Subject: Detained Condition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Kaufman
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
On the card it says "You cannot move or perform actions other than the action on this card."

My question is, suppose you attempt the local action ability and pass it, which thus allows you to discard the card, are you then allowed to do any other action for your second action? That is the way we played tonight, so just wanted to verify that was correct.

I know you can't do the same action twice, so if you failed the local action check, your turn is done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Moon
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
But my glass is dirty. Will you wipe it for me? Then you might take a peek into my mind ; )
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that why not - the moment you discarded detain condition, there is nothing preventing you from performing your other action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Venable
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
admin
Literally, "Game Voice." I am a voice actor for video games!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hobbes27 wrote:
On the card it says "You cannot move or perform actions other than the action on this card."

My question is, suppose you attempt the local action ability and pass it, which thus allows you to discard the card, are you then allowed to do any other action for your second action? That is the way we played tonight, so just wanted to verify that was correct.

I know you can't do the same action twice, so if you failed the local action check, your turn is done.

It's written that way for exactly that reason. When you pass that local action, the card goes away. Then you have one more action. If you fail the test, then your action phase is done since you can't repeat an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a different case come up in my first solo game:

Akachi Onyele got detained during the Encounter Phase. The Mythos for that turn was "Arrests Made in Murder Case!", which states that each investigator on a City space with a Weapon must test Influence. If he fails, he discards 1 Weapon and is Detained.

Akachi was in a City, had a weapon and failed the roll. But nothing in the rules specified if you can be detained twice. I disregarded the second Detained, since it made no sense thematically (you're already stuck in a dark place, caught by God knows who, so who's gonna find and catch you?).

How would you rule it, or did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't have two of the same condition card. So I believe you played it correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duke of Earl may be asking whether or not she loses her weapon, even though she will not be doubly-detained. That is not clear to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The actual acquiring of the duplicate Condition doesn't happen until the test is failed and the weapon is lost, so I would say that everything bad applies, you just don't get Detained twice.

Whether that's thematic or not, I guess that's a little dubious. One could argue the cops scared off the creature and then detained you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for your answer. I did rule that the Weapon is lost.

Turns out I missed the entry in the glossary, under "Condition", stating clearly that you cannot gain any Condition twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, note that the card says lose a weapon and become detained. These are two separate results. First effect: lose a weapon. Second effect: become detained. Each is resolved separately.

As already mentioned, the rules state you cannot gain a second condition card. Can't remember, but I think some conditions have a flip the card effect when you gain a second one (off the top of my head I know bless does - but I can't recall if any other condition cards do also).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.