HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What can be said about the Enterprise that hasn’t been said already? I mean that more in a meta-level discussion because there aren’t any other reviews on this expansion pack as of the time of this writing. Instantly recognizable as much for it’s iconic Captain James Tiberius Kirk as for it’s shape, the U.S.S. Enterprise is the ship that started it all. The ship that launched a thousand faces. Okay, let’s get the bad stuff out of the way so we can talk about how good this expansion actually is. The model is small. Like really small. Like the size of my thumb joint small. And the stock picture of it painted is a lie. Of the first wave, this was the worst and that was saying something. Blech. There are a number of options for replacement. Micro Machines made a TOS Enterprise back in the 90’s. Wizkids has a couple of Enterprise-Refit/Enterprise-A models between their Heroclix line and the wonderful Star Trek: Fleet Captains game. Personally, I wouldn’t chop the –A off of it’s stand from Fleet Captains but your mileage may vary. There is also a Hot Wheels or Matchbox (don’t recall) version of the 2009 J.J. Abrams Enterprise. I really want one of those… Whatever model you may pick, reattachment onto an Attack Wing base is as simple as a female end cable tie. I ended up getting a Micro Machines one. The plastic is softer so the nacelles don’t align perfectly but at least it isn’t dwarfed by the other figures in the game anymore.

The ship itself is actually pretty good for what it is. The ship costs 22/20 with a 3/1/4/3 stat line. When it first came out it seemed undergunned for what people had in mind that the Enterprise should be. Two further expansion waves down the line and things begin to be a little clearer. The Federation isn’t about coming in guns blazing. Their power lies in the strength of the crew. The Klingons are stronger, the Romulans are sneakier but each Federation ship is a veritable Swiss Army Knife (Andorian Army Knife?) of options. The Enterprise itself reinforces that idea by allowing a ship ability to be used even when there is an auxiliary power token on the ship. Those abilities include [EVADE], [TARGET LOCK], [SCAN], and [BATTLESTATIONS]. You never have to be without [BATTLESTATIONS]. You may as well put the ship on red alert and then break off the knob. The upgrade bar includes a whopping four crew and a weapon slot. The generic Constitution class drops a shield point and two (urp!) crew slots. I guess there is only one U.S.S. Enterprise.

The targeting arc is 180 degrees forward with no rear arc (wait…what?) and maneuverability features green 1 banks, white 2 banks and turns, and 3 white banks and red turns. The ship cannot come about but can do a red 2 reverse. As is usual, top speed is 4 with Green 1 and 2 aheads to clear pesky aux. tokens.

The Captains are exactly who you would expect, Kirk and Pike. Captain Kirk, he whose chest hair alone makes Orion Slave Girls swoon, at the expected CS9 gets not one, but two elite talents. Moreover those talents only cost 3 pts apiece (Federation only, some restrictions apply, void on Risa, Quonos, and where otherwise prohibited by law) and can be kept face down until used. The question you have to ask yourself is “Is that a Cheat Death card or a Corbomite Maneuver”? Well, do you feel lucky, punk? Do ya? Compared to the distilled masculinity that is Kirk, Captain Pike at CS6 is a pale shadow. However, he does give you a -1 Crew upgrade cost. Not a bad deal if you plan on packing your ship to the deckheads with folks. I’m sure you could find something to do with an extra 4 pts that you didn’t have to spend on crew for the Enterprise. Pike also gets a single elite talent.

There are more crew cards in this pack than Ferengi at a Flea market. The entire cast of TOS is here except for Chekov who jumped ship for the U.S.S. Reliant. One crew card is amazing, two are really good, and the other two are only so-so.

Top of the list is Mr. Spock, as is only right and proper. His ability turns your scan token to work like [BATTLESTATIONS]. Great Caesar’s Ghost. It’s a passive ability. [SCAN] already drops your opponent’s agility by one and now you hit 75% of the time per die. If you aren’t playing Spock (especially on a Fed vessel where you don’t have to pay the crossfaction premium) then you are leaving hits on the table. Throw Spock together with Picard and it is a mighty duo indeed.

Sulu: As an action you can add two to your agility for the round and auto convert a single [BATTLESTATIONS] defense result into an evade.

Scotty: The engineer gives you the option to get more power for guns or shields, sacrificing the other. You can disable 2 Shields for +2 Attack or Repair a shield to reduce your attack dice by 2. I’ll leave it up to you which is better but there are not many shield repair skills in the mix here. Getting one back is nothing to sneeze at.

The only reason Sulu & Scotty rate as only really good instead of amazing is that they cost an action to use. Combined with Picard, Sulu or Scotty rank up to Amazing. You can have your Spock [SCAN] and something else too!

Uhura and McCoy are both discard abilities. The former lets you change your maneuver, the latter lets you discard the Doc to let another crew do their action as a free action. Personally I don’t like discard abilities. Anything that is a discard ability had better be at the center of my build idea or I’m not going to put it on the ship. I think they are wasted points and so these two go to the bottom of my pile.

In order to make Kirk’s ability shine, there have to be plenty of elite talents to pick from. Combined with the base set, the three available in this expansion give you four to work with: Engage (base), Cheat Death, Cochrane Deceleration Maneuver, and Corbomite Maneuver. The best of these is Cheat Death that allows you to come back after you’ve been destroyed with a single hit point remaining. It isn’t much but it just might be enough with Kirk shooting first to take the words of Captain Malcolm Reynolds to heart. “If someone tries to kill you, you kill them right back.” Cochrane Decel is an action that lets you come about in a Tokyo Drift like slide if you did a 1 ahead maneuver for the cost of an auxillary power token. Corbomite as an action prevents everyone from attacking you or your from attacking anyone else. Corbomite is a discard ability and would be better if you could do something else with the time you bought, like use Scotty to fix a shield perhaps. Alas, no. Finally, Engage from the base set lets you do a second green maneuver if you already did one. This costs an action and an auxillary power token. I mention Engage because if all you have is the base set and the Enterprise expansion, those are the tools Kirk has to work with.
The final card in this expansion is the TOS era torpedoes firing 4 dice at range 2-3 at a cost of 3 squadron points. The TNG torpedoes are 5 dice at range 2-3 for 5 pts. Not bad and something that should be remembered if you are looking for torpedoes but don’t have the 5 points for the modern version.

There are two other Federation ships that are near in time period to the Enterprise. The Reliant is a 2/2/3/3 ship for 20 pts and the Excelsior is 3/1/5/4 for 26. The former is a light cruiser and the latter is the “new” heavy cruiser designed to replace the Constitution class. The ship the Constitution class would have faced, the D7 is a 3/1/3/2 showing that within the TOS, ST1-3 era, the Constitution is right up there in parity with ships of its faction and those opposing it. It isn’t until the K’Tinga comes on the scene at 4/1/4/3 that the venerable Connie should start feeling outgunned. Then the trade is guns for crew as both ships have 7 durability.

The question is, what to do with this Star Trek icon? I, personally, don’t have much use for the Constitution because it’s strength, crew, require too many actions to use. Any card that isn’t being used is a passenger and my build theory depends on focus, not options. Spock, Chekov, the Romulan Tactical Officer, Kerla, Lojur, Alexander, or Boheeka are all passive abilities and so don’t overtax the action economy. There are few options that give you the ability to do two actions with a single ship in a single turn. If I had 25 pts or so remaining, I could see putting Terrell on the Enterprise as a passive buffing ship. For me, the benefits of the expansion come in the crew, dispersed to one or more vessels than in the vessel itself. This view has only strengthened with the addition of the Excelsior that shoots the same and can hang in the fight longer for only 4 more points. The Enterprise expansion brings great crew and workhorse but not exceptional ship to the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mars
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was under the impression that the model itself was small so it would be more in-scale with the other ships of the line. The original Enterprise was about half the length of the Enterprise-D. I like to use the Micromachines for starship gaming, but scale was not considered at all when they were designed. All of the toys were the same size regardless of the ship class. You have a Defiant the same length as an Enterprise the same length as an Enterprise-D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That may well be and if the paint job on the ship had matched the picture, I might be more forgiving on the Miniprise. As it is I don't care as much about scale as I do about having attractive models on the table so the small model is distasteful to me. Your mileage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Sisson wrote:
As it is I don't care as much about scale as I do about having attractive models on the table so the small model is distasteful to me. Your mileage may vary.

I only wish Fantasy Flight were as smart as you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Truth be told. the 1701 model is still too big to be in scale with the 1701-D. Picard's ship was a huge monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think the A-Wing is appropreatley scaled.

In truth I don't mind the tinyprise, because I like small miniatures (means more ships to fight with!) what I do mind is WK charging $15 for it. This is really a $8-$10 purchase based on the miniature.

Here's a gameplay question: Which one would you rather fill a Federation quantity build with, the Miranda, or the Constitution?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
I still think the A-Wing is appropreatley scaled.

Nope. Many pictures have shown that the A-wing is HUGE compared to its scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rose
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really sad when they opted for this size of figure. Probably one of the main reasons I have not got into this since I also play X-Wing. With sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many different models out (FASA, SFB , Zocchi & WizKid's own) why the hell they use size? (And no I do not buy the "scale" arguement as nothing else in game is really in scale)

I am sure I am just repeating the comments of others...but like other WizKid items they tend to really screw up on so many levels with anything they touch....that It usually fails to catch my attention anymore...and I had such high hopes for the game...tooo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.