Subject: LOS and opening doors/investigating rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that a commando can open a door and investigate to an adjacent square. But does he also need a LOS to that square?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the rules, I guess not, But thematically doesn't make much sense does it? If you can see the door, how are you to open it? We tend to play that you have to be adjacent to the door 'image' (i.e. on the door marker) to open it, since that makes more sense to us, which also eliminates the need for LOS, but that's just how we play.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I think it makes sense thematically to have line of sight to the door. I also found from the rules that you can change the facing before (or after) any action. So the even if you're not moving the miniature the commando turns around to face the door to open it and then with the next action can face the other way if the player so wishes.

Thanks for the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, I was trying to picture when this would ever happen since you can change facing almost all the time (the only time facing really matters is when it's not your turn, and things move outside your LOS you cannot interrupt).

However, I thought of this eventuality:

The Team Leader is adjacent to the Door, but can he open it? Not that he would want to until he killed that clone, but you never know. I guess figures don't block LOS though in this game so my original thinking is off, that situation prevents the Team Leader from moving NW. It just feels like if he cannot move NW, he shouldn't really be considered adjacent to the door to open it.

But, I think technically by RAW, the Team Leader could open the door...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What space is 'adjacent' to a door exactly? I always assumed that adjacent to a door meant the actual door graphic not the door TILE. So for example in the above picture the Commando can't open the door because he is not adjacent to it. Which is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 19 states, "When a commando is on or adjacent to a door, he can increase his adrenaline by one and attempt to open it." Since you cannot actually be 'on' a door, but you can be on a door marker, we've assumed that mean you could open a door if you were on either of the two spaces on the door marker, or any of the 4 spaces just adjacent to the door marker.

As for being adjacent, pg 12 states, "Any spaces that share a side or corner are considered adjacent." Sharing corners make them adjacent. The example on that page has a Clone north-east to a Heavy commando, and it says that it's adjacent. So for a door, we consider the four spaces next to a door marker's side (actually, 6 if it's in a more open space?) are all adjacent to the door.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael peterson
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the example above, per the rules, you can open the door from the highlighted area.

If the door were moved up a tile, per the rules, could you open the door from these highlighted areas? We played the door was the door tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think so. IMHO, the Team Leader is "on or adjacent to a door".

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael peterson
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That just seems really odd doesn't it? It's like he found a yardstick and taped a pen to it and pushed the open button.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it depends on where the 'button' is to open the door?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
Waaagh
mbmbmbmbmb
Some "others" can close HUGE doors by throwing a stone at the button whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to have doors open when a commando is adjacent to the actual door graphic because it seems more logical and intuitive that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. Strathmeyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
I plan to have doors open when a commando is adjacent to the actual door graphic because it seems more logical and intuitive that way.

We play that they can be on or adjacent to the door tile. First, because the rules specifically say "on or adjacent", and there's no way to be on the door illustration itself. Second, because the component descriptions call them "door markers", not "tiles that have a door on them."

I look at it as the commando cautiously pushing the button and then leaping back. It fits with the general theme of the rules, and means they don't need to do the Descent-style "you can take another action in the middle of a move and then continue your move" foolishness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strathmeyer wrote:
Bowmangr wrote:

We play that they can be on or adjacent to the door tile. First, because the rules specifically say "on or adjacent", and there's no way to be on the door illustration itself. Second, because the component descriptions call them "door markers", not "tiles that have a door on them."

I look at it as the commando cautiously pushing the button and then leaping back. It fits with the general theme of the rules, and means they don't need to do the Descent-style "you can take another action in the middle of a move and then continue your move" foolishness.

Ι know that doors open that way but I don't like it at all. It gives too much freedom of movement. With the way that we play it it has more tension and positioning matters.

We've reached mission 6 by now and we had no problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.