mks
Poland
Loguivy
Côtes d'Armor, Bretagne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in short: I like the way mutiny cards add to the options of the game, but I don't like how the original mechanisms force you to play them (we had a game where several characters couldn't do anything else and so they skipped what they wanted to do to get rid of those cards). in my opinion, becoming a mutineer is a decition you could take agains those in power, if you have no titles, but feel like thing are not going well (at least for your race). but you should also be aware of the consequences.

I'd like to propose the following variant with two possible result mechanisms: there are many ways to gain a mutiny card, you are always limited to the number you can keep in hand (1 for the most), so getting another forces you two discard one and keep one. however, there is no obligation to play a card, it is up to you to decide to carry a normal action, or play a mutiny action. but there can be consequences for the latter.

option (1): you roll a die, for 5-7 you are sent to the brig, for 8 you are executed. this is more of a luck-driven option, for which I haven't playtested the numbers, but 1/2 chance to end up well and 1/2 to be punished seems fun.

option (2): your futures will be determined by the admiral and president, which can discard 3 skill cards each to put you in the brig, or 5 cards each to execute you. this seems more thematic as Adama and Roslin administration used to determine such things between them. again, the number of cards is not playtested, but I'm thinking that discarding 3 (or 5) means that if that person doesn't have enough, he cannot do it.

well, what do you think? I am sure going to try it out a few times. my only concern is, if there are any elements in the came making the variant contradict them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
spadovsky wrote:
option (2): your futures will be determined by the admiral and president, which can discard 3 skill cards each to put you in the brig, or 5 cards each to execute you.

I think you got this backwards. Why do they need to pay cards to put you into the brig when you decided to act well and not Mutiny?

How many times have you played with Daybreak? Getting Mutiny is a very random thing, and most often a hidden Cylon's best way to affect the events.

Also, most of the Mutiny cards have very beneficial effects, although with a cost (the negative side of the effect). So, most of the time the problem is getting the correct time to play them, not the Mutiny card itself. (And XO more, so you can perform two actions.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mks
Poland
Loguivy
Côtes d'Armor, Bretagne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
spadovsky wrote:
option (2): your futures will be determined by the admiral and president, which can discard 3 skill cards each to put you in the brig, or 5 cards each to execute you.

I think you got this backwards. Why do they need to pay cards to put you into the brig when you decided to act well and not Mutiny?

How many times have you played with Daybreak? Getting Mutiny is a very random thing, and most often a hidden Cylon's best way to affect the events.

Also, most of the Mutiny cards have very beneficial effects, although with a cost (the negative side of the effect). So, most of the time the problem is getting the correct time to play them, not the Mutiny card itself. (And XO more, so you can perform two actions.)

with mutiny cards there are not always "acting well". it's like with choosing in crises, there is something good, for a cost, and both the profit and the cost can be hard to judge at a given moment, making those cards good for both human which suspect title personas to be underperforming, and for hidden cylons trying to mess around and maybe prepare for their strike. so I don't really agree that those are obvious cards to play, therefore an obligation of playing them in the rules by a fear of brig. however, this fear made the game too pushy to use those in our games. and I do totally agree that the timing of them is cruitial, but being forced to play them every turn, makes the timing dissapear, while not every time there is an xo card to play, and not everyone knowns how benefitial the card would be besides the person who has it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Renaud
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both of your options. Could you combine them?

When you gain a second mutiny card, discard down to 1 then:

Roll 1-4 go to the brig
Roll 5-7 the admiral may discard 3 cards to brig you
Roll 8 the president may discard 5 cards to execute you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Zhang
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
How about this:

Whenever you draw a Mutiny card, the Admiral's Quarters is immediately activated against you with difficulty reduced by the number of Mutiny cards in your hand.

Incidentally, this makes Tigh more useful too

EDIT: Incidentally, this make original Zarek more useful too if you allow his ability to apply to the Admiral's Quarters check resulting from the Administration action!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.