Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
OK Art Studio - www.okartstudio.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys! I'm finishing the design for my game called Oni Matsuri (coming soon...) and wan't to make a really cool aesthethic for it, so can you recommend me the games you liked most with Asian/Japanese theme, like Tokaido or Takenoko?

Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Oriental/Japanese themed games
Yedo

Chang Cheng

Shogun

Karesansui
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Yedo and Edo did the theme nicely, as did Shitenno and Shogun.

Please do not go the route of Tichu. It has a Chinese-ish theme, not Japanese, but I don't think it's done very well or tastefully. The cheesy "brush stroke font" on the cards and the illustrations bug me a lot.

Note that the four I listed as having done things well all used a realistic rather than anime-like art style. I'd avoid having an anime style setup unless you have a really good artist that is extremely well-versed in it.

Tokaido has lovely artwork at a glance, but since I haven't played it I can't say overall how well it was or wasn't done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okko is really nice. I haven't seen the aforementioned games in person, but was really impressed with the components in this game, it totally changed my opinion on standees. Okko is a French comic series based in feudal Japan IIRC. I thought the game used some interesting mechanics (e.g. easy to get the hang of it, but there's an underlying complexity). It's not too terribly priced either, I think I spent $20 all together for the base game (which is fine on it's own) and an expansion (the magic user one which just gives more variety and equally a bargain).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Havox wrote:

Thanks, i didin't knew Yedo but its a really apealling game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the Seiji Kanai aesthetic in games such as Mai-Star, Say Bye to the Villains, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagato Fujibayashi

Athens
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

....and I'm sorry but I disagree with almost everything proposed above. Especially the busy and multi-colored board of Yedo has nothing to do with Japanese aesthetics. Sekigahara, now, not only has a minimalistic design on the board and the beautiful, wooden mon-decorated pieces but also its mechanics are very simple yet create a very solid and interesting system. It Japanese to the bone! Look no further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
I like the art in Tokaido

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Yum
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Tokaido seems pretty cool. I like the color palette and the art. Samurai is okay - cool pieces and a great board. If you use Japanese characters, make sure to get them accurate.

===
Just a thought about the use of the word "Oriental." There are some who think that it's a pejorative word. I was never bothered by it in the past and never thought about it until a friend mentioned it to me.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/law-bans-use-of...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Samurai
+1 Sekighara

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willyum wrote:

Just a thought about the use of the word "Oriental." There are some who think that it's a pejorative word. I was never bothered by it in the past and never thought about it until a friend mentioned it to me.

It's very much a regional thing. I once caused offence in American company where I used 'oriental' and was taken to one side and quizzed on my use of racist language. Over there it's apparently the far east comparative to nigger or such.

As I explained - in the UK oriental is the self-identifier of choice for those same people, and the term is used in something of the order of a third of their own business titles. For reference my partner is from Hong Kong!

It's also worth noting that when an American says 'Asian' they generally Chinese/Japanese/Korean whereas in the UK it generally means Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi - in both cases labelling the far more common group (quite literally an order of magnitude higher here).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
willyum wrote:
Tokaido seems pretty cool. I like the color palette and the art. Samurai is okay - cool pieces and a great board. If you use Japanese characters, make sure to get them accurate.

===

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/law-bans-use-of...

Oh, so sorry, here in Argentina is a common used word with no negative meaning, just changed it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninjato looks absolutely stunning, in my opinion. I really like the nocturnal feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Yum
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Oooh, that board does look really cool. I like the perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Samurai
+1 Sekighara
+1 Ninjato

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot less thematic: Qin - but it has nice little pagodas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.