david
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have question on the strength for attacking artillery in a non-ridge position. Here is the situation. Two adjacent Confederate positions are attacking a single Union position. There is also a Union block adjacent to the position being attacked. Both Union positions are on a ridge; the Confederate positions are not.

Both sides place artillery tokens. Two Confederate tokens are placed in the same position (a 2 str. + a 1 str. = 3 total) and they want to target one of the Union artillery tokens. The particular bombardment target is not in the Confederate position's field of fire. Rule 13.3 provides that a bombardment target must be in the attacking artillery’s field of fire or the attacking artillery must be in the target’s field of fire. In this case, only the second condition is met: the Confederate artillery tokens are in the Union position's extended field of fire (due to the ridge position).

What strength do the attacking Confederate artillery tokens have against the defending Union artillery token? Are the attacking artillery tokens at half strength because the bombardment target is in the attacking artillery token's extended non-ridge field of fire? Neither 13.3 nor 13.5 say anything about reducing the strength of the attacking artillery tokens the way 13.6 does.

The situation struck my opponent and I as odd since it looks like the attacker is getting a benefit over a defender in the somewhat reverse situation (where a defending artillery token bombards an attacking block that is crossing an area that is only in the defending artillery's non-ridge extended field of fire -- the defender is halved).

Anyone encounter a similar situation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The attacking artillery attacks at strength 3. They are not halved. This is not asymmetric as the defending Union artillery in the adjacent, non-attacked position can defend at full strength. They are on a ridge, so they are not halved. Rule 13.6, number 3 says defending artillery strength is halved if their position is not a ridge position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for responding Rich.

My comment on the somewhat reverse situation was just that it is odd that the Confederate guns firing from the non-ridge position are full strength if supporting an attack up the ridge, but that they would be at half-strength when the attack comes down from the ridge. I realize the tokens represent something more than 'just guns' and it may be the reason is somewhere in there. Or, it just makes for better game play this way.

Anyway, it's a great game and my opponent is managing a stout defense....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Polk
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My attempt at rationalization:
In a CSA attack, the CSA guns are firing at fixed positions (Union guns and (hopefully) infantry) for an extended period. The fact that some Union positions are a few hundred yards farther up the ridge makes little difference.

In a CSA defense, the CSA guns are firing at the Union troops coming over in attack. The guns in the position under attack get a good view of the incoming thin blue line, but the nearby non-ridge guns are partially obscured by the low rolling terrain, so they fire at half effectedness.

Game Note: if any of the attacking Union blocks moved through the adjacent CSA position's FoF (I.e. their front area), then the CSA guns get to fire at full effectedness.

New question: since the first triangle on page 9 describes this special extended front coverage as Field of Fire, then am I correct in understanding that the nearby defending artillery cannot fire into an extended front area across a position with a ridge or obstacle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honor wrote:
New question: since the first triangle on page 9 describes this special extended front coverage as Field of Fire, then am I correct in understanding that the nearby defending artillery cannot fire into an extended front area across a position with a ridge or obstacle?

Yes. Any obstacle to field of fire on the adjacent position between their actual field of fire and the extended front area would prevent them from firing. Basically, you determine the field of fire they would have if a ridge were added to their front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.