Subject: A Year With 5 Second Rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife got 5 Second Rule as a Christmas gift two years ago. As with most of my party games, they usually only get played at large family gatherings anymore, and with so many to choose from, they don't get repeated that often. Which is why it took two years to finally get 5 plays out of this.

As far as party games this, this one is extremely fast-paced (as the name implies) and downtime is almost non-existent, which makes it great for large groups. Even when it's not your turn, you have to be paying attention to what others are saying.

The Premise:
You have 5 seconds to name three types of "something" as determined by the card. That's all there is to it!

The Components:
You get a box of 288 cards which are double-sided for a grand total of 576 categories to name. You also get a large (roughly a foot tall) timer that measures out 5 seconds. When you flip the timer, metal balls spin around inside the timer, and time is up when they hit the bottom. The middle of the timer is also hollowed out with a ball inside that causes a "zoop" sound when it is flipped. As the rules make you aware, this "zoop" sound does not keep time and is just an added bonus wow

The Gameplay:
The game is really simple. The reader reads a card to the next player, who is in the hot seat. It will always be "Name 3 ______", where the blank could be green vegetables, dog breeds, sitcoms, hair products, etc. As soon as the card is read, the timer is flipped, and the player in the hot seat has 5 seconds to name what was asked. If they do, they get the card which counts as a point. If they don't, the timer is flipped immediately, and the next player must then name 3. However, this player cannot use any answers previously given. If they succeed, they get the card, otherwise it keeps on moving on. If no one can name 3 and the card gets back to the original hot seat player, that player gets to keep it.

The game continues in this fashion until someone reaches a predetermined number of points and wins, or a predetermined number of rounds have been played in which the player with the most points wins.

Final Thoughts:
This game works well with large groups for several reasons. Turns are only 5 seconds each, so you won't be waiting long until you're next. But also, you have to actively listen to what each player is saying, because if they can't name 3, and it gets to you, you have to know what was previously said since you can't reuse those answers.

The categories are a mixed bag. Some are based on general knowledge and simple for most people, like picnic foods or shoe brands. Others require more specific knowledge like movie directors or Big Ten colleges. In either case, 5 seconds is not a lot of time to suddenly tune your brain into the answers you need, especially with the metal balls on the timer whirling around, and the bonus "zoop" sound. Of course, if you're not starting off a card, you have more time to think of answers, you just have to hope that the players ahead of you don't use them first.

Going by the BGG guidelines, I give this game a 6.5. I certainly prefer more strategy oriented games for my regular gaming, but for parties with large groups and family gatherings with with non-gamers of all types, this one is certainly a good one to go with.

Thanks for checking out my review. You can find more at A Year With My Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim fulner
United States
Berkley
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we played this at Ska's last night. It was fun, but I think we missed a rule. When is the game over? So often "party games" people just ignor this kind of thing and keep playing until its no longer fun for anyone. Last night I looked at my stack of cards and realized I was way ahead of anyone (being the only one in the gropu who watches sports, as well as having a Political Science degree I think helped) I asked the "when is this over?" question. The answer I got was "When Mary has two more real turns." but I doubt that's the real answer. I didn't see any links to rules on the game page, so I'm hoping you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fulner wrote:
So we played this at Ska's last night. It was fun, but I think we missed a rule. When is the game over? So often "party games" people just ignor this kind of thing and keep playing until its no longer fun for anyone. Last night I looked at my stack of cards and realized I was way ahead of anyone (being the only one in the gropu who watches sports, as well as having a Political Science degree I think helped) I asked the "when is this over?" question. The answer I got was "When Mary has two more real turns." but I doubt that's the real answer. I didn't see any links to rules on the game page, so I'm hoping you know.

In the setup of the rules, it says to determine the number of rounds you would like to play (and then says for larger groups use 2-3 rounds, and 4-5 for smaller groups). Under Winning the Game, it says after the established number of rounds, most cards is the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim fulner
United States
Berkley
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THanks! I won with around 45 cards so we had at least 20 rounds, likely many many more than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.