Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking at the unique ship's ability of the Aj'rmr and started pondering ways of playing into it a little.

Seeing as it's a ship that actually thrives on damage, it'd make a pretty good reckless flyer to bait Barrage of Fire attacks.

If you take it with Letant (or whoever) and Cheat Death, you can come back from destruction with the ideal amount of damage cards to use for re-rolls (this would be the perfect time to come out of cloak and switch to shields, I figure).

You could even go one further with it and put the Independent (Klingon) flagship card under it. It'll boost its agility up to 3, its hull up to 7, and its attack up to 4 (gotta have something worth re-rolling after all). You could even put a second Cheat Death or I Stab at Thee on it, or a couple of Interphase Generators, and you'd gain a Scan action.

That'd make for a fairly tough little (big?) ship.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pritchard
msg tools
I found this ship to be really good when it came down to it. Run it out front, soak some damage and bam, free rerolls. Partner with some attack boosters and I have no complaints about this ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you could put Mirok on to try to maintain a balance after it gets pounded. Also, with his low captain rating, you could get the effect in the same turn as the hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Aj'rmr makes a wonderful platform for a Romulan flagship. My favorite way to play it is to make Mirok its captain.

With the Flagship upgrade, the additional dodge and shield give it decent defense even when uncloaked. The flagship upgrade gives all the other ships nearby re-rolls to their attacks for free, making their attacks much deadlier on average. Even with a Barrage of Fire, an opponent is hard pressed to knock the ship out in one shot. Mirok can repair some damage the subsequent activation and then cloak.

The synergy behind this combination cannot be overstated. Flagships by their nature have a bulls eye painted on them. The Aj'rmr by the nature of its ability wants to be targeted. And the Romulans have arguably the best healing currently offered with Mirok.

Generally I would run two Valdores, one named, in formation with the Aj'rmr, but if you feel like spending points on upgrades, there's a lot of flexibility. I like the idea of N'vek on the Aj'rmr for the opening volley- he saves a disabled shield for next round if you desire to cloak, but you still have an effective 10 hp an opponent has to chew through to kill you. And you get a +1 to attack, beefing it up to 5 dice on your primary weapon with the flagship.

It's definitely a strategy that rewards aggressive play. I'd love to get my hands on a copy to test it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is a good idea. Up til now I'd been at a loss with how to use the Aj'rmr.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Aj'rmr is aggressive by Romulan standards. It wants to be fighting, to deal damage and take some too.

Give it toys that support a play style like that and it's one of the beastliest Romulan ships yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.