Fram Framson
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi folks,

A game I'd like to be running soon requires some assortment of polyhedral dice, same kind the RPG crowd uses. Ideally, I'd like to pick up five each of D6s, D8s, D10's, and D12's, in two colours (so 10 of each die type), for a total of 40 dice (all numbered, not dotted).

I do not wish to use a die rolling app (for phones etc.) because kids will be playing, and the game involves a lot of amount of physically matching/cancelling die rolls to determine outcomes. It will be much easier for them to just take individual plastic dice and line them up, move them around, etc.

I'm in Toronto, so I went on down to the local gaming stores, where they had some sets of 1 D4, D6, D8, D10, D12 and D20, for $6 each for the cheap ugly set or $10-$13 each for a nicer range of set. At those prices, even buying cheap sets to get what I need would run $60, so it was off to the internet to look for alternatives.

Looked up the major manufacturers and stores, Chessex, Crystal Caste, GameScience, Koplow (does not sell directly), Q-workshop (etc.). It seems they all lean towards higher-end boutique sales, which wasn't really an improvement. I also scanned ebay, and it seemed they were just reselling the major manufacturers at inflated prices. At this point I gave up looking for nice dice and just wanted to see what was the cheapest I could manage for what I needed.

Most sellers sold their polyhedrals only in sets similar to the local retail prices, so that was no improvement. One or two of the manufacturers do sell individually and Chessex has some cheaper 55-cent dice but they only ship UPS (a very overpriced form of shipping) to Canada, so I was still looking at more than $45 for a handful of dice. I was able to find a online distributor (Gamestation) selling individual Chessex dice at the same price as the Chessex site, but with better shipping rates, bringing it down to about $37, but this is the best I've found so far.

There are also some big grab-bags you can buy for $20/$25, but I wouldn't get anything close to what I'd need, plus I'd be paying even more for shipping due to weight.

My question is, before I spend $40 (after exchange rates) for a handful of the cheapest plastic dice, can I do better than this? Could anyone suggest any alternatives?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you check at www.levalet.com, they have a cheap set 6 pack (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20) for $1.99 CDN, plus shipping is fairly cheap in Canada, I think 5 or 10 bucks.

You would go to the site, click on Games Catalogue, then Dice Sets and it's the first choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irene
Ireland
Monaghan
Monaghan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a delivery of assorted Dice from Wizdice through Amazon. You don't get to choose the colours of the dice you get but I got 7 complete uniform sets (2 were the same colour) and another 7 complete sets in assorted colours. In total I got 113 dice. This seems to be par for the course according to reviews online - there is generally a number of complete uniform sets and a daily even distribution of the types of dice in the rest of the mix.

It might not suit you in this instance if you are looking for very specific colour combinations - it is just basically the luck of the draw - but it is good value if you are not too worried about the dice colours!

http://www.amazon.com/Random-Polyhedral-Dice-Multiple-Wiz/dp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
check ebay - lots of options, some not pretty but, I saw 8 sets of polyhedral dice for $20 (a pound)

some individual sets of 7 dice for .99 to 3$, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That WizDice bag looks like a good deal. 100+ dice for $20 (delivered to U.S.).

Better than the random bag of crap in a Chessex Pound-O-Dice. That's more like gambling on Tanga Trash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irene
Ireland
Monaghan
Monaghan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
That WizDice bag looks like a good deal. 100+ dice for $20 (delivered to U.S.).

Better than the random bag of crap in a Chessex Pound-O-Dice. That's more like gambling on Tanga Trash.

Yeah, I watched some unboxings on YouTube before I decided between them and I was glad I went with wiz dice. The distribution of the types of dice is very even, the sizes are all the same, and about half of the dice make up complete colour sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Joyner
msg tools
Check out the 100 dice packs from White Tower Hobbies:

http://www.amazon.com/100-Pack-Polyhedral-Dice-Translucent/d...

They're ALL translucent and have at least 12 full sets of polies per bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
eBay is my recommendation as well.

look for lots of complete sets or bulk in each type you need. I picked up a bag of d20s for $5 not too long ago

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ten 6 sided dice for only $1 !!!!

6 colors!

http://www.dollartree.com/office-school/learning-educational...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charkolius Maximus
msg tools
Well I found this Canadian website, www.boardgames.ca that appears to have plenty of dice to choose from. Inked, non-inked, grab bags of randoms that might serve your purpose, and best of all, Canadian!!
Seriously tho, if $40 is too pricey, go Red Green style and make em outta duct tape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wsjiii wrote:
Check out the 100 dice packs from White Tower Hobbies:

http://www.amazon.com/100-Pack-Polyhedral-Dice-Translucent/d...

They're ALL translucent and have at least 12 full sets of polies per bag.

That's cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schemaille
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A single copy of the Dicecapades! game will give you 5 sets of dice (d4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 20), plus some other, goofy dice. I can't check the price st the moment, but it should run about $20-25, or significantly less if you can find it at a thrift store.

Edit: just noticed that this is a six-month-old zombie thread. OP has likely already found what he needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.