sadly the only OCS title I'm likely to play given my lack of space and generally time-poor opponents. Hopefully this is released in time to play next year.

Random Comments
Hoping to start work on a dedicated gaming room in my garage next year which should open up some possibilities and to spend more time with the great friends I've made through this hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Played a lot of Flying Colors and Musket & Pike this year.
And a handful of sieges (SPI as well as Cortes).

Some bigger efforts: DW's Western Front, Ghost of Charles XII, Freedom
in the Galaxy, Civil War, Carrier.

Observations:

Eagles of Empire - I really wanted to see what sounded like a unique
design. Bad rules (Friedland) which didn't seem to provide much insight
were a bummer. Not enough of one to keep me from picking up another of
the series, to see if once the rough edges are polished off, it's as
interesting as the NAW rules for a light treatment.

Pax Romanum - My hopes were really too high for this. It's a solid enough
game, but too open and unconstrained. I expected something relying less
on standard Balance of Power.

Der Weltkrieg - too mechanically challenging. I felt a couple of simplifications
could have improved this a bit. Still, weighing whether I want to go
all in on this.

Lace Wars - rules were painful/ambiguous. Not sure the style was what
I like (reminded me of the feeling I get from Zucker's designs - worrying
too much about things that just don't 'click' for me). The naval game
contains a lot of mechanical complexity (wind rolls ect), but gives
a view I've not seen in anything else. Actually, both designs, with their
focus on the players' goals as commanders (rather than serving
their country's purpose) seems unique. Again, had to order another game
to see whether I want to go forward.

Flying Colors - Not as simplified as I expected. Rules focused more on
ship to ship aspects than the fleet maneuver. Still, solid enough that
it won me over to enjoying it eventually.

Ancient Battles Deluxe - too chess-like for my tastes. Strangely though,
may be more accurate than the GBoH stuff (which I enjoy greatly).

Scandanavia - this was a big winner for me. Not the game I hoped for,
but the best of the fully competitive fantasy kingdoms at war type game
that I've seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mb

Favourite Game of the Year - Burma. Just sublime and a campaign I am obsessed with. I wish an equivalent was there for Armhem. INS wasn't all that for me

Best ftf session: Too many to mention but recent game of Burma must be a contender. Didn't get the run of the green on the dice rolls but made the right decisions and got the right result.

Best solitaire: Chaotic, rule error ridden sessions of JPTR. Had to abandon it but had a lot of fun in the meantime. Will try again soon.

Biggest misfire: Buying Sword of Rome and realising straight away I didn't want it. In terms of games I was left completely flat by World War II: Barbarossa to Berlin. Couldn't see the attraction of this one at all and I love ETO titles normally.

Determined to play in 2014: The Supreme Commander the KB edition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thread!

This was also my first full year wargaming, I started late last December with D-Day at Omaha Beach.

Ambush!, hands down. I just absolutely love this game to death. I can't get enough.

Honorable Mentions
D-Day at Omaha Beach. My first wargame and one of the greatest game designs ever, IMO.
Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939. Simply fantastic.
France '40. Best 2013 release that I have played.

Best F2F Session
Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939, full campaign. This game is awesome. There were a lot of swings, and near the end I was pretty convinced I was going to lose. Here is a bit I wrote about that session on reddit.com/r/boardgames:

"Ok we were playing Red Winter, I was playing the Finns, my opponent was the Soviets.

The Soviets brought all their tanks in early (at a very steep VP cost) and was bashing through my defensive positions, making slow but steady and unstoppable progress. It was now late in the game, the 2nd to last day, and it wasnt looking good for me. I had to act and act now. I sent a lone infantry company from off Kotisaari Island down to the Southern edge of the map, where they proceeded to avoid contact with the few Soviet Infantry companies protecting the backside of their offensive. My company had successfully made his way behind enemy lines with a clear path to the Soviet supply hex (if a Finnish unit moves onto the Supply hex and off the map, they are removed from the game but so are the good Soviet Artillery units. The weak artillery units are delayed and most of the Soviet's ammo is destroyed. Artillery is very, very important in Red Winter. In short, triggering this event is a huge game changer). The Soviets noticed this lone company, but did so too late to stop their advance. The Soviets quickly moved 2 Infantry companies onto the Supply hex in order to protect it.

This is where things got interesting. My Full Strength Finnish company was now adjacent to two Soviet companies at Full Strength. This was no even match. The Soviets could easily defend that hex for the rest of the game unless I made a desperation move. I decided to go for it. I assaulted the the Soviet companies in the hex. I needed to roll a 12 otherwise it would end up badly (the CRT in Red Winter is brutal), and BAM! Rolled a 12. The Soviet artillery was destroyed. Not only this but pulling those 2 Soviet Infantry companies off the back end opened up a gap in the Soviet lines which I took advantage off, sending two infantry companies with an MG unit to retake the Kivisalmi Bridge, resulting in Soviet troops being taken off the front lines to fight the now Dug-In Finnish forces.

The destruction of the Soviet's artillery capabilities in combination with the retaking of the Bridge by the Finns resulted in a victory for me. That single die roll was the most important roll in the game, and it was a big gamble on my part that paid off huge.
" - http://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/1qyuzx/discussio...

Best Solitaire Sessions
Gotta be Ambush!. Especially the game where one brave soldier took out a tank and a truck full of Germans all by himself, while his comrades were wounded all around him.

Biggest Misfire
Lee vs. Grant. After reading the rulebook I was very excited for this one, but the game was very tedious to me and the combat so unsatisfying. I would like to try this system in a GCACW game someday.

Fields of Fire (I swear I will finally play this!)
Navajo Wars
High Frontier
The Civil War
Hell's Highway
The Korean War
France 1944: The Allied Crusade in Europe
Peloponnesian War
More Ambush!
More France '40

Most Anticipated 2014 Release
Enemy Action: Ardennes. I have very high hopes for this one.

Random Comments
I want to start using VASSAL more for online/PBEM play in 2014. Hopefully that will get all my unplayed games played. I also need to get to Endgame more often next year. For financial reasons, I will definitely be playing more and buying much less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Reilly
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first year back in wargaming after years spent away working in the videogame industry. I ended up buying way more than I could play and way less F2F than I would have liked. New Year's Resolution!

Napoleon's Triumph I have played many hex based games over the years and while it took a little bit to grok the mechanics and nuances of strategy, this was worth every minute of effort. Played two face to face games that ebbed and flowed and went down to the very last play in both. Beautifully made and sublime.

Best F2F Session

See above. I brought on the French reinforcements the last turn to break the Allied hold on a victory. Second place would be a game of Washington's War which I narrowly missed winning on the last turn.

Best Solitaire Sessions

Splurged and re-acquired Ambush! and its expansion modules (Ambush! Move Out!, Ambush! Purple Heart, Ambush! Silver Star) (all of which got lost after I went to college). It still holds up remarkably well and was a great time warp back to my childhood.

Biggest Misfire

The closest thing to a misfire would have to be D-Day Dice. It is a fun little game but just a bit too light for my taste beyond a few occasional plays.

I already have more than I can hope to play but I want to really try and play:

A Victory Lost
D-Day at Omaha Beach
The Guns of Gettysburg
The Mighty Endeavor
For the People

Then there are the monsters that I have no idea how to get played F2F:

Vietnam 1965-1975 (this is my grail play)
It Never Snows

Random Comments

Hopefully, I will be able to make it to my local meetup group in Oakland more often to get some gaming in now that football season is close to over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oski93 wrote:

Hopefully, I will be able to make it to my local meetup group in Oakland more often to get some gaming in now that football season is close to over.

I live about 3 blocks from Endgame. I would love to play a 2-player Coop game of D-Day at Omaha Beach sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2013 marked my return to the hobby after some 15+ years, and what a homecoming it has been (also thanks to this website!):
I started owning only two old GMT games (Hornet Leader and Thunderbolt Apache Leader, the first versions), then I went on a roll and ended up with 30+ games (if you are curious, you can browse my collection).

Anyhow, I was not obviously able to play most of them, but of those I played, I enjoyed Carrier and D-Day at Omaha Beach immensely.
Also, soloing Downtown: Air War Over Hanoi, 1965-1972 has left me wanting an opponent.
Yep, no FtF games for me...yet!

Since this year is not over, here's the plan:
- play Pegasus Bridge: The Beginning of D-Day – June 6, 1944 over Christmas
- see The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 show up
- see Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic show up at my doorstep (yes, I need to believe in Santa Claus for this to happen, dang it!)

For next year:
- see Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic show up at my doorstep zombie
- explore some of the other solitaire designs I already own
- keep hunting down some games and marking them off my wishlist (that was half the fun last year!)
- see if it possible to convert the space under the stairs into my tiny gaming corner
But I guess above all it will be seeing my son coming to see the light of this world
Can't beat that, uh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Standouts for me this year would include

Ardennes '44

Glory II: Across the Rappahannock ..the Battle of Chancellorsville

The Caucasus Campaign

Bastogne: Screaming Eagles under Siege

Battles of the Bulge: Celles

Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939

Liberty Roads

Afrika (second edition)

Aspern-Essling 1809..as a great introduction to the series which I fully intend to play more of to the delight of my Napoleonic Fanboy Regular Opponent

The big one I'm looking forward to next year...

Proud Monster Deluxe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Masspequa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
July marked my one year anniversary on BGG so this is my second year. I had a really enjoyable 2013 and played many different games

Favorite game: a tie between Downtown: Air War Over Hanoi and the AH classic Caesars Legions.
Downtown is terrific game, with many interesting scenarios. Have played several ftf sessions that have been tense and lots of fun.

Caesars Legions does not get much love here but I found it to be a hidden gem. Five scenarios that take you from basic to very complex with hidden movement, ambushes etc..The two ftf sessions I played went back and forth and were not decided until the last game turn.

Best Solo Session: Played The Longest Day Invasion Scenario in a conference room at work over the Memorial Day weekend, what a blast!

Best Face to Face Game: A marathon team game of Amatuers to Arms. This is another gem where you never have enough resources and planning is critical to success.
All the games I mentioned I really enjoy look forward to playing in 2014.

Here are the games I own but have not played but would like to in 2014;
Virgin Queen
Battle for Normandy
Caesar at Alesia
Siege of Jerursalem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a lot of solitaire gaming this past year. I played
Red Menace quick easy play and lots of fun
D-Day at Omaha Beach at the moment the most challenging solitaire game I have ever played
Field Commander: Alexander always great the be the man and build a vast empire cool
Phantom Leader Deluxe This is my favorite air war game to date
We Must Tell the Emperor I always have to as I can't seem to get Japan to last too long past the start of the 3rd phase shake
The Barbarossa Campaign Just you, some panzers and a lot of Red Army troops
Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic another solitaire winner that I always have played at least once a year since it came out.

FTF Games:
History of the World first time in ages I broke out this game. Had a great time and my wife is liking it so that is a huge plus.
Taiwan Strait Crisis 1950 A really fun and challenging game no matter which side you play. The variable number of actions each turn is something that would be cool to try with Red Dragon/Green Crescent as this game system is similar in design.
Washington's War, Justinian, 2nd Fleet, and Axis & Allies: WWI 1914 all got a play as well.

Most of the year I spent playing Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game and the expansions that go with it (276 plays to date).

I am REALLY looking forward to the following games which, I hope, I will get for Christmas
The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 Can hardly stand the wait for this one! gulp
Navajo Wars heard lots of good things and I love solitaire games
Campaign Commander Volume III: Punic Island Love ancient Rome and there are just not enough games on The First Punic War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Reilly
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stemcider wrote:
oski93 wrote:

I live about 3 blocks from Endgame. I would love to play a 2-player Coop game of D-Day at Omaha Beach sometime.

That would be great. Do you ever come to the sunday meet up on the first and third sundays?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oski93 wrote:
stemcider wrote:
oski93 wrote:

That would be great. Do you ever come to the sunday meet up on the first and third sundays?

I have been a couple times, but sundays have been busy for me the past several months, and theyve been playing a lot of A Distant Plain lately, which I havent been too interested in learning. I hope to go to the next session (the 17th I think?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
"Yeah I killed women and children, killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another and I'm here to kill you Little Bill"
badge
"It's a Sicilian message. It means Luci Brasi sleeps with the fishes."
mbmbmbmbmb
Favorite wargame played this year:
Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War because it reinvigorated my interest in block wargames.

Best solitaire session:
Played a game of Sword of Rome where I was played every faction. It was the first time I've tried soloing a CDG. I found it more engaging than I expected.

Want to play in 2014:
Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit Expansion Pack #1
Recently picked this up to go along with Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1 which I have had for awhile. The biggest problem I've had learning this game so far is my regular wargaming partner isn't interested in this level of complexity so it will have to be a solo experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew L.
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
There is no try
badge
There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no death, there is the Force.
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems fun. I still consider myself a beginning wargamer, even though I have amassed a nice little collection. On with the review!

Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations. Hands down. My most played, and I picked up the Cthullu expansion for some non-traditional fun. I also have Phantom Leader Deluxe and Thunderbolt Apache Leader waiting in the wings (or rotors, get it?), but haven't really scratched the surface of HL:CAO.

Best F2F Session

I taught 3 separate sessions of Commands & Colors: Ancients to folks in my gaming group, and now some of them are more interested in wargaming. I consider that a success.

Best Solitaire Sessions
I had an epic campaign of Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations, using the introductory Iraq campaign. I forced myself to take a different squad than I normally do. Ton of fun.

Biggest Misfire

I bought Patton's Best on a whim, and I just haven't gotten into it enough. I'm hoping that will change.

The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition)
Asia Engulfed
Europe Engulfed
Navajo Wars(Once Acquired)
Cuba Libre (Thanks Santa Grogs!)

Random Comments
I picked up 3 of my top 5 grail games this year. Europe Engulfed, Asia Engulfed, and a 95% unpunched copy of Breakout: Normandy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands & Colors: Ancients. It's not the deepest or most realistic wargame I have played, but it's fast and just a whole lot of fun. And it has Romans which is always a plus. I particularly enjoy the Epic and Imperial expansions. Still waiting for the reprint of expansions 2 & 3...

Best F2F Session
Friedrich. One of my brothers was in town so we got together my father to try this game. I got the hard job of playing Frederick and got thumped but it was still great fun.

Best Solitaire Sessions
Men of Iron. I'd played and enjoyed Infidel several times previously, both solo and F2F. The first entry in the series was already out of print, so GMT found that stash of old titles, I jumped on this and was lucky enough to secure a copy. So far this seems to be better a solo game as some of the battles are quite unbalanced.

Biggest Misfire
Washington's War. This was the first CDG I tried, and at that point I enjoyed it but didn't really know what I was doing. After trying and enjoying some other CDGs (Wilderness War, Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?, and especially Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage), I then came back to this and found it rather disappointing. I know very little of the war so can't speak to its historical accuracy, but as a game I found the single-purpose cards rather frustrating and limiting.

Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War. I actually had this scheduled to play this year, but life has intervened and now it looks like it'll have to be next year. Still top priority, though - ancients and blocks together in one game, two of my wargaming favourites.
No Retreat! The North African Front. A shiny new low-complexity game that I've only managed to get as far as reading the rules.
Sword of Rome. A friend and I both own a copy and like the period so hopefully between us we can make this happen.
Wilderness War. I just finished reading Crucible of War so it should be a whole lot more interesting now.
FAB: Sicily. I enjoyed FAB: The Bulge and have only tried the mini learning scenario of this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Reilly
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stemcider wrote:
oski93 wrote:
stemcider wrote:
oski93 wrote:

I have been a couple times, but sundays have been busy for me the past several months, and theyve been playing a lot of A Distant Plain lately, which I havent been too interested in learning. I hope to go to the next session (the 17th I think?).

I actually played Distant Plain on Sunday. Never played COIN before. It was interesting in terms of the asymmetry. Next one is Sunday the 15th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Have keyed it down - a lot - quite frankly got sort of burned out after 4 years of full bore gaming.

Less mass attendance, less frequent sessions, but most Saturdays and Thursdays had some gaming in them.

That said;

Best gaming was at PrezCon this year - The epic fun of TNW with great guys, The Blitzkrieg Legend setup and in play, next to Sal playtesting Unconditional Surrender, Chris Baer playing The Last Victory, and met a couple of new friends - played Band of Brothers and No Retreat.

Fred Schacter is always great fun to hang around with. His stories are awesome and his games as well.

Sold off a lot of older games, and got some personal grailage - Mech War 2 and Tokyo Express.

Had some great gaming of TNW later as Melvin visited for a few days.

Let me tell you, TNW is the 'party' game of wargaming with us - and the game play of the guys I met at PrezCon is excellent.

Your opponent is damned good when you feel the urge to curse him....

Started a dive into the La Battaile games this year - two games of Moscowa, and another title - the battle near Jena.

Tried the heck out of "The War" after it was lent to me.

Continued my purchases - every intent was to dive into WW2 strategic warfare and I got "The War", "A World at War" and "Supreme Commander" with "Unconditional Surrender" on the way. Maybe this year I will dive into that as a theme -

And did a bit of Case Blue - the Kharkov/Izyum Scenario - which is really nice to have in that game as it was not part of Case Blue.

Other OCS was some DAK 2 and Sicily.

And, for the first time, Secret Santa participant - hope my mark likes his parcel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hands in the Sea. I was blown away by it. It was a brand new way to play a wargame with endless strategies and possibilities. I poured an insane amount of time developing the Vassal module so that I could have one worthy of the game and so that it would play faster and easier, so that I could play it more often.

These are the games that I discovered in 2013 that were truly exceptional:

Best F2F Session
Three stand out:
Caesar's Gallic War with Mistermarino. It went to the last card and two die rolls are all that separated victory and defeat.
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage: Barteus was in town and we played it and finally figured out how to win with Rome. Unfortunately, I was Carthage.
Storm Over Stalingrad with Mistermarino. It was our first time playing it and I saw the genius of this game pop out in that play.

Notable Vassal Session:
I like all of my Vassal games, but the one that stood out was my second game of For the People with Larz was the one where I saw the greatness in the design. I held out with my rebels until the end of 1864, which was way better than I did with the Union. Plus, the dude said so much funny stuff, I couldn't begin to list it all.

Biggest Misfire
Better research resulted in only 3:
Duel of the Giants: Eastern Front: I wanted PanzerBlitz with plastic, not abstract Tank Battle. But it cost me $5, so it wasn't THAT big of a risk.
Victoria Cross: Everything said "good" until I played it on Vassal. It's not bad, it's just absurd. The British can hit Zulus 2 areas away with rifle fire, but can't tell if there are 1 or 100 until they are in your face in melee? The "fog of war" block idea was a really bad idea and Worthington acknowledged it when they re-released the game 7 years later and did away with the blocks.
No Retreat! The Russian Front: Good game. Beautiful game. Just very frustrating because I approached it as an intro game (many folks say it is), rather than put the time in to really study it. By the time I figured it out it was beefier than I thought, I was too frustrated and over it and traded it. But I won't say it is a bad game. It just is not an intro game.

I put it in a Geeklist:

Biggest gaming achievement
I did 2 big things:

1) Created 24 Vassal logs teaching how to play Empire of the Sun, and that was a massive undertaking.

2) After years of wishing, I finally learned how to create Vassal modules and I created these (well, I will finish the last one before the year is over):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mb
The Guns of Gettysburg. Another masterpiece by Bowen Simmons.
Navajo Wars. A unique and engaging game experience from Joel Toppen.

Best F2F Session
Guns of Gettysburg. Playing with Patrick

Best Solitaire Sessions
Navajo Wars - Unique and challenging and an AI that is slick.
Thunderbolt Apache Leader - Totally engrossing.
Andean Abyss - A challenge for the Govt.

Biggest Misfire
Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815 No mounted board and the map is way too small for the blocks. Not acceptable for a 4th edition.

Same as Patrick above
Guns of Gettysburg with the team rules
Napoleon's Triumph with the team rules
Strike of the Eagle full campaign if possible
No Retreat! The North African Front full campaign
Reluctant Enemies I will give this a go too.

Random Comments
I haven't played all the games I have and some I have only scratched the surface of. Hopefully in 2014 I can refrain from buying new stuff and I can explore in more detail some of these great games on my shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb

Lots of great games in 2013, including my first serious foray into collectable miniatures. Planes, ships, infantry, tanks, you name it, Axis & Allies miniature games saw a lot of table time, and I know it's a slippery slope from here. That said, the year isn't over yet, and I hope to play a few new games before 31 December.

Best New Game: Axis & Allies Air Force
I was looking for a WWII air combat game in which controlling multiple fighters was manageable. I initially picked up A&A Air Force: Angels 20 and Bandits High for the planes, and after reading the rules, I was hooked. It's fast and offers a lot of variety for tactical gaming.

Best Old Game: Combat Commander Series
Despite many new purchases and the current love affair with miniatures, Combat Commander: Europe remains my favorite. The Random Scenario Generator/RSG and huge variety of maps keep the game fresh. I logged my 50th play over the Thanksgiving break and see no end in sight.

Best Multiplayer Game: Tie A Distant Plain and 1775: Rebellion
The tension in ADP is hard to beat. In both my sessions so far, the warlord faction won, but the narrative was very different. If you've played the other GMT COIN Series games, it's easy to pick up. 1775: Rebellion provides an equally satisfying narrative. It's lighter, faster, and more accessible to non-wargamers.

Best Individual Game Session: Axis & Allies Air Force at GenCon
I played in an A&A: Angels 20 tournament at GenCon that ran most of the weekend. However, the best session was a B-17 bomber escort scenario with P-51 Mustangs versus just about everything in the Luftwaffe inventory. It was a blast, coming down to the final B-17 limping off the board with its last hit point to ensure the Allied victory.

Games in 2014: Many
This is, at best, an incomplete list. It includes several Vietnam games that I'm itching to get to the table.
Hearts and Minds: Vietnam 1965-1975 Still waiting on my Kickstarter copy. I sold my original, assuming that the reprint was just around the corner--hopefully by Christmas.
In Country: Vietnam 1965-75
Lock 'N Load: ANZAC Attack Preordered the reprint long ago.
Sealords: The Vietnam War in the Mekong Delta
Second World War at Sea: Coral Sea
Low entry cost to give this series a try.
Check Your 6! Starting to see a lot of play already as another use for all those airplane miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
Continuing Favorites:
Squad Leader
2nd Fleet (i.e. the Fleet Series)

Best First Sessions Of A "New" Game:
Eclipse

Best Accomplishment:
Bismarck (outstanding win as the Germans)

Worst Humiliations:
Can't figure out how to win on the iPad "Battle of the Bulge" and "Drive on Moscow"

Note: going through my Plays for this year I realize I'm pretty bad at recording them - there are a bunch I missed and of course can't recall them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
ermj1986 wrote:
I did a lot of gaming so it is hard for me to categorize.

I'll do it this way:

Solo-ed

Search & Destroy
Beda Fomm
Africa Orientale
June 6
NFL Franchise
Red Star/White Eagle: The Russo-Polish War, 1920
Cobra
Successors
Sideshow: The Campaign for German East Africa 1914-1918
Alexandros
Outlaws: Adventures in the Old West
L.A. Lawless
Bastogne: Screaming Eagles under Siege
The Great Battles of Julius Caesar: The Civil Wars 48-45 B.C.
Thunder at the Crossroads (second edition)
Operation Cannibal
Risk
Peloponnesian War
France 1944: The Allied Crusade in Europe
Assyrian Wars
The Italian Campaign Series
Baltimore & Ohio
Dune
Empires of the Middle Ages
Lost Victory: Manstein At Kharkov, Winter 1943
Pax Romana
Conquest of Paradise
Second World War at Sea: Bismarck
Triumph & Glory: Battles of the Napoleonic Wars 1796-1809
13: The Colonies in Revolt
Poland '39: The Nightmare Begins
This Accursed Civil War
Origins of World War II
Red Russia
Rio Grande: The Battle of Valverde
Founding Fathers
Tears of the Dragon
Eagle Day: The Battle of Britain
Target: Libya
War of the Rebellion
Across 5 Aprils
Arcola: The Battle for Italy, 1796
Operation Shoestring: The Guadalcanal Campaign, 1942
The Legend of Robin Hood
The Awful Green Things From Outer Space

Wrote Replays

Operation Felix
Lion of Ethiopia
War of the Ring
Pedregal: Santa Anna at Bay
Sword of Rome
Pavia: Climax of the Italian Wars
Breitenfeld: Enter the Lion of the North
Chariots of Fire
The Sun Never Sets volume II
Pacific Battles: Nomonhan, 1939
Liberté
Great War at Sea: 1904-1905, The Russo-Japanese War
Paydirt
Axis Empires: Dai Senso!
Border War: Angola Raiders
Congo Merc: The Congo, 1964
Civil War in the Far West: The New Mexico Campaign, 1862
Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg!
Salem Church: East of Chancellorsville
Chantilly: Jackson's Missed Opportunity
Molino Del Rey: Gateway to Mexico City
Saalfeld: Prelude to Jena – 10 October 1806
Yom Kippur
Soldiers of the Queen: Battles at Isandhlwana and Omdurman
The Russo-Swedish War
The Egyptian Campaign
The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition)
Lebanon '82: Operation Peace for Galilee
Green Hell (Burma 1944-1945)
Baton Rouge: Street Fighting in the Louisiana Capital, August 5, 1862
Pea Ridge: The Gettysburg of the West March 7-8 1862
Arsuf: Lionheart vs. Saladin
Operation Michael

Opposed

Monopoly
Pay Day
Chutes and Ladders VCR
Sorry!
Candy Land
Monopoly Junior
Raceway 57

Photos of my face to face gaming

Item for Geeklist "My Game Collection 2017: In Historical Order, Photos"

Item for Geeklist "My Game Collection 2017: In Historical Order, Photos"

You really slacked off this year

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Awesome, read some great AARs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I finished a FTF game of World in Flames, all the way to the bitter end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.