Subject: new activation sequence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
andrea pagni
Italy
milano
MI
flag msg tools
Last night together wit a group of friends we had a very nice session with Iron & oak. We used the 9.3 optional rule for alternating movement. Today I realized that there is a new and possibly better activation mechanism that in my opinion could enhance gaming and simulation experience.

You have to provide 16 chits, numbered 1-16. For the session, you select the ones that will have the Order card sets used for the battle. The side designated to move first select the first one (belonging to his side). all the other are mixed up and subsequently extracted one at a time. This way no one is sure of which ship will activate next.. and how will be the sequence..

this will increase tension and will allow a decent level of fog of war..
and hopefully a much greater fun while playing

ciao

andrea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a plausible houserule - I'd send it to the designer as a possible Optional Rule to be included in a future C3i. While it does add unpredictability, it might also reduce the amount of planning a player can do . . . which is something I like, but might not be right for all players.

This is one of the very few suggested game changes to a game that I have read and actually thought might enhance/change gameplay in an interesting way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coene Peter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds great for solo play too - less planning ahead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Hamer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a brilliant idea. I did not even finish reading the OP's post before thinking 'YES!'

Having tried this variant, I highly recommend it. Play is much faster, and far less cumbersome than using the movement cards. I shudder to think of what could have been included in the game in place of the movement cards...terrain overlays, more ship counters...not to mention a savings in shipping weight.
I don't see a significant downside to playing with this variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lee, I think the OP still envisages you using the order cards - the chits just determine the order in which they activate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.