Popular Tags: should_be_a_GeekList [+] [View All]
John Cabral
United States
Bristol
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this is the right place to post this...

A little over a year ago I moved and decided to sell my games. I was in contact with a BGGer and ended up not pulling the trigger due to some circumstances and the unwillingness to part with my games. I now haven't played my games in well over a year and it's time for me to get rid of them. I thought it would be a cool idea to do a giveaway once a month, or even every two weeks. I will choose a new game when a previous one has been sent out. The games will range from smaller card games like Onirim and Fairy Tale to bigger games like Agricola, Power Grid and Washington's War. I want it to be fun and maybe generate some excitement. I also need to think of a way to choose who wins that particular month, or week. I'll most likely make it so only people in the US and possibly Canada are eligible. I will also be paying the shipping because I'd like someone to get a free game... for FREE. Because I'll be paying the shipping I will decide the shipping. Unless I state otherwise, all games are in great condition. I take really great care of them. Let me know what you all think. I will be posting soon on this thread or another one to let everyone know how I'll be doing this. Maybe even tomorrow. I want to get the ball rolling on this. Especially for the holidays Again, let me know what you think.

Thanks for your time,
John

PS. I'm not sure if I did it correctly, but I did try to erase all the games in my collection so there can be some excitement and surprise as to what is available. I do have some pretty awesome games. Some expensive, some hard to find and I believe at least one OOP. Talk to you soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Gordon
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is an awesome idea. Maybe it's just because I just started playing and collecting games.... But still a great idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very generous of you and timely as you point out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's mighty generous of you. Especially during the holiday season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did someone say free games to a loving home?
Yes please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Herren
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's very generous of you.

How about giving a free game to the person who submits the most creative idea for giving away the next free game?

Thanks,
Damon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Rider
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

This is mighty generous of you indeed!

Double check with the mods to see how they best recommend doing this but if you wish to start planning the first step is choosing which way would give you the most fun of the two ways there is to do something like this. Random chance...or...having people perform a task. Both ways have pros and cons and are equally fun just got to figure out which is best for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel
United States
ANDOVER
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Serious
mbmbmbmb
Very generous.

This is another testament of the kindness of the BGG community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very generous and kind of you. You can also look at how
Secret Santa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ran his giveaway last year if you want to do it like him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I agree with everyone here that this is a very generous gesture... and as a Canadian, I hope that we can be included in this as well. I for one would have no problems helping out/paying for the shipping either.

It's too bad that you just aren't able to get the games to the table as much any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Coffin
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland and Labrador
flag msg tools
I like trains.
badge
Nikola Tesla, Rockstar Scientist
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad that you no longer play, but kudos to you for your generosity!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Brulet
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I will echo everyone else when I say you are extremely generous to do something like this for the community.

Shipping is something you may want to consider asking for though. Even the cheapest shipping option could add up and you don't want get a bad taste in your mouth or resent starting down this venture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio
United States
Sparks
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
~Best for Business~
mbmbmbmbmb
As they say, it's better to give then it is to receive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sell
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good on you. I was talking to my kids today about the ripple/butterfly effect of kindness. Spread some joy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As said, very generous, so, come up with something you will really enjoy for the decision-making process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is an amazing and sad idea.

Amazing because its amazing.

Sad because you've lost your interest in games.

Enjoy your Santa-ness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Super generous of you, but I'm sorry you don't get to play them anymore. I hope you include Canadians, and I'd be willing to pay for some or all of the shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Very generous of you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jaques andre
United States
fullerton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most generous of you kind sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Demento
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Sorry to hear that you don't get to play these days. Kudos on the generosity and I hope it is worth the work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Lakeland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure you're already looking forward to the fun of sending surprises to random game lovers, but you could make a mystery geeklist with vague descriptions of the games, then have each person thumb whichever games they'd like to receive.

The clues could be as simple or clever as you wish. For example, list an item with the description: a farming game.

Hmm, could it be Agricola? Farmageddon? Finca?

Or post a random sentence from the rulebook as a clue.

Or a close-up shot of the box front showing only a small amount of recognizable detail.

You know, something that YOU might enjoy putting together in addition to the added joy of passing along free games to others.

Well anyway, that my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
You will regret this ...! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While I love free games as much as the next man... keep your games. Don't lose hope!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cabral
United States
Bristol
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the responses. I do want to clear some things up. It's not that I don't want to play the games, I just don't play ALL of them. Which means I play like 5% of them. haha. I'm trying to see if I can do this giveaway thing and stay in the community at the same time. I'm going to look into starting a blog/website to funnel these games. I can set it up so everyone who wants in can be on a mailing list and whenever a new game is available everyone can get a direct email. I'll even explain my story on the site. Sound weird? I did at one point start doing reviews on BGG, so maybe I can quickly review each game on the blog. I've never made a blog and I've sort of always wanted to. Just never thought I'd have enough to say. Well now I have stuff to give!. So combining all these things sounds like fun. Plus just having people get free games seems awesome! I've changed in the past year and I have a different approach to life. I need to start giving, rather than taking and this idea hit me like a ton of bricks last night when I was looking at some of my games. I should have enough games to sustain a pretty long period of time. Let's make this fun. What do you think?

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kambria McLean
United States
Bay City
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John,
I think it sounds like a really entertaining way for you to learn to give more...and like a (too-?) generous gift for all the recipients of your largesse. Kudos to you on whatever way your endeavor plays out, and I hope that you do stay with the hobby; this site has a lot of unbelievably generous and kindhearted people. It would be hard to find a better crowd!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.