Popular Tags: [View All]
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished a solo game of Rorke's Drift using the programmed placement and movement rules for the Zulus. I enjoyed the game, but the solo movement rules result in the Zulus primarily moving right and left and not advancing forward. It just seemed liked the Zulu side is pretty ineffective using the solo rules. Just curious regarding how you play solo - solo rules or playing both sides?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Richards
Australia
Mittagong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used two different styles, both to good effect.
They both used the dice roll to determine entry point then style one is where I then play the Zulus as if I was the Zulu player, and style two is more to reflect some unpredictability, so I take the idea of further dice rolls determining movement, but like you have pointed out there is often excessive sideways movement, so I do the following.

1 or 2 - Forward one area (cautious advance)
3 or 4 - Forward maximum areas, ie two if leader etc (charge)
5 - Split force (half left half forward) or with leader, one left one forward etc
6 - split force (half right half forward)

I have varied this at times with other options but find this keeps the forward momentum of Zulus, with the entry point creating randomness.

I also like the free deployment option, ie play Zulus as Zulus, as that way you can concentrate a force, or bring home attacks.

Both ways plays equally well, but they both play a lot better than the solo rules as written, which like most solo games (field commander is a prime example) where there are just some forced decisions that are just not practical or realistic. I know some people view this as luck, or representing an incompetent leader but for me, it can hurt a game.

I hope my suggestions help as I play this game solo a lot and really enjoy the solo plays.

In fact I think this is a better game solo than face to face, as with face to face you can often predict entry points and strategies. The random entry point is what makes this game a different experience each play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. I feel the same as you regarding solo AI systems that feel forced, it is why I generally prefer playing both sides. But some level of randomness, particularly here in this game, adds a bunch to the experience. It is why I like chit pull games, random events and even card drawing.

I like your suggested table and will give that a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.