United States
Joshua
Texas
flag msg tools
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to have two balanced squads with at least two ships that plays in about 30 minutes. I am new so I don't have a lot of experience with this game and don't know what point game I should use.

I would like to use a sampling of upgrade cards. Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
60 points I think is always fun to start out with. It's not too many ships to start out with, but also gives you a sense of how squads work.

Big fan of Falcon for new players. It flys itself and works well with Han. But if you're trying to give them a sense of multiple ships (because, lets face is, being a large ship and having a 360 arc is an odd duck), Luke + a rookie or two is fun to start out.

On the other side, a Firespray can be fun, but I also like Vader + a couple TIEs. Vader has both secondary weapons and actions, so gives a new player a sense of those, plus a sense of how the Imperials (and their many ships) work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two X-wings vs two TIE Interceptors is fun, too. The X-wings have more hit points and target lock, whereas the Interceptors have higher agility and are more maneuverable. You can do 2 generics with some upgrades at 45-50 points, then do two named pilots (or one named pilot and more upgrades) at 55-60 points.

---

Rebel Example #1 (48 points)
- Red Squadron Pilot + Proton Torpedoes (27)
- Rookie Pilot (21)

Imperial Example #1 (47 points)
- Sabre Squadron Pilot + Push the Limit + Stealth Device (27)
- Avenger Squadron Pilot (20)

---

Rebel example #2 (55 points)
- Luke Skywalker + R5 Astromech + Draw their Fire (30)
- Biggs Darklighter (25)

Imperial Example #2 (55 points)
- Soontir Fel + Push the Limit (30)
- Turr Phennir (25)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
The few times I've taught I just let them build squads they liked and I built mine to be even to theirs. Part of the game for me is the fun of flying my favorite ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you would be a little lenient with the rules, you can use only a Falcon for the rebels and use 3 TIEs for 50 points each. It's a pretty easy to use squad. I usually use something like that to teach others how to play (I give the newbie the Falcon) and it plays in about 30 minutes. There's less jostling since the Falcon can 360 everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Woehlke
msg tools
mb
Don't give them too much to think about. If Rebels, a named pilot and an unnamed pilot.

Luke + R2
Red Squadron + Proton Torps

and

Turr Phenir
Academy x 2

Having multiple named pilots with abilities can create a little confusion, especially among non-minis gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I like to start with a 25-point match and then a handful of 55-point games.

At 25, the Rebels get a Rookie Pilot with a Proton Torpedo, and the Empire gets two Academy Pilots.

At 55, your options are considerably more varied. Here are some setups you can mix and match:

REBELLION

Wedge Antilles + Push the Limit + R2 Astromech
Rookie Pilot

(With these upgrades, Wedge makes a good introduction to stress mechanics.)

Luke Skywalker + Draw Their Fire + R2-D2
Rookie Pilot

(Artoo's benefit and requirement can be a good way to start players thinking about their decision-making where maneuvers are concerned. This can be a hard list to beat if your offense is a bit weak, however.)

Garven Dreis
Dutch Vander + Ion Cannon Turret + R5 Astromech

(Lots of mutual synergy between these two, and a good introduction to the "feel" of the Rebel faction overall.)

Blue Squadron Pilot + Fire Control System + Heavy Laser Cannon
Gold Squadron Pilot + Ion Cannon Turret + R5 Astromech

(This works for me as a way to introduce some range-management concepts.)

EMPIRE

Howlrunner + Determination
Academy Pilot
Academy Pilot
Academy Pilot

(Great for working on your formation flying in a less-intimidating setting than a full 100-point game.)

Alpha Squadron Pilot
Alpha Squadron Pilot
Alpha Squadron Pilot

(Get to know the Boost action, and the tactical nuances of running a glass-cannon style list.)

Omicron Group Pilot + Ion Cannon + Advanced Sensors + Engine Upgrade
Academy Pilot
Academy Pilot

(The OMG lets the Imperials play the ion game a bit, and the Academy Pilots provide support and/or set up shots for the shuttle.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treebeard
United States
Joshua
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have stated that I have two of all the small ships except the TIE fighter which I have four of. All my TIE Fighters and X-wings came from two starter sets. I also have one of each large ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
X-Wing, Y-Wing vs Tie advanced and two tie fighters. Maybe put Luke and Darth Vader in there (because people love them). Do not put R2-D2 in there.

Luke - expert handling
Gold squadron Y-wing with ion cannon

Darth Vader
2 academy pilots

OR

Luke
Gold squadron Y-wing with ion cannon and proton torpedo

Darth Vader - swarm tactics
2 academy pilots
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
i learned/taught the game with some of the 100pt squads FFG posted on their site

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3483

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek P
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I teach over three games. The first, I let them choose a ship with a rookie pilot, I choose another ship with a rookie, and we play ignoring abilities, upgrades, and obstacles.

Second game, we build squads but ignore upgrades and obstacles. This allows them to ease into squad building and adds a layer to the game with pilot abilities.

The third game we add in upgrades and obstacles for the full experience.

As far as squads go, I let them pick whatever ship they like. I think it is more fun to pilot what you want than be forced into a ship. As we play, I will give suggestions on why they might choose one upgrade or ship over another, but it's their choice, which incidentally is why I hardly ever play rebels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
R2-D2 is not that strong if more ships are in play. However if you try small fleets (i.e. two ties against an x-wing from starter set), it will break the game balance, because the ties are not able to take away the shield quickly enough - the shield always regenerates.

I saw couple of replays with R2-D2 from starting players and the result was usually unharmed x-wing and dead ties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.