Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
The fourth hero (after Vanish, the Stranger, and Quicksilver) in my game group's custom expansion, and the first one designed by my roommate. He hasn't changed much since initial conception.

The Knight is a pretty simple, straightforward tank/damage dealer. A lot of his cards can be found in existing decks, but what keeps him unique is his ability to switch between damage and armor (or a mix) depending on what Single Hand equipment he has out, and the sheer quantity of damage-sponge targets he has. He's also got some nice team utility mixed in. I was skeptical of the hero for a while but he's a ton of fun to play, and one of our only customs that doesn't require tons of explaining.

Hero: The Knight
HP: 32
Base power: Swing
- The Knight deals 1 target 1 melee damage.

Incapacitated:
- One player may play a card now.
- Reduce damage dealt to 1 target by 1 until the start of your next turn.
- Increase damage dealt by 1 target by 1 until the start of your next turn.

Equipment, Single Hand (Qty: 6)
-----------------------------
Stalwart Shield (Qty: 3)
- When this card is put into play, destroy all but 2 Single Hand Equipment cards. Reduce damage taken by the Knight and your Equipment cards by 1.

Short Sword (Qty: 3)
- When this card is put into play, destroy all but 2 Single Hand Equipment cards. Increase damage dealt by the Knight by 1.
Power: the Knight deals 1 target 2 melee damage.

Equipment, Limited (Qty: 10)
Plate Mail (Qty: 4, HP: 5)
- When the Knight would be dealt damage, you may redirect that damage to this card.

Plate Helm (Qty: 4, HP: 3)
- When this card enters play, you may draw a card. When the Knight would be dealt damage, you may redirect that damage to this card.

Whetstone (Qty: 2)
- Increase melee damage dealt by the Knight by 1.

Ongoing, Limited (Qty: 6)
Maiden's Blessing (Qty: 2)
- Power: you may play an Equipment card. Draw a card.

Sure Footing (Qty: 2)
- Power: you may play a One-shot now. Draw a card.

Knight's Honor (Qty: 2)
- When this card enters play, place it next to a target. Whenever that target would take damage, redirect that damage to the Knight. Damage redirected this way is irreducible.
Power: destroy this card.

One-shot (Qty: 18)
Heavy Swing (Qty: 4)
- The Knight deals 1 target 3 melee damage.

Swift Strikes (Qty: 4)
- The Knight deals up to 2 targets 1 melee damage each.

Catch Your Breath (Qty: 2)
- Draw a card. The Knight regains 2 HP.

Arm Yourself (Qty: 2)
- Select up to 2 Equipment cards from your trash. Put one into play and one into your hand.

Battlefield Scavenger (Qty: 2)
- Each player may draw a card, or take an Equipment or Ongoing from their trash and put it on top of their deck.

Defender of the Realm (Qty: 2)
- Search your deck for a copy of “Plate Mail” or "Plate Helm” and put it into play. Shuffle your deck. Select a hero target. Until the start of your next turn, reduce damage dealt to that target by 1.

Champion of the Realm (Qty: 2)
- Search your deck for a Single Hand Equipment card and put it into play. Shuffle your deck. Select a hero target. Until the start of your next turn, increase damage dealt by that target by 1.

[ High-res individual images | printing instructions ]

Edit: added a power to the Short Sword. Made the nerf to Knight's Honor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Some notes on how he's intended to play:
- At any time he can have a helm and plate mail out to tank damage for him. These still count as equipment cards. With Knight's Honor he can tank for others as well. Since each piece of armor usually soaks up 2-3 hits before dying, he can negate a LOT of enemy damage, although usually the time spent replacing armor means you're not doing much else (unless Maiden's Blessing is out).
- His swords and shields are simple buffs, so he can get a sustained +2 damage or +2 armor, or +1 of each. His shields protect your helm/mail as well, which can give good resistance to attacks that damage all hero targets. Whetstone can be thrown in for an additional damage buff.
- Maiden's Blessing and Sure Footing are his desired powers; with them he can essentially play 2/draw 2 each turn, but they're not always easy to find in his deck. Since when tanking you're playing lots of armor, and when damage dealing your one-shots are the way to go, these powers outshine his base power by a lot.
- Swift Strikes and Heavy Swing are essentially his base damage. When buffed all the way to +3 (swords+whetstone) he lays down decent damage for a few turns. Then he usually goes defensive til his deck cycles.
- Defender/Champion let you get equipment out of your deck, but the temporary ally buffs are often more useful. Sometimes the Knight just wants to use Defender to pull a Plate Mail and give the Mail extra armor for a round.
- The Knight needs his equipment, so Arm Yourself and Scavenger get them back from the trash. Scavenger also makes for good team utility.
- Catch Your Breath keeps him in cards and HP.

Edit: some more notes:
- In our games I've been consistently surprised by just how effective the Knight is at tanking for the team, and the reason took a while to sink in (and wasn't necessarily intentional during his design): in a team of squishy heroes he's usually acting as both the lowest AND highest HP target. Knight's Honor can cover a third option. All of that damage can be shunted to his mail/helm, which bypasses a lot of negative effects that trigger off of/attach to the target that actually takes the damage.

Alternate character cards for the Knight wrote:
Hero: The Fair Knight
HP: 25
Base power: Resourceful
- The Knight and all her targets regain 2HP.

Incapacitated:
- One player may play a card now.
- One player may draw a card now.
- Until the start of your next turn, reduce damage dealt by environment cards to hero targets by 2.

Hero: The Berserker Knight
HP: 27
Base power: Rage
- Destroy an Equipment target. The Knight deals 1 target X psychic damage, where X is the HP of that Equipment before it was destroyed plus 1.

Incapacitated:
- One player may draw a card now.
- Increase all damage by 1 until the start of your next turn.
- One target deals itself 1 psychic damage.

Hero: The Knight 1929 (suggested by user Phantaskippy)

Wasteland Ronin Knight promo wrote:
Hero: The Young & Old Knights: Wasteland Ronin

Changes: Old Knight's passive changed from heal to draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are a machine! How long does it take you to create the art?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Probably just over an hour per image, on average.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hope that one of these days you'll put it all up on artscow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All in all, really nicely done (especially the art). I would personally like to see more weapon or armor types, like a lance, a two-handed sword, or greaves. But as a simple first time character, he works nicely.

Edit: Oh, also, a steed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Z
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
"Two types of people laugh at the law: those that break it and those that make it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Pure awesomeness!
Although I like more complex heroes, this one looks like a ton of fun, especially for casual players.

Thank you sir, a lot!

PDF perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xxxxx Xxxxx
msg tools
Printed him out and played a 2 hero vs the Chairman (twice). Didn't win, but what two heroes do... Still it let me play-test him and see what he does.

I like him, but his damage feels weak; I understand he is a tank, so damage isn't his primary, so its going to feel weak, but his damage mainly come from his base power, which can get to like 4 points (to 1 target) with all his self buffs in play. Its good, but not as good as other tank-like core heroes, like Haka.

Assuming you don't want to change him much, though, I do have one suggestion: give his swords similar text as Mr Fixer's Dual Crowbars: "Whenever the Knight would deal damage, he may deal the same damage to 1 other additional target as well."

That would give the knight some attacks that hit more than one target, which makes him more viable against lots of minion spawning villains, such as Chairman, Voss or Matriarch.

Otherwise, I can see he is solid in his niche of tanking for the team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
PasiMax wrote:
Eventually I'll put individual images up for the rest of the decks, once I've finished coloring everything.
BaconSnake wrote:
I would personally like to see more weapon or armor types...
At one point he had different swords and things, but the wording got messy and they started to feel too much like Mr. Fixer's tools.
Atalsen wrote:
his damage feels weak; I understand he is a tank, so damage isn't his primary...
His tanking is so effective that this hasn't been much of an issue, although we have discussed the fact that once he runs out of one-shots, his damage falls off fast. It's not a big concern, but we might eventually change Scavenger to allow him to recover his damaging one-shots, or have the swords provide a 2-damage alternate power, for use when he runs out.

Full-res PDFs are located here: http://tangent.meromorph.com/random/. I'm not keeping these current as I tweak things (images on the BGG posts will have the latest).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I submitted a RAR of the Vanished cards to the BGG file page. I tried to submit one for the Stranger's cards but the RAR was too big (20MB).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Unrelated teaser: here's the first villain from our expansion, and Quicksilver's nemesis. Next one up to be colored.

Character front/character back/deck back
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus II
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love seeing my templates being used so much. I'll probably print out these decks myself sometime, still working on my own customs right now, which will get updated soon. Been doing a lot of playtesting with my gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
They're awesome! Thanks for the great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in awe of your efforts. Phenomenal job!

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Some updates, one for the Knight and one in general, so might as well post them both here:

Added a 2-damage power to his short swords, so that he has slightly more independent damage-dealing without upping his overall damage. Will update once image uploading comes back.

I've been finding good reviews of Printer's Studio around BGG and they're doing 20% off/free US shipping for cards (use code 1D1GPlaTwe at checkout, still working as of this post, probably expires later this morning). When I put the 4 hero/1 villain and 5 promos that are done so far, it's almost at the 198-card deck, which with the discounts is $14.55 total (under $3 per deck)

So I've uploaded the first chunk of our expansion in a single massive 50MB zip file found here: tangent.meromorph.com/random/SotM_Cauldron_1_Individuals.zip

The link to custom poker decks on Printer Studio is: http://www.printerstudio.com/personalized/custom-playing-car...

Incidentally, the expansion has a name now; I'll update the card backs around the individual hero posts eventually. Merry Christmas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bright
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all your work! This stuff is amazing! Quicksilver deck is in hand already and the others are on the way via Printer Studio.

I have no idea how you can create art in an hour or so, but I've decided I'm going to try to learn to draw so I can make some of my own decks. To that end, could you (or Koga perhaps) post just a JPG or PNG of the card template. I can't open the CS4 file that Koga posted originally.

Thanks again for your awesome work! Looking forward to the environment deck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Pretty sure if you search around Koga's posts here and on the Greater Than Games forums, you can turn up some images you can use. If not, I made some pngs of the hero cards/chars with no text, if BGG's image hosting ever comes back I'll upload them to my gallery.

It would be nice if it came back soon, art for the Wandering Isle environment has been done since the outage started; at this point I've finished the art for Tiamat (three-headed dragon villain) as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
This fix has been on the back burner for a while now, but it probably needs to happen. The Knight is a ridiculous tank and Knight's Honor let's him protect people who would normally take extra damage to balance themselves. Worst offender is Chrono Ranger, but Tempest, Fixer, Doc Havoc, Quicksilver, Stranger, all of them can make crazy if they don't have to take extra damage. We've discussed different ways to balance this card, and the one we're playtesting is:

Knight's Honor (Ongoing, Limited)
When this card enters play, place it next to a target. Whenever that target would take damage, redirect that damage to the Knight. Damage redirected this way is irreducible. Power: destroy this card.

So now if the Knight's going to tank for someone, he has to spend more time playing armor (since his shields won't help) and the redirection's not optional, so you have to weigh how long you can keep it out. In the case of someone like Chrono Ranger (with his increase damage taken/dealt by X) it'll still always be worth it.

I expect to update his individual images on the tangent site in a week or two, once we've playtested a bit more. It's seeming like most people have either already printed the early decks (and need a few errata anyway) or are waiting for the whole expansion, so now's probably the least inconvenient time to make fixes like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter, not yet nine years old, really enjoys playing Sentinels of the Multiverse. In fact, it's the game she's requesting that we take on our upcoming vacation, so you know it's good.

And she only plays The Knight.

So, from my daughter to you: Good job, sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meat wrote:
My daughter, not yet nine years old, really enjoys playing Sentinels of the Multiverse. In fact, it's the game she's requesting that we take on our upcoming vacation, so you know it's good.

And she only plays The Knight.

So, from my daughter to you: Good job, sir!

Along the lines of Young Legacy, we need an alternate/promo (female) Knight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:

Oh hell to the yeah, this HAS to happen. If I could draw a straight line with a ruler I'd try it myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so RobRob planted the seed and I couldn't rest until something was done about it. Here's a quick, very much "borrowed art" version that, should no one else produce anything better (cough cough hint hint), I'll be adding into my next order for my little girl. Assuming I can come up with a good back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I like
Resolve: The Knight and all her cards regain 1hp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Robrob wrote:
I wanted to make at least one promo that was an alternate person, rather than just a reskin, but hadn't decided who. Fits pretty well for the Knight, love the borrowed art above.

I'll add it to the list of promos to make eventually, once we've tested a good power. Resolve seems fun, but not sure if it would change the playstyle that much (and with dual shields + armor it would be crazy good). More ideas welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy 'Peachy' Devery
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It of course doesn't hurt that Chris Lightfellow is one of the greatest female characters in gaming. If you want a strong female character to look up to and Utena is too young for your tastes, Chris has your back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.