Subject: Unless Mercutio is present? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I got into a discussion about this.

My understanding is that Romeo and Juliet each score 2 points if Juliet chooses Romeo. However, if Mercutio is played and Juliet picks Romeo - R&J each get one point, M gets 2 points.

But because the card says "If Mercutio is present" it could be interpreted that no matter what happens, if Mercutio is played, R&J each score a point each.

What's the correct way to play? Technically Mercutio could be present despite Juliet's decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
BLAMMO!
mb
FallenFusion wrote:
My friends and I got into a discussion about this.

My understanding is that Romeo and Juliet each score 2 points if Juliet chooses Romeo. However, if Mercutio is played and Juliet picks Romeo - R&J each get one point, M gets 2 points.

But because the card says "If Mercutio is present" it could be interpreted that no matter what happens, if Mercutio is played, R&J each score a point each.

What's the correct way to play? Technically Mercutio could be present despite Juliet's decision.

The cards are a bit abbreviated for space, but Mercutio only scores if Juliet chooses Romeo. In a three player game, if Juliet chooses Mercutio, then no character scores.

Here is another outcome:

Juliet chooses Count Paris - Count Paris scores one point. If the third player selected Benvolio, then Benvolio would score one point because Romeo was not chosen. If the third player selected Mercutio, then only Count Paris would score. Juliet does not score because she did not choose Romeo.

Also, to clarify: The "If Romeo is not present" on Juliet's card is used when Juliet declares that Romeo has not be selected by the other players and is correct. If Juliet declares that Romeo is not present, but is incorrect, then she will not score, but other characters may score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
meskue wrote:
The cards are a bit abbreviated for space, but Mercutio only scores if Juliet chooses Romeo. In a three player game, if Juliet chooses Mercutio, then no character scores.

Here is another outcome:

Juliet chooses Count Paris - Count Paris scores one point. If the third player selected Benvolio, then Benvolio would score one point because Romeo was not chosen. If the third player selected Mercutio, then only Count Paris would score. Juliet does not score because she did not choose Romeo.

Also, to clarify: The "If Romeo is not present" on Juliet's card is used when Juliet declares that Romeo has not be selected by the other players and is correct. If Juliet declares that Romeo is not present, but is incorrect, then she will not score, but other characters may score.

Thanks for the explanation. I wish the printed rules made a distinction between the roles selected by the players and the player chosen by Juliet the way you have, rather than using the word chosen interchangeably. And mentioned that players could score zero points. I honestly couldn't figure out how to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've rephrased the scoring rules here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1099374/rephrased-scoring-ru...

Comments, suggestions, and corrections are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.