JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I always get new games for Christmas gifts but this year I am overwhelmed looking at the options. Help me, BGG, you're my only hope!

I need a game for:

1. College aged Daughter- she LOVES Betrayal at the House on the hill. I'm guessing that's her most played game at school. It'd be nice to get her another game like that. However, she also plays party games with her more non-gamer friends, Things... and Anomia have been hits for that. So, I'm undecided if I should get another party type game or another Betrayal-esque option.

2. High School/soon-to-be-College aged Son - He gets annoyed with Betrayal. He likes 7 Wonders, Dominion, Alhambra, Carcassonne but he also likes dice and Ameritrash stuff-- He especially loves games with variable powers.

3. Adult Nephew - He's a new gamer and loves everything I've played with him so far. He's newly married and his wife will play games, too, but he also has siblings, so he could play a four player game. He has Settlers, Ticket to Ride, Agricola(I don't think he's played that much), and Carcassonne. He is an architect if there's anything that would go with that theme, that'd be cool.

4. Big game for the Family - Any suggestions for a game that plays a LOT of people (at least 8 but more is better)? One that isn't totally a party game? My extended family loves Bang!, The Resistance, Saboteur -- those are all hidden roles games but that's not key, something different might be nice.

THANK YOU for any help!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bang! the dice game x4 that should cover all of your bases ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herbert Griffin
United States
California
flag msg tools
1. Buy her ping pong balls and Dixie cups. She will know what to do. Just kidding. Party games like Rollick, Say Anything or Cash n Guns may fit her fancy. Any of the games featured on Wil Wheaton's TableTop (YouTube it) will suffice.

2. For the son, I'd say Yedo, Race for the Galaxy or Legendary. If he likes building stuff and euros, maybe Terra Mystica?

3. He sounds like a Takenoko or Pandemic kind of guy. I have no justification to provide. It's what I feel in my bones. You can trust my bones or not, I will not have hurt feelings.

4. Coup is a new addition to the Resistance family. Try it out! Otherwise, Two Rooms and a Boom on Kickstarter may still have the free print n play for you to try out. Formula D works well with larger numbers. Or try Escape: Curse of the Temple with six people in real-time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Immediate springing to mind

2- King of Tokyo - Dice & variable powers

4- Mascarade - afaicr it plays up to 13 & is a hidden role game (often your role is hidden from yourself)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Lethbridge
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Cadets: Dice Duel, Formula D, and One Night Ultimate Werewolf all play 8 well. BANG! The Dice Game plays 8 in about 20 mins.

King of Tokyo is a fast, fun dicey game with variable powers.

Glass Road is a quick fun Euro that works well for four. It's easy to teach and learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
I always get new games for Christmas gifts but this year I am overwhelmed looking at the options. Help me, BGG, you're my only hope!

I'm pretty tired and was about to go to bed, but since nobody answered so far and it seems help is urgent, let's see...

Jatoha wrote:
1. College aged Daughter- she LOVES Betrayal at the House on the hill. I'm guessing that's her most played game at school. It'd be nice to get her another game like that. However, she also plays party games with her more non-gamer friends, Things... and Anomia have been hits for that. So, I'm undecided if I should get another party type game or another Betrayal-esque option.

Similar to Betrayal at House on the Hill and yet different, everybody will mention Mansions of Madness. And for very good reason(s) ! I first played it about three weeks ago and immediately loved it ! It takes some time getting into and surely requires one test round, but after that, it's very exciting. This game already works with 2 players (up to 5), just be aware that the roles are different than in Betrayal as one player always has to be the "bad guy" ("keeper") and storyteller right from the beginning (as opposed to Betrayal), which can indeed be a very different kind of fun. This game oozes with theme of H. P. Lovecraft and has quite a lot of optional expansions available.

Here's the official trailer of Fantasy Flight Games:

Jatoha wrote:
2. High School/soon-to-be-College aged Son - He gets annoyed with Betrayal. He likes 7 Wonders, Dominion, Alhambra, Carcassonne but he also likes dice and Ameritrash stuff-- He especially loves games with variable powers.

I also like Dominion and in combination with the special powers feature, I immediately think of Puzzle Strike.

Rodney Smith did an awesome review and introduction to the game:

If he likes the puzzle/tile laying aspect of Carcassonne and Alhambra and some adventure, he might also like Galaxy Trucker, which is a personal favorite of mine. It's quite chaotic but in a funny way, so that losing is as much fun as winning - at least to me, that is

Jatoha wrote:
3. Adult Nephew - He's a new gamer and loves everything I've played with him so far. He's newly married and his wife will play games, too, but he also has siblings, so he could play a four player game. He has Settlers, Ticket to Ride, Agricola(I don't think he's played that much), and Carcassonne. He is an architect if there's anything that would go with that theme, that'd be cool.

4 player games with architecture, maybe The Pillars of the Earth or Fresco.

I would also like to mention Takenoko (2-4 players) which is a very special favorite of mine as it is top-notch in quality and just has a very likable appeal to it. Just check out the cover And it even features architecture ! ...well, garden architecture

Jatoha wrote:
4. Big game for the Family - Any suggestions for a game that plays a LOT of people (at least 8 but more is better)? One that isn't totally a party game? My extended family loves Bang!, The Resistance, Saboteur -- those are all hidden roles games but that's not key, something different might be nice.

A very popular hidden role game which supports many people is for sure The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow or Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition.

I also would have recommended Dixit, but it is "only" for 3-6 players. Still, totally worth checking out !

Also 3-6 players is a little humorous cardgame called Munchkin. It makes fun of fantasy clichés and has a lot of optional genre-themed expansions. I personally don't like Munchkin, but it's popular with many people and if it strikes your kind of humor, you might be interested.

Jatoha wrote:
THANK YOU for any help!!

Well I hope I could provide at least a bit of help. I wish you best luck with your choices and a merry christmas to you and your family
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got it all figured out for you.

1. Letters from Whitechapel
2. Kemet
3. Belfort
4. Duel of Ages II
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Crosley
msg tools
Might try looking at privateer - plays up to six and pirate themed. I play a lot of the board games you mentioned and I'm stoked for the game. Never know check it out on kickstarter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:

Maybe these could help for this person?

Firenze
Blueprints

Both are 2-4 players. So it seems that he should be covered with either only his new wife playing or his siblings as well.

I can highly recommend Frienze, personally. It's fun, and you physically build towers which might pull in the other potential players.

I haven't played blueprints, but it also seems a good fit (game weight and subject).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Two Rooms and a Boom
2. Peloponnes
3. Peloponnes
4. Two Rooms and a Boom

Availability for Christmas delivery could be a challenge but those two games hit all the right notes and are breaths of fresh air in a world of me too games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Jess. Games are always appreciated Christmas morning!

1. These aren't my kinds of games, so I can't help you too much with Daughter #1.

2. Looks like he enjoys recent SdJ winners, so how about Kingdom Builder or Village?

3. He seems to like gateway games. Why not get him one of the expansions to Ticket to Ride? Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 4 – Nederland is the latest, but if that's not available, Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 – Team Asia & Legendary Asia is very good--you play competitively in 2-player teams. I've also heard good things about Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 3 – The Heart of Africa. To satisfy the architect side, you might want to check out The Palaces of Carrara, in which the players build palaces, but only in a very abstract way--still, it's a good game and not very complicated.

4. Bruno Faidutti's latest is Mascarade, which plays up to 13! It's a hidden role game in which the players frequently don't even know their own roles! Not really my kind of game, but it's popular and should go a long way to keeping your brain fried!

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DigitalMan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Tales of the Arabian Nights

2. Kemet

3. The Castles of Burgundy

4. Ugg-Tect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k b
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
1: Ugg-Tect

2: Imperial 2030

3: Trains

4: dunno - Maybe Ugg-Tech again

Good luck, happy holidays!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Cadets: Dice Duel for the fam/party game. This is NOT an optional buy.

Suburbia for the architect. (Or The Capitals)
Blueprints just came out also.

Alien Frontiers for your son. Or The Manhattan Project

You could try Eldritch Horror with your daughter. I would also think she might like Escape: The Curse of the Temple...which is somewhat similar to Space Cadets DD in terms of game mechanisms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
Jatoha wrote:

I need a game for:

1. College aged Daughter- she LOVES Betrayal at the House on the hill. I'm guessing that's her most played game at school. It'd be nice to get her another game like that. However, she also plays party games with her more non-gamer friends, Things... and Anomia have been hits for that.

Duple is another game in the same series as Anomia, different in a few key ways. But it didn't pay the bribes, so it's not part of the groupthink on this site.

Quote:

Speaking of groupthink, I +bignumber the above recommendation for Puzzle Strike on this one.

Quote:

There are a couple architecture themed games, but I can't really recommend any of them from my own personal experience.

I would consider either Dixit, a light game of art interpretation and social code parsing -- which has the drawback that it doesn't work well with less than 4 players...or Hanabi a co-op of working together against hidden information, which can play 2-5 players just fine.

Quote:

I was gonna say Shadow Hunters which is another hidden role game, that handles 8 standard and can handle more if you include the expansion characters, but it does strain at that point. So maybe you should go with a party game or a charades variant like 25 Words or Less or Cue Me!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
You didn't KS Ogre for them all? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3. The Pillars of the Earth/Die Säulen der Erde: das Kartenspiel and World Without End both deal with the building of a medieval cathedral (do you know ken follett´s novels?). they are good games, not too difficult I think, theme is pretty strong! Personally I liked the latter (world without end) better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at that tipping by Jatoha, thanks !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Larry. Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 – Team Asia & Legendary Asia is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4. games for many players tend to be party games, however there are exceptions: I can think of Diplomacy, o.k. it is only up to 7 players, but is is definitely not a party game! However, consequently it takes long and isn´t easy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Jones
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Try Love Letter, it's pretty good for non-gamers. Last Night on Earth is also a pretty good theme game.

2. Ameritrash variable powers maybe try MageKnight the board game.

3. For the architect try Arkadia.

4. A game I really like for a lot of people around 8 is Citadels. RoboRally plays up to 8 I think too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, I guess it's only fair that I tell you what I ended up buying, just don't go telling my family!

For the Betrayal Girl- I decided to get Last Night on Earth, I had been thinking of that one a while ago. She loves the Walking Dead so the theme seemed good.

For My Son- I got Legendary: Deck building Game. One of you up there suggested that and I had never seen it before. It looks great!

For My Nephew- GAH! I'm still deciding! So many possibilities! I think I'm going with either Takenoko or Pandemic.

For my husband and I- Yeah, I didn't ask for suggestions here because I knew what I wanted, I finally picked up Morels! I'm super excited about that one, he loves to go mushroom hunting and the game itself seems perfect for us.

For the Large Group- I grabbed Mascarade as suggested by one of you, that looks fantastic! And I download the free version of Two Rooms and A Boom as well.

Another game I came across for large groups was Perpetual Commotion, anybody play that?

THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME UN-FRY MY BRAIN AND MAKE A DECISION! Oh how I wish I could just BUY ALL THE GAMES!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Austin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about something like Torres for the architect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
1 One of the versions of Dixit
2 King of Tokyo
3 Takenoko
4 another version of Dixit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel
United States
ANDOVER
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Serious
mbmbmbmb
Faville wrote:
What about something like Torres for the architect?

Or what about Ground Floor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.