Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Yeager
United States
Hagerstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
They can escape combat, but they seem like they're just a meat shield unit, so why would you want them to ever leave combat?

Unless I'm missing something, cruisers seem like a better purchase in any instance where you have the cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Unless I'm missing something, cruisers seem like a better purchase in any instance where you have the cash.

They are, and were historically. At the time, Germany probably had the best sub warfare doctrine around, and still, the overall tonnage sunk was a pittance when compared to WWII.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Yeager
United States
Hagerstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm aware of the historical situation, and I DO appreciate the accuracy of making the German subs the most effective(And even those being not very) just wondering if there is any reason IN game to buy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually buy one for Austria-Hungary as they tend to have some spare cash and when their fleet with that extra sub get into the Med', the Allies #$^* their pants since Italy can't afford, it forces France or Britain to deal with themdevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subs fight @2, cost $6, right? A sub is better bang for the buck in naval combat than a $9 cruiser fighting @3.

E.g., 36 IPC of subs is 6 subs. On average they score two hits in a round of naval combat. 36 IPC of cruisers is 4 cruisers, which also on average will score two hits per round. Pit 4 cruisers against 6 subs and the subs will likely win.

But the cruisers are faster and can shore bombard, two huge advantages.

The strategic attack of subs is too weak to make them an attractive investment. Larry Harris's proposed advance rules strengthen this special ability, but probably not enough to make the subs an attractive buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Bob
United States
Beachwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Cruisers can shore bombardment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troi anni
msg tools
crimsynseraph wrote:
They can escape combat, but they seem like they're just a meat shield unit, so why would you want them to ever leave combat?

It all makes sense really. Ships combat value are relative to cost - it always costs 3 their combat value. The difference is the special ability. BB takes an extra hit. Cruisers go fast. Subs can ignore hostile sea zones. With that in mind, subs have been a terrible pain in the A. I've lost transports because I wasn't paying attention.

Also, they're not only useful for Germany. As the central powers I make it a point to control the med. It protects the Ottomans and AH from amphibious assaults and forces Italy to guard rome. Just makes it so much easier to take italy and defend turkey in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.