Bryan Ruhe
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, all!

I'm really happy to see so much support and enthusiasm for this game. I was so bummed that the KS didn't work out but perhaps through the efforts here we'll even improve on what might have been. So many creative minds here.

I was thinking that it'd be awesome to have tokens for the traits instead of cards. Thick,double-sided circular tokens with the image on one side and the name/description on the reverse.

Is there any chance I can get just the trait graphics from someone? I was thinking I could just isolate them from the updated card files but the header seems to get in the way.

Also - are we stuck with the resolution of the trait symbols on the cards? They're pretty grainy - another reason I was thinking of doing tokens (printing them a little smaller than they are on the cards would clear up some of the grain). Or is there a way we can higher-res images of those graphics?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

b

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Barnes
United States
San Jose
CA
flag msg tools
mb
The trait icons on the cards were pulled from the iPad version of the game. Unfortunately these are the highest resolution versions we can get without either A) Contacting Stardock for the original assets or B) Illegally disassembling the game's .ipa file and ripping the assets.

If you are looking for the isolated trait graphics that are on the crads, try asking malkie13. He is the one who made the Trait Cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ruhe
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...And while we're on the subject: typeface? Has this been shared with us? The closest I could find was 'Minion Capital Condensed Semibold'

I'd be using the typeface for the token backs.

I hope you aren't all misinterpreting this as me taking liberties to which I am not entitled... I just want to make a version of this game that I'll love forever...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ruhe
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TRB4 wrote:
A) Contacting Stardock for the original assets

Is there any good reason to not do this? Do you think if I explained my motivations that they might allow me to use the graphic files?

If not I may still be able to make decent 0.79" dia tokens.

TRB4 wrote:
If you are looking for the isolated trait graphics that are on the crads, try asking malkie13. He is the one who made the Trait Cards.

I will do that... Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Barnes
United States
San Jose
CA
flag msg tools
mb
bryanruhe wrote:
...And while we're on the subject: typeface? Has this been shared with us? The closest I could find was 'Minion Capital Condensed Semibold'

I'd be using the typeface for the token backs.

I hope you aren't all misinterpreting this as me taking liberties to which I am not entitled... I just want to make a version of this game that I'll love forever...

The fonts were also discovered by malkie13. Here is the post:

malkie13 wrote:
Aha! I found the fonts!
Most of the text is from the IM Fell font family http://www.dafont.com/im-fell-types.font Paricularly IM Fell English and IM Fell English SC (as well as the it (italic) versions of those). The other font (the numbers on the cards) looks to be UnifrakturCook http://www.ffonts.net/UnifrakturCook.font

I would suggest that you take the time to read through both of these topics in order to see how much work we have done on improving this game

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1070594/how-are-folks-planni...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1074782/rules-tips-clarifica...

malkie13 has also done a lot of work designing play mats and a tuck box for the game. But by all means, if you have any ideas on how to improve the game further, please share. Always happy to see more people interested in contributing new content
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ted covered everything pretty well. Unfortunately, the file I sent you have the traits as high res as I could grab them. I found the fonts by being an obsessive monkey with access to a LOT of fonts. Thankfully they appear to all be free license fonts, so I'm happy to pass them along to anyone that might need them.

I actually did ponder tokens myself at one point, but I actually really like the idea of everything being self contained in a little card box. Since I'm getting two sets of cards, I will almost certainly have two sets of the game. One that fits in the tuckbox, and a deluxe version that has room for the mats and the gems (or whatever else I use for markers). I may get bored and rig up some Trait tokens just because I think blind drawing them might be a fun way to go about it, but I can't see myself doing this anytime soon. I've got a set of 150 tokens for Netrunner I need to get to first (take a look here http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1077655/uniform-token-redesi... if your curious about my process of want any tips on the actual production of chipboard tokens).

I make a LOT of stuff for my own games. It's rare that I have one that I haven't at least made a new box insert for (because game companies usually make completely shit box inserts). For nearly all of my card based games I've made all new boxes. Some are just tuckboxes, some I've got whole hog and used chipboard and large format wrap prints and everything. I've also made quite a few components. I'm glad to offer tips for any of that sort of thing if people need them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ruhe
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to get these finished soon... I'm using the 0.79" circular token template from Print Play Games.

Yes - the text ends up being pretty small. But it will definitely be legible.

The reason I went for smaller tokens is because I wanted the trait symbols to be as crisp as possible without being super super tiny.

There is something nice about the game all fitting into a tuckbox, but I'm thinking this would be a perfect game for a Fantasy Flight-style card game box (like Space Hulk: Death Angel). The tokens would lend themselves handily to such a format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nicely done! Amusingly enough, Death Angel is one of the boxes I'm pondering mimicking for the deluxe box.

My worry with these, honestly, is cutting them out. Curves suck in chipboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ruhe
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malkie13 wrote:
Nicely done! Amusingly enough, Death Angel is one of the boxes I'm pondering mimicking for the deluxe box.

My worry with these, honestly, is cutting them out. Curves suck in chipboard.

They do. They REALLY do.

If you're cool with having someone else do it, Andrew at printplaygames.com can do a set of tokens (he uses exactly the template I'm creating the graphics on) and cut them for you (he's got a sweet die cutting setup). $3.75 for 48 double-side printed white chipboard tokens. And all you'd have to do is send him the files I'm creating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I somehow didn't even know that was a thing that existed. My wallet may soon regret knowing it. -_-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ruhe
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing that becomes problematic with the tokens - as opposed to the playing mats - is that if multiple players want the same traits, duplicate tokens would be necessary.

4 players, you could be looking at 68 tokens... Definitely not a small box game anymore.

But I love your idea of blind drawing tokens. Though the same could be accomplished with the cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah. We had the same debate with the trait cards, hehe. Like, do we need 64 of them? 17 traits, two are two-player only, so (15*4)+(2*2) = 64. If you're playing without the playmats, the idea was to just leave out whichever traits are picked and players put some sort of marker onto the card to indicate they have it, or what have you. If it's only $5 or so to have tokens made, that's really not much to add that aspect for picking traits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.