United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my reviews!
badge
All Hail the Burger King!
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I played a 2 player game of Battue: Storm of the Horse Lords tonight. It is my first time ever playing this game. Battue is a turn based exploratory combat game. A good friend suggested this game to me so I picked it up at GenCon 2013 for $5 (along with the expansion for an additional $3). Battue is designed for 2-4 players and has a play time of 60 minutes. Here is my review.

PROS: The rules are uncomplicated and fairly straight forward. It took all of 15 minutes to read through them without any confusion. The horsemen and flag standard miniatures are made of a nice solid plastic giving them strong durability. My favorite part of the game is the Event and Loot cards. They add an element to the game that is both fun (Event cards) and somewhat strategic (Loot cards). The simplicity of combat is fast, but feels appropriate for the game. A full game lasted about 60 minutes, which is exactly what the box stated. Lastly, I like the randomization and the secrecy of the board. The layout will be different every single time.

CONS: I have a fair amount of drawbacks for this game, but most of them have little to do with the way the game plays. First, the tiles are a bit touchy when you turn them over. It can be difficult to flip a tile without disturbing everything on the board. Speaking of the tiles, the quality is somewhat lacking due to the fact that they are slightly warped and identifiable due to printing errors. Storage is also an issue; the box barely holds the miniatures and the tiles tend to bang around loosely in the box causing them to get dinged up. Those dings can also create identifying marks on the tiles which is not good in a game where they are supposed to be kept secret until revealed. I also feel the game should have come with tokens or markers to track things like whether a revealed tile can be looted again. Fortunately I have plenty of generic tokens lying around, so this wasn't a major issue, but one worth noting. Finally, I think the game has more to do with luck than a sound strategy, although it is still fun to play.

Bottom line, I am very happy that I bought this game based upon a friend’s recommendation. It was a fun experience and I am looking forward to playing it again with the expansion (The Walls of Tarsos). Battue: Storm of the Horse Lords earns a solid grade of B on my grading scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad McCoy
United States
Vilonia
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, love this game. I have 2 copies of the base game and 2 copies of the expansion. I used the two games to put together a good single copy (switched out tiles that were too warped or torn), and a glue stick fixed most of the issues with the paper coming off the back of several of the tiles.

From what I understand, the company was good about replacing these tiles until they went out of business, so I just purchased a second copy of the game and expansion (both for $5) and most of the issues were solved this way.

I don't have any problem turning tiles over, but the top-heavy miniatures do fall over a lot. I've been thinking about gluing a wider base onto the bottoms to prevent this.

And as for storage, if you create a "tetris-style" pattern of interlocking tiles in the bottom of the box and then stack like tiles upon like tiles, you'll have more than enough room for everything in the box.

As a Risk fan, I love Battue even more. The event cards give the game something of a storyline feel to it, which I enjoy.

I would have loved to see an expansion event deck, but it's a great game as-is. It's too bad more people haven't heard of it and it's a shame that the company isn't around anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stein
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We got this out today after our group dropped down to only 4. It's been a few years, so it was fresh to the others. What a hoot! The loot cards make the game, and if it comes down to some luck, so what? Beer & Pretzels.

See my post elsewhere for some house rules that even out the luck a bit. (When I get around to posting).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.