Hide
12 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Tournament Report & Decklists: 1st Place, FFG December Monthly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ajar
msg tools
The Fantasy Flight Games Event Center (where Worlds was hosted) has a weekly Netrunner night on Mondays. Usually it’s open play and a good chance to try out your decks against other decent players, FFG staffers, and/or get crushed by Lukas Litzsinger, but on the first Monday of each month, they have a constructed tournament. I showed up with more or less the same Noise ice trash deck that I went 3-2 with at the Worlds Second Chance tourney, along with my trusty Andromeda. I’ve been feeling Noise lately, though, so I decided to stick with that, but threw in an Armitage for some more econ. On the corp side, I had a tweaked version of the HB:CB big ice deck that I went 0-5 with at Worlds Second Chance, going to time for a 1-2pt loss in almost every round. But I also had a new iceless Jinteki deck I’d built but not tested, an adaptation of the new 16-agenda Jinteki decks that run relatively little ice (shout-out to Jamieson!). I’ve been wanting to get into playing Jinteki for quite a while, and I was really excited about this deck, so I decided to try it out.

There were actually quite a few Jinteki players, interestingly enough. Maybe 4 of the 10 players.

Round 1 vs C on NBN FA / Andromeda.
Noise vs NBN FA:
Facechecking a Muckraker on R&D very early puts me into tag-me mode. He follows up with Closed Accounts to zero me out from ~4c. I stay pretty poor for the rest of the game, but I manage to Parasite both the Muckraker and his HQ ice. He scores a Beale and something else in a remote that I decline to facecheck, focusing on R&D and HQ runs. He does re-ice, but I SMC into Mimic and keep running. Focusing on the centrals turns out to be the right plan, since I pull a Breaking News and Restructured Datapool from R&D, followed by another Breaking News and an AstroScript from HQ for the win.

Jinteki PE vs Andromeda:
I put my Hokusai on a remote instead of on R&D. Oops. He samples R&D slowly over a period of many turns, drawing back up to avoid the threat of Ronins and EMPs. He runs a remote once on his first turn, hitting a Profiteering, but otherwise focuses on R&D. I install a second Hokusai in a remote to protect a Jackson. Double oops. I have no ice, and his caution eventually wins out despite the fact that I popped a Snare.

Round 2 vs J on HB FA / Noise.
Jinteki PE vs Whizzard:

I mulligan into a nice opener, going install, install, Shipment from Kaguya on my first turn. I’ve got more than enough credits to pop any of my traps and two remotes with one advancement each. However, he chooses correctly and grabs the Gila Hands. I never see a Hokusai, but I continue the shell games, slow advancing various agendas and traps in various unprotected remotes and plinking him down as we both score agendas… until he runs HQ with too few cards in hand, hits Fetal AI, and dies.

Noise vs HB FA:

I play a first-turn Medium, and spend a few turns digging R&D, scoring a Vitruvius before he gets ice up. He scores an Efficiency Committee, using all three counters to purge my virus counters. I facecheck R&D on click 4, hitting Eli. A little risky, but I had 4 in hand at the time and he had 5-7c. I respond by installing Corroder on my next turn and continuing to dig R&D. He and I each score agendas until the score is 6-6. At this point, my R&D digs are up to 3-4 deep and are only hitting ice. Knowing that he has lots of ice coming, I decide to dig as deep as possible while my window is open, running R&D click one and then Surging my Medium to access 9 cards. I don’t hit a single agenda, and he purges virus counters again. Since I know I have some time to get set up, I spend it building econ with Daily Casts, Armitage, and two Cyberfeeders, and a “rig” with SMC. When about 4 of the known cards are left, I start running R&D again. He’s put a second ice down on it, but I have the economy to run it more or less with impunity. I dig deep enough and quick enough to find the next agenda in his deck and take the game.

Round 3 vs J on HB FA / Kate.
As it turns out, J was the only other player to have a 2-0 in the first 2 rounds, and his 2-0 was a timed win – everyone else had split. That put me seeded first, which felt very strange because I’m used to being at the bottom tables in tournaments. This match was played at table 1, with Lukas sitting next to us. Someone joked that it was a feature match.

Noise vs HB FA:
He immediately ices HQ and R&D, then starts building his econ. I elect to sit back and build up rather than facecheck, since he has enough cash to rez something really nasty. Daily Casts and Armitage net me some credits, but if memory serves he does score something (Vitruvius?) in this window. I install Datasucker, Bishop the R&D ice, draw until I find SMC, then run R&D. He rezzes Eli, so I SMC into Corroder, which breaks the 2-strength Eli for 2c, and pull a Project Wotan. Throughout this game we’ve been jokingly talking in corporate lingo, so I quip that his third quarter returns weren’t looking great. He adds another ice to R&D, and I respond by installing another SMC, double bouncing the Bishop to get it on the outer R&D ice, and running again. He rezzes, I SMC into Yog.0 to break it with Datasucker tokens. Corroder breaks Eli and I pull a Corporate War. Running R&D seems to be going well, so I repeat and pull an Efficiency Committee for the game.

It turned out that in his last game, a lot of his agendas were clumped at the bottom of his deck, which was why the match had gone to time. The opposite was definitely true in this game. This win was very lucky – good draws for me and agenda flood for him.

Jinteki PE vs Kate:
I open with Celebrity Gift, revealing two False Lead, Snare, Neural EMP, and Jackson Howard. I install something. He winces and runs it; False Lead. He runs HQ and pulls the other False Lead. I install Jackson in a remote and add the Hokusai I just drew -- for some reason it still didn’t occur to me to put it on R&D. I want the Jackson to draw back up, but the first Hokusai should almost always go on R&D. 3c the runner spends to trash Jackson is 3c the runner can’t spend to trash Hokusai (which costs 4c to trash).

I score a Nisei and use it to end a click four run that would have stolen the third False Lead. From there, I rebuild and maintain a spread of partially advanced remotes. J mixes up his runs between remotes and R&D, slowly losing cards as he hits agendas and the Snare I pop. When I have lots of money, 3 Neural EMPs in hand, and a double advanced Ronin on the board, I make a critical error: I think he’s on the second click when he’s on his third, and miss my chance to use False Lead. He draws a card with his fourth click, putting him just out of reach of flatline. I triple EMP anyway to zero him out. He draws back up and runs R&D; I pop Jackson to reshuffle the EMPs. He digs and comes up empty. I draw into one of the EMPs, but his next dig pulls the seventh point. Game over.

Wrap-up:
With 8 prestige to J’s 7, I took the tournament. My options were an uncut Cyber Exodus card sheet, some of the cool FFG ANR tokens, or a set of custom FFG card dividers that have all of the current identities on them. I chose the uncut card sheet, and carefully took it home without getting it wet (it was snowing). Plan is to frame it and hang it, since we’re currently in the middle of a basement remodel in our condo, and there’s going to be an empty wall space of suitable size.

I learned quite a bit from this tournament. The Noise deck finally felt like it had almost enough economy, and that made it run much more smoothly. I’d love to work in Scheherazade, but that’s a pretty tall order. Sahasrara would be awesome, but there’s no spare influence. It also wants the third Plascrete or some other means of evading Weyland doom, though, and space is tight. Ultimately, I think that until Reina and Deep Red are out, I’m only going to tinker around the edges here. 6-2 in tournament play to this point makes me think it ain’t broke.

The Jinteki deck proved it can work with no ice and no Hedge Fund, although it’s a lot harder to tax the runner without ice. 3x Ice Wall is a possible inclusion to enhance taxation and allow more Trick of Light shenanigans, but before I make any changes I’m going to play it for a while longer as-is to see how much better it gets with the lessons I learned: put Hokusai on R&D, and be more careful about which agenda goes where – with only Celebrity Gift for operation credits, scoring one of Gila Hands or Profiteering is very helpful. Hanging on to one of those in HQ would be prudent. During the tourney I treated the 3/1s pretty much interchangeably as far as which ones I put where, but they should definitely be handled with more care. That said, I only saw one Profiteering in the three games, and it was stolen immediately, so I expect to be able to get the agenda economy working for me more easily in future games.

Decklists:
Noise: http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/770/trash-all-the-ice-v1-...
Jinteki: http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/771/iceless-shell-game-v1...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Berton
Canada
flag msg tools
Nice report, although it seems you were playing a Jinteki PE deck, not an RP deck. May want to edit that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see a pic of the uncut sheet if you get a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ajar
msg tools
Gah. I make that mistake with the Jinteki IDs all the time. Thanks!

I'll try to get a pic of the sheet this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Prahl
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was taking a look at the deck list, and you said that the perfect opening is install, install, shipment, with no ice how do you not get blown out by a first turn account siphon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Leuze
United States
Hutchinson
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey Ajar, I'm J #1. Those were some good games, I don't think I've ever purged virus counters that many times in one game, Efficiency Committee was really earning its keep!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curious about the prize loot at FFG HQ.

what sort of ANR tokens? click trackers from regionals or something different?

and were the card dividers the same as the first game night kit ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jardy koning
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Unless I'm looking at this wrong, that noise deck is running 17 influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ajar
msg tools
The Noise deck runs 3x Self-Modifying Code (9 influence) and 3x Clone Chip (6 influence) for 15 total.

Hey, Josh! Great games, both on Monday and when we played at Second Chance. Efficiency Committee is indeed awesome for enabling huge virus purges.

Steve, a first-turn Account Siphon would absolutely ruin my day if I opened install, install, Shipment. It's my preferred opening overall, but if I expect to get Siphoned, I wouldn't do it. Against a conventional Andromeda I'd like to be able to play at least one of Hokusai (to rez it as a credit outlet) or Celebrity Gift (to have so many credits that losing 5 is no big deal) on the first turn. Otherwise a Siphon would hurt quite a bit. Siphon is another reason why Ice Walls are a strong contender for the last 3 influence.

James, it looks like both the tokens and the identity cards were from Regionals. I'd never seen either before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jardy koning
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Ajar Keen wrote:
The Noise deck runs 3x Self-Modifying Code (9 influence) and 3x Clone Chip (6 influence) for 15 total.

Hey, Josh! Great games, both on Monday and when we played at Second Chance. Efficiency Committee is indeed awesome for enabling huge virus purges.

Steve, a first-turn Account Siphon would absolutely ruin my day if I opened install, install, Shipment. It's my preferred opening overall, but if I expect to get Siphoned, I wouldn't do it. Against a conventional Andromeda I'd like to be able to play at least one of Hokusai (to rez it as a credit outlet) or Celebrity Gift (to have so many credits that losing 5 is no big deal) on the first turn. Otherwise a Siphon would hurt quite a bit. Siphon is another reason why Ice Walls are a strong contender for the last 3 influence.

James, it looks like both the tokens and the identity cards were from Regionals. I'd never seen either before.

Yup My bad I'm a bit dyslexic and read Deja Vu as Deus ex. sorry for the misinterpretation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ajar
msg tools
Maghd wrote:
I'd like to see a pic of the uncut sheet if you get a chance.

This is a terrible photo, but our place is pretty much torn apart right now so it's tough to find flat space that isn't covered with drywall dust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Moore
United States
flag msg tools
Emergency Shutdown, a picture of The Visible Canine on your wall for all eternity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.