Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philippe Sergerie
Canada
La Prairie
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my Kickstarter Ogre game roughly 2-3 weeks and was amazed by the sheer size of the box and amount of counters/component. Sure it's a nice game (well, a very simple wargame), but seriously, there's enough components to run 2-4 games at the same time!

I paid $152 US + $38 for custom fees. Now I noticed that German Games is selling it $79.95.... Holy massive profit Batman! Tell me there was an advantage to going the Kickstarter way, other than having my name on the box? Lesson learned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the standard kickstarter price was 100 bucks, so if you pledged 150 you got something extra (and the game before everyone else).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, i got the game for $69 online, after the kickstarter campaign was over. Did I get it cheaper?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen a couple sets of the KS exclusive sheets selling for $100 alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently watched Undead Viking's unboxing. The question I have is...if I buy the game from CSI will I get the same gamebox and components shown in his videos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Seymour
United States
Maynard
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game retails for 100 bucks.

for 150 (the pledge level) on the kickstarter, you got the giant bag, a tshirt, logo pins, and a bunch of kickstarter exclusive counter sheets and other things. basically, a whole host of extra stuff.

The 100 dollar price is MSRP. what you will usually find in a flgs for the base game. Anything less than that is usually online retailers who dont have the overhead of staffing/a storefront to contest with, and will usually sell for 20-30% off msrp as a result.

Extra money for overseas shipments will of course skew/alter prices. and retailers in europe can probably get it cheaper since a distributer will bring in the games with loads of other stuff, knocking the cost down a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrBrewhaha wrote:
I recently watched Undead Viking's unboxing. The question I have is...if I buy the game from CSI will I get the same gamebox and components shown in his videos?

There are 6 sheets that you will not receive in the retail version. I don't recall exactly what all of them are, but two have terrain overlays and one has the Vulcan.

-Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can go here to see roughly what they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are unhappy with your purchase, I think you will easily make back what you spent by selling online
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the list of sheets in the Retail and KS editions: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1073234/checklist

2 extra sheets of overlays, 2 sheets of new Ogres (including the only Vulcans available), and 2 sheets of extra Targets.

At the $150 level, a pair of pins, the KS exclusive big bag, the KS exclusive backer shirt, a copy of Pocket Ogre with new die cut counters, and extra set of Targets sheets plus the digital copies of the Ogre Miniatures book and Scenario book.

Up to you if you think the extra cost was worth it, but the bag alone became a bigger bonus than I would have guessed, and the Pocket Ogre helped too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Ing
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Canadian orders at the $152, it included the following:

CANADA! One copy of Ogre Sixth Edition, shipped FedEx to Canada, plus everything from the $25 level, AND your name on the box (on the side of the box bottom), AND a 4-color “thanks for your support” certificate signed by Steve Jackson. (Canada only.)

I ordered mine through my FLGS and got the Kickstarter edition plus the T-shirt, a copy of the mini Ogre game for $119. It included the Kickstart counter sheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You can run a lot more than four games at a time.

You got a lot of nice extras at $150. Look at the lists. Anything you don't want you can sell pretty easily, you might even be able to recoupl your $190 cost and still have most of the game.

You will almost certainly enjoy the game, though. Download The Ogre Book from e23.sjgames.com (free for you as a KS supporter), play the game, dive in, you will certainly get your money's worth of fun. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
I believe the standard kickstarter price was 100 bucks, so if you pledged 150 you got something extra (and the game before everyone else).

Standard price for Canada, $152. Something extra? Shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ross
Canada
Airdrie
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All Canadian and I think all other international orders included a Pocket Ogre as a thank you for putting up with the nigh-ridiculous shipping costs.

Mind I say ridiculous not inflated (actually I think international orders were highly subsidized).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a game cheap don't KickStarter it. A very simple rule.

If you do want to:
Support the concept of the game being made
Really, really, really want the game
Want (some of) the extras being offered via KickStarter

then support the KickStarter.

Sure, I could have got Ogre cheaper by ordering it. However, I still have my original microgame version. I wanted to support this project quite aware that I may be a paying a premium. I was happy with the choice before supporting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I kickstarted this and am happy I did, even though I paid more than I strictly needed to. OTOH, I did not kickstart Sentinels of the Multiverse, got everything a year or so later for much less, and was quite happy with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Sergerie
Canada
La Prairie
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, for Canadians, that 150$ didn't include all that stuff... I basically got the box and the $2.75 reproduction of the 1977 version...

Pledge $152 or more
You selected

187 backers

CANADA! One copy of Ogre Sixth Edition, shipped FedEx to Canada, plus everything from the $25 level, AND your name on the box (on the side of the box bottom), AND a 4-color “thanks for your support” certificate signed by Steve Jackson. (Canada only.)

And the $25 level is essentially .PDF files. And the 79$ is from a Canadian online store. Don't tell me the extra counter sheets are worth more than $70.

Don't get me wrong... that box is huge and contains a lot of stuff. I'm simply flabberghasted (is that the correct word?) about the price difference..

twitchsey wrote:
The game retails for 100 bucks.

for 150 (the pledge level) on the kickstarter, you got the giant bag, a tshirt, logo pins, and a bunch of kickstarter exclusive counter sheets and other things. basically, a whole host of extra stuff.

The 100 dollar price is MSRP. what you will usually find in a flgs for the base game. Anything less than that is usually online retailers who dont have the overhead of staffing/a storefront to contest with, and will usually sell for 20-30% off msrp as a result.

Extra money for overseas shipments will of course skew/alter prices. and retailers in europe can probably get it cheaper since a distributer will bring in the games with loads of other stuff, knocking the cost down a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
Sure, I could have got Ogre cheaper by ordering it. However, I still have my original microgame version. I wanted to support this project quite aware that I may be a paying a premium. I was happy with the choice before supporting.

I went all in with extra counters, classic counters, and extra KS sheets. It was a great deal for backers, even at full price.

For those who do order it at a discount online, the KS counter sheets (if you can buy them off a backer) were selling at $24 for all three sets on the SJG site. Two of the three are now out of stock.

There's a ton of content in that box without the exclusives, but the completists will likely end up paying a lot more than backers at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgetting completionist based reasoning, how much game does the three ks exclusive sheets actually add for 2 player games when only one game max would be played at a time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DanKD wrote:
Forgetting completionist based reasoning, how much game does the three ks exclusive sheets actually add for 2 player games when only one game max would be played at a time?

Nothing....and everything.

There is absolutely nothing in the Kickstarter sheets that is required to play any of the scenarios listed in the game. Nada. So from that perspective, there is nothing to miss.

But there ARE a number of things that can greatly expand the game into new, interesting areas. Infantry a little stale? Try some Heavy Weapon Teams. Want a dynamic battlefield where one player needs to actually BUILD something, as opposed to just blow it all up? Try some Engineers or the Vulcan. Looking for greater mutability of your map? The Overlays have some interesting water, beach and swamp overlays, not to mention a huge city complex. Want to create a scenario with an Ogre hulk that needs rescuing? It's in there. Or perhaps a raid on the nuclear reactors behind enemy lines? There are 3-D Reactors that you can build. Perhaps you convince another friend to join in? Now they have 3-D Ogres to go with the various green units in the game, giving you three complete factions.

The key here is to understand that Ogre Designer's Edition is more than just a great game; it is a tool kit allowing you to expand the game into vistas you haven't even considered. Indeed, not only are the Kickstarter sheets emblematic of this idea, much of the additional sheets in the base game, not to mention virtually ALL of the sponsored sheets, were designed for this very concept.

So no...you most certainly DON'T need any of the additional sheets; it's an absolutely amazing game without them. But with the extras?

Oh.....MY!

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philster74 wrote:
I'm simply flabberghasted (is that the correct word?) about the price difference..

We have no control over what our games are sold for. We sell to distributors, distributors sell to retailers, and then retailers place any price they wish to on the game.

Could we have priced the game lower for Kickstarter backers? Yes, but that's not something we want to do. Undercutting the local hobby stores might be good for business today, but killing off those hobby stores would be disastrous for business in the future.

The hobby game stores out there are vital to the industry. That's why we send out volunteers to run demos, and that's why we have staff calling hobby stores every day of the week asking: "How can we help?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has plenty of stuff compared to other games that cost the same. I dont think anyone, ks or not, can complain about the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I calculated the cost of buying my game and the extras I wanted through Kickstarter, and added on the likely cut HMRC would take. I then calculated the cost of buying my just the extras I wanted through Kickstarter, and added on the likely cut HMRC would take. I found the difference and this was how much I would pay as a maximum at my FLGS in order to save money.

I then talked to the owner of said FLGS and was guaranteed that the game would come in for less than that. They did not disappoint.

I now have all the cool KS extras, plus my game, and I know that I helped support both the project AND my FLGS.

Now all I need is the expansion and a copy of Pocket Ogre for completeness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilReed wrote:
Philster74 wrote:
I'm simply flabberghasted (is that the correct word?) about the price difference..

We have no control over what our games are sold for. We sell to distributors, distributors sell to retailers, and then retailers place any price they wish to on the game.

Could we have priced the game lower for Kickstarter backers? Yes, but that's not something we want to do. Undercutting the local hobby stores might be good for business today, but killing off those hobby stores would be disastrous for business in the future.

The hobby game stores out there are vital to the industry. That's why we send out volunteers to run demos, and that's why we have staff calling hobby stores every day of the week asking: "How can we help?"

Phil and the others at Steve Jackson games actually have done a great job. No good manufacturer, as Phil said, can undercut their distribution channel and survive without one (or their own and SJ Games isn't in that business).

Actually the Kickstarter backers actually got a $24 discount up front. The 3 (three) KS sheets were included originally and depending on your extras you may have gotten a free bag and Pocket Edition.

LGS will and can charge whatever they want and some will profit handsomely. Keep looking around, my FLGS is charging a reasonable price and most on-line stores are discounting so much that the extra freight is still cheaper than MSRP of the game alone.

As for the pricing... I Star Wars: X-Wing Interceptors selling for $40 each because there was a delay, NOT out of print, just a delay. I saw the Khan card from Star Trek: Attack Wing sell for over $100 (one single card) and a week later sold for $60 and a week after that for $40. Soooooooo, the question is how badly do you want it NOW?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.