Jose Negron
United States
New Hyde Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the value not enough??
Is the goal too high for a card game?

The game looks great and it's the second time the KS fell far from the goal.
For me I think the goal is way too high and a turn off.

Anyone else have opinions that can help the designer? I would buy this game if the KS did well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan B
United States
West Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the goal is the real issue. It is probably spot on. Having just helped out with another kickstarter project, I learned just how devastating shipping costs can be. Some of the bigger companies on Kickstarter actually take a loss on their projects (or else have some really sick shipping deals) to keep the goal low using the funds from other successful projects to compensate. That being said, there probably are creative ways to save on shipping (The Agents printed and shipped from Israel which saved on costs and had a great turnaround time).

I think the main problem is that people aren't checking out the project when they browse kickstarter. I think a lot has to do with the name and head/tagline of the game. I know I overlooked it many times before finally checking it out (and realizing just how awesome it is) based entirely off the Title and Tagline.

Tug O' Lords sounded to me like a board game port of Tug-o-war which I doubt is appealing to many as it seems simplistic and childish. Sure there was a picture of a Knight and a Skeleton to go with it, but that just made me think of Fantasy Tug-o-war, which is still a snoozer to me.

Add in the tagline: A Fantasy Card Game About Momentum and all I can think is that is an educational game that is supposed to teach me physics.

The description of the game is a little better: Tug O’ Lords is a fast-paced fantasy card game based on the tug-of-war game mechanic, where momentum is the key to victory! Still not really catchy to me. Granted, I am not particularly knowledgeable about MOBA games and their vernacular so maybe tug-of-war mechanic and momentum are steeped with meaning that is lost me who takes them at face value, but if that is the case, then I am assuming that I am not alone in that ignorance. If those words don't hold special meaning, then they don't really draw people in.

These comments, of course, are merely anecdotal as they relate to my experience; however, if it happened to me, it could have easily happened to others. I really like this project. The print and play is a lot of fun, the buy in is low, and the art is great. The possibilities for this game are far reaching and many of the stretch goals are really cool looking. I in no way mean to be insulting to the game designers. When I comment on the name and tagline, I do so from a marketing perspective. I really want this game to succeed. Hopefully this thread will be useful in seeing this game become a reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dixon
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
boricua1111 wrote:
Is the value not enough??
Is the goal too high for a card game?

The game looks great and it's the second time the KS fell far from the goal.
For me I think the goal is way too high and a turn off.

Anyone else have opinions that can help the designer? I would buy this game if the KS did well

We consider this the "first run" on Kickstarter since the true "first run" was restarted because of extenuating financial circumstances that benefited backers (we didn't feel right hiding this information from backers).

That being said, what Bryan said is absolutely correct. Shipping costs are the primary sinkhole for cost of a tabletop game, and we are indeed taking a loss at the $18k goal.

Also on what Bryan said, Game Salute is notorious for the $4k goal on games that undoubtedly cost more than $20k to manufacture. In a way, this completely handicaps do-it-yourself publishers (like us) because it gives backers an unrealistic perception of the costs to make a game.

Our costs are also slightly higher than other card games because of the artwork. Games like Something Different, Two Rooms and a Boom, etc. have very minimal art cost. In comparison, our artwork runs nearly $4k (not including stretch goals which add more artwork), but we feel that the quality, variety, and character it adds to the game are invaluable. We were able to do the graphic design (not character artwork) in-house which actually "saves cost" though.

Note that I put "saves cost" in quotes because all that means is we didn't have to hire somebody to do this for us. I did all of the design work myself, without pay. My work (and Jascha's) are NOT factored into cost, a fact that some Kickstarter projects hide from backers to fudge their cost projections. The "other" category in our cost breakdown is for things like barcodes, VAT, registration, etc.

I'm providing this information simply to explain the cost number. At any rate, I sincerely hope that you decide to follow the project on Kickstarter whether or not it funds, because we will finish the current Kickstarter and see where the game stands. If needed, we'll improve on it, refine the project, continue working on it, and come back with a vengeance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.