Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up this game and will be playing it with my wife this evening. Any tips for introducing the game? She's played games like Last Night on Earth, Legendary, and Nexus Ops. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Christie
United Kingdom
Greenhithe
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not quite sure. I have the same problem. Because of my enthusiasm for the game, my wife has said that she would like to play it with me at some point.

I'm going to start with explaining that we would need to play at least two games back to back swapping roles. I'd give a quick overview of the game and then coach her through advising on "optimal" moves and strategy, even explaining why I have moved the way I have.

I'm also interested to hear what suggestions others have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it depends on your wife. I play with my wife and she prefers being the demons. The reason is SHE HATES LOSING. The good guys start with things and then progressively get worse. So at the beginning of the game you are the best you are going to be. Te game gets more difficult and has less options the more you play as the good guys.

Playing as the demons you essentially have a limitless army that just keeps coming. You may have a couple big guys, but generally you just keep making more dudes.

Figure what side would Appel to her the most and then play the other team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there's a catch-it-all advice for introducing the game. You don't really need to play both sides to enjoy a scenario (nor coach her, hah!) but giving the Demons to her to start is good. Might as well limit her options on the board to a few of them if she is not a fast learner, like only get extra threat tokens, draw cards, extra die and the 7 ability (ignore humans presence for spawning).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife had played this game with me a few times and I told her she should play as the demons. She loved it.

However, after finally switching roles and her playing as the humans for the first time - despite the tie she achieved - my wife will only play this game with me now as the demon player. She absolutely HATED playing as the humans. That's fine with me though, I like the challenge. cool

Moral of the story, make sure she plays as the demons first or she might not give the game another chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Reynolds
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm doing the same thing this Saturday, but neither of us have played it. We also have very little experience playing complex games.

Perhaps this is not the right one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its a quick play with some luck and thought out strategy. I'd give it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules are very streamlined and simple - that should not pose a problem, it's really not a complex game. Even if the size of it is a little bit intimidating, Settlers of Catan probably have more things to remember.

Human player has more thinking to do and more tactical movement - you really need to be good at this, to win as humans. Daemon player plays mostly reactionary or just simply attack - hence, it's a safer pick for new player, especially in first scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.