Hide
10 Posts

Tokaido: Eriku» Forums » Rules

Subject: Eriku (Essen 2013 promo character) - Official Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry D
msg tools
Here are the rules for Eriku's special ability as per Antoine Bauza's blog (see www.antoinebauza.fr/?p=3239). With respect to M. Bauza I have made minor grammatical emendations to his words.

Rules:

At the beginning of the game, before playing his first move, Eriku can draw the first Meal card and buy it to add it to his collection. He scores 6 points like for other Meal cards. This action is not mandatory.

At the other Inns, Eriku can also look at the first card of the pile and choose to buy it instead of one of the regular Meal cards.

Backstory:

Eriku is a friendly wink to Eric Burgess (host of the podcast Boardgame Babylon). When I came to the Strategicon convention in Los Angeles, in 2012, I taught Eric Tokaido. The game pleased him, so he decided to explain the rules to other players during the event. I caught him at one of his explanations, committing a small rule mistake: he indicated that travelers took a meal at the beginning of the game, the relay station of departure. I then politely interrupted him, saying, "No, Eric, travelers do not eat before starting their journey, this first meal must be earned!" To which he replied, "Of course we eat before starting the trip, we are Americans ain’t we!" The character Eriku was born shortly after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat story - thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for correcting my english mistakes !
I'll hope you are OK if I paste them on my website

Antoine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry D
msg tools
Certainly! I am glad I can be of help and I apologise if I was presumptuous in changing your words.

Many thanks for such an excellent game!

- Jerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you draw the meal card at the beginning of the game, do you HAVE to buy it, or can you decide not to after seeing it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can draw and Can buy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruskicowboy wrote:
Awesome! Thanks!

Heh - love this post and the card, although that's surely a mis-quote. This English Major has never used the word 'ain't'...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Crawford
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I was just at a convention where my wife and I pulled this out of the library. A buddy got dealt this card, and we couldn't figure out what his ability was. As I looked at it, I said, "Are we supposed to eat at the first inn?"

My friend looked and said, "I don't think so, its not in the rules."

I really thought that you were supposed to, but didn't argue because it didn't seam worth it.

What a surprise to learn this card is based on my assumption

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Nowaczyk
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jerryjkd wrote:

At the other Inns, Eriku can also look at the first card of the pile and choose to buy it instead of one of the regular Meal cards.

Does it means first examine top card and decide to keep it or not without looking what cards have been dealt for regular meal? In other words, do you have the knowledge about other cards before deciding whether to keep first card or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.