Subject: Movement & Range & grey cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Bgaming
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Played several rounds this evening and a few questions popped up I couldn't find an answer for so please forgive me if they are addressed in the rulebook.

1)Movement: Can you occupy the same space as your opponent?

If you have your back to the wall and you play a cards that says you have to move 1 or 2 spaces regardless of it being advance, retreat or just move do you move through the opponent if he is blocking your path?

Does the space you move to get through your opponent count as 1 of those moves?

2)Range: If a style has a +0-1 range and the base played with it has a range of 1 does it work out to have a range of 1-2?

3) Grey base cards: After the grey base cards is used is it removed from the game or does it go into discards like a normal base?

Thank you so much ahead of time. Really appreciate it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vines
United States
Blue Springs
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) No.
1a) Yes, in fact you must move at least to the space on the other side of your opponent. That is 1 space. You can then choose to move one more space away from your opponent, that is the second space of your move.
2) Yes.
3) If you mean the character's unique base. It goes into the 1st discard with the style you played with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Parsa
Germany
flag msg tools
It's better
badge
if you can do without
mbmbmb
Answers given above are correct.

Movement is illustrated on page 23 of the rulebook.

Unique bases (the grey ones) behave like any other base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fiyero wrote:
If you have your back to the wall and you play a cards that says you have to move 1 or 2 spaces regardless of it being advance, retreat or just move do you move through the opponent if he is blocking your path?

mvines wrote:
1)
1a) Yes, in fact you must move at least to the space on the other side of your opponent. That is 1 space. You can then choose to move one more space away from your opponent, that is the second space of your move.

Just for clarity, if its specifically retreat and your back is against a wall, do you advance instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Fiyero wrote:
If you have your back to the wall and you play a cards that says you have to move 1 or 2 spaces regardless of it being advance, retreat or just move do you move through the opponent if ze is blocking your path?

mvines wrote:
1)

Just for clarity, if its specifically retreat and your back is against a wall, do you advance instead?

No. If a card says "retreat" and you can't retreat, you don't. But if it says "move" and you can advance, you have to 'choose' to advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
No. If you "move", then you have to move in either direction, but if you "retreat" when your back is against the wall or "advance" when your opponent is against the wall and you are right next to them, you don't go anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
Fiyero wrote:
If you have your back to the wall and you play a cards that says you have to move 1 or 2 spaces regardless of it being advance, retreat or just move do you move through the opponent if ze is blocking your path?

mvines wrote:
1)

No. If a card says "retreat" and you can't retreat, you don't. But if it says "move" and you can advance, you have to 'choose' to advance.

That's precisely what I thought, but the way the sentences I quoted were worded, it was confusing me.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
grasa_total wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
Fiyero wrote:

mvines wrote:
1)

That's precisely what I thought, but the way the sentences I quoted were worded, it was confusing me.

Thanks.

Brad mentioned somewhere that the terms Advance, Retreat, Push and Pull represent the direction you move at the start of the movement. If you think of it this way it becomes simpler, especially when you might pull an opponent past your character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rook96 wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
grasa_total wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
Fiyero wrote:

mvines wrote:
1)

Thanks.

Brad mentioned somewhere that the terms Advance, Retreat, Push and Pull represent the direction you move at the start of the movement. If you think of it this way it becomes simpler, especially when you might pull an opponent past your character.

Yeah, I got all that already. I was just asking because it was worded oddly in the question so it had me doing a double take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brock
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is, does "Pull 1 for each X" equate to Pull 1, then Pull 1, then Pull 1... and so on. Or Pull 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Parsa
Germany
flag msg tools
It's better
badge
if you can do without
mbmbmb
Halos wrote:
The question is, does "Pull 1 for each X" equate to Pull 1, then Pull 1, then Pull 1... and so on. Or Pull 3?

It's the former: Pull 1, Pull 1, Pull 1.
Effects are clearly worded differently if they want to achieve the latter.
i.e. Pull a number of spaces equal to [the number of] X.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phyr wrote:
[q="Halos"]It's the former: Pull 1, Pull 1, Pull 1.
Effects are clearly worded differently if they want to achieve the latter.
i.e. Pull a number of spaces equal to [the number of] X.

I don't think much can be deduced from the fact that it's worded differently-- wording doesn't tend to be very consistent in BattleCON. Is this an official ruling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Parsa
Germany
flag msg tools
It's better
badge
if you can do without
mbmbmb
No, it's not official. But you'd have to assume that it was wrongly worded to get Pull 3 out of it.

There is another wording for the repeated Pull 1.
Clinhyde's Toxic: Advance 1 space. Repeat this effect for each Stim you have active.
But it's different in that those are multiple movement effects, while the example above is only 1. The difference becomes relevant when Lesandra's Binding is used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phyr wrote:
But it's different in that those are multiple movement effects, while the example above is only 1. The difference becomes relevant when Lesandra's Binding is used.

If "Pull 1, pull 1, pull 1" is still only considered one movement effect (not three), then I have less of an objection to it, but that itself seems surprising to me.

If only we had a Comprehensive Rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brock
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
Phyr wrote:

If "Pull 1, pull 1, pull 1" is still only considered one movement effect (not three), then I have less of an objection to it, but that itself seems surprising to me.

If only we had a Comprehensive Rules!

200 pages of numbered paragraphs. Yes please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Denning
msg tools
I don't see "pull 1 pull 1 pull 1" making any sense. If it were intended to be 3 different pull effects, it would say "pull the opponent 1 space ONCE for every damage dealt." It's a subtle difference, but it's the difference between pulling them multiple times (one pull per damage) and pulling them once, but one space per damage (the intent, and the way it's written. "Pull them (one pull) ONE SPACE PER DAMAGE.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.