6 Posts

Hold the Line: Frederick's War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cavalry charge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric H
msg tools
mbmb
Can light cavalry move three hexes as part of its charge move? Or is the target hex considered part of the movement (reducing its actual move before combat to two hexes)?

I have the same question on heavy cavalry. Can it move two hexes before its charge combat? Or is it limited to one hex and the charge combat?

I take the rules text to mean that cavalry can make its full move and then undertake charge combat against an adjacent enemy unit, but the two examples in the accompanying illustration both show one hex fewer than what I would interpret as the maximum move, and the arrows on the illustration extend into the hex occupied by the targeted unit -- hence my question.

Thanks! Great game by the way.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I've been playing that the limit to movement applies to the attacked hex. That is, light cav move at most 2 spaces, then charge into the third.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
What Sag said is the way to interpret the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric H
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks to both of you for the quick responses. I've enjoyed reading your posts for years, Sean -- and of course playing the game as well. Keep at it!

I've tried to post a picture a miniatures version (using Napoleonics, unfortunately, but better than nothing). Hope it makes it into the site.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Eric. I can't wait for your pictures to come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've been playing this wrong. Maybe I'm missing something, but the rules as written do not make this clear. Most games at this level and of this system's close relatives do not limit charging cavalry to one less hex of movement before the charge.

I'm not saying that the rule is bad, just that it isn't written down in the rulebook! Please post this as errata or as a rule addition, Sean, so that everyone can agree to play it the way you intend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.