Eight-Minute Empire: Legends» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2-player attacking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Landon Friesen
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I got the chance to goldfish a couple 2 player games last night, and one thing stuck out to me. In 2 player, you put out 10 armies of an unused color across the board and the rules say to treat them like regular armies for scoring, but doesn't specify that they can be attacked. I would assume they could, but it's not clear.

The first problem was that the Red Sorceress' power (take killed armies, 1 vp per 3 armies) gets completely shut down by the 'immune to attack' guy (especially early game)if you can't attack ANYBODY.
In the original EME, there were only a couple attack cards, and with the ability to hit anyone anywhere, you usually wanted to hit the other player, so this wasn't really an issue. With 4 or 5 (?) attack cards and potentially no targets, Dire Giant seems overpowered in 2 player legends, unless you have the chance to attack the neutral player (or lost tribes, for Small World fans).

By the way, loving the game. The art and component quality are out of the park, and drafting abilities rather than just collecting sets makes the decisions much more meaningful. Can't wait for a real playthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the 2-player game, you can attack the neutral armies (which keeps the Dire Giant from being too strong).

Thanks! I hope you enjoy it when you get to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
lardombardom wrote:
I got the chance to goldfish a couple 2 player games last night

Goldfish?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Landon Friesen
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
hatemachine wrote:
lardombardom wrote:
I got the chance to goldfish a couple 2 player games last night

Goldfish?

Just playing against myself. It was a term when I played Magic; just drawing your deck and playing against no opponent. So I kind of used it wrong, since I was controlling 2 players.

I guess solo would be a better term, unless there's a better shorthand to use?

@Ryan; thanks for the quick reply. I dig your style, components, and clear rules. My original EME gets a good amount of play, and even the S.O. likes it (not a big gamer). Now I keep reading reviews on City of Iron and wondering if I could get her to try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of the two-player game, has anyone tried 8ME with each of the two players controlling two colors?

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Landon Friesen
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
AndAgainMA wrote:
Speaking of the two-player game, has anyone tried 8ME with each of the two players controlling two colors?

Andrew

That sounds intriguing. I really like the number of turns you get in 2 player, but that could be a nice twist. Have an army to spread out quickly, and one to fight for territory near the start point...hmmmm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Landon Friesen
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
One other 2 player attacking question. The Bandit King leader steals a coin from a player he attacks. When he kills a neutral army, does he steal from the bank, or just not get a benefit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lardombardom wrote:
One other 2 player attacking question. The Bandit King leader steals a coin from a player he attacks. When he kills a neutral army, does he steal from the bank, or just not get a benefit?

He steals from the bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.