Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Brocklebank
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Simple question really.
If you were only buying one of the two base games, which one would you choose? And why?

We are thinking of buying one for our club and as both are now available we are trying to decide which one would be the better choice. If you can factor in compatibility with expansions (or whether buying the other stand alone game should be the first addition) then that would also be helpful.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Dee
msg tools
Owning all 3, my opinion is...

Get Seaason 1 first, then if you end up liking it add in TCM for Zombivors.

The biggest advantage Season 1 has over Season 2, is that there is already an abundance (over 40) of official missions readily available for you to play with, through their official website.

In my opinion, Season 2 as a stand alone game, isn't that great. Yes the new rules/mechanics added in PO makes for a more complex game, however.. speaking thematically, these complexity moved the game away from feeling like a zombie apocolypse, to feeling more like a puzzle game, which to be fair at its basics is a puzzle game, but you get what I mean. My group and I didn't really like PO, we didn't hate it, we just didn't enjoy it nearly as much as S1. These days my group and I play Zombicide S1 as the base game, with TCM and some components from PO.

Which is why I recommend you get Season 1 first, and if your group enjoys it, add in TCM for Zombivors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Longino García
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a similar thread on the matter. It seems the consensus is starting with season 1, but maybe the advice that was given to me (and my subjective analysis) will be useful for you too: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1069449/zombicide-season-1-o...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evilbee wrote:
Owning all 3, my opinion is...

Get Seaason 1 first, then if you end up liking it add in TCM for Zombivors.

The biggest advantage Season 1 has over Season 2, is that there is already an abundance (over 40) of official missions readily available for you to play with, through their official website.

In my opinion, Season 2 as a stand alone game, isn't that great. Yes the new rules/mechanics added in PO makes for a more complex game, however.. speaking thematically, these complexity moved the game away from feeling like a zombie apocolypse, to feeling more like a puzzle game, which to be fair at its basics is a puzzle game, but you get what I mean. My group and I didn't really like PO, we didn't hate it, we just didn't enjoy it nearly as much as S1. These days my group and I play Zombicide S1 as the base game, with TCM and some components from PO.

Which is why I recommend you get Season 1 first, and if your group enjoys it, add in TCM for Zombivors.

This is good advise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Altr Star
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally would go for season 1 first. The mechanics are easier to learn (not that S2 is hard or anything, just a bit more fidgety). It's a great game to start everyone off with, without having to keep remembering the specifics.

Some of the newer players of my game group still forget about no range attacks on berserk zombies / targeting priority etc.

Both are great games with hours of fun in zombie killing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Willo
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why not just buy S2 and a set of extra game tiles for S1. Best of both worlds. If you don't want to buy more standard zombies straight away, and if you just want to play the season 1 scenarios with only standard zombies. It is simple enough just to use the Berserker zombies a proxies for regular zombies to give you the number required.

But personally I would buy all 3 sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with everyone who said season 1 first. But you mention a club buying it rather than an individual. For this I would put even more emphasis on season 1, if lots of different people have to come the grips with the rules, etc. Season 1 is simpler, 'cleaner' and a great starting place. I think people in your club will then like it enough to buy more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course it depends of the club. If it's the type with a lot of different poeple playing once or twice each game, then yes, go for season 1, which is incredibly streamingless.

On the other hand, if your club is full of geeks that like playing each game a lot, maybe it will be a hit, and then you'll prefer the deeper season 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brocklebank
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the advice. My usual attitude to expansions is that I'd rather have another totally different game than tweak one I already have. My only thought was whether one could effectively play Season 2 with season 1 rules. But then add in additional elements later as more complexity was desired.

The points made about club use are well made. We don't tend to see games played to death...so there will likely be quite a turnover in terms of players. Keeping things streamlined is probably better...especially with teenage boys.

Thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Serigala wrote:
...especially with teenage boys.

I think Zombicide (season 1) is perfect for teenage boys - it is easy to learn but a big game, and is a lot about teamwork/listening to each other, etc. I often use it in my work as a children's/youth worker, and I tend to play scenarios where if you lose one survivor, you lose the game.

Hope it goes well for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Serigala wrote:
The points made about club use are well made. We don't tend to see games played to death...so there will likely be quite a turnover in terms of players. Keeping things streamlined is probably better...especially with teenage boys.

Season 1 will allow you to play once in a while without having to read the rules again.

Season 2 has more meat, but is less streamingless.

While i understand your position about expansion, i think some of them really deserves the price, and make a game already excellent still better.
But of course it's mainly a matter of taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skritter wrote:
Why not just buy S2 and a set of extra game tiles for S1. Best of both worlds. If you don't want to buy more standard zombies straight away, and if you just want to play the season 1 scenarios with only standard zombies. It is simple enough just to use the Berserker zombies a proxies for regular zombies to give you the number required.

But personally I would buy all 3 sets.

This is what I did. I got the S2 KS with PO and TCM. The KS came with extra zombies so I don't need proxies. TCM conveniently comes with the S1 character cards along with the S1 zombivor figures to act as stand ins. I added in the S1 tiles and can play S1 scenarios relatively uncompromised.
(TCM item cards include pans, and if you just ignore the berserker indicators, the zombie action cards are statistically similar to S1. You will still be missing a few item cards, but nothing to game changing)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greece
Athens
Agios Dimitrios
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well a friend of mine who has played both season 1 anad 2 said that generally season 1 is more thematic and season 2 is more complicated and bit harder!!!
I've read many comments and i asked people their opinion!
To me season 2 seems better because of all the additional staff that it has!But I'm really confused about which one should i prefer!
Does anyone can haelp me with this dielimma?

I suppose that after this long it will be easier for someone who has tested both to suggest me a solution!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have read many comments and asked lots of people their opinion and you are confused. I'm afraid we will add to the confusion if we add any more opinions! My preference is for Season 1, I know others would go with Season 2, so it's not helpful.

It's not about opinions in the end - play a few games if you can. You will probably find your best game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Fallon wrote:
Well a friend of mine who has played both season 1 anad 2 said that generally season 1 is more thematic and season 2 is more complicated and bit harder!!!
I've read many comments and i asked people their opinion!
To me season 2 seems better because of all the additional staff that it has!But I'm really confused about which one should i prefer!
Does anyone can haelp me with this dielimma?

I suppose that after this long it will be easier for someone who has tested both to suggest me a solution!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

It's actually a really tricky question to answer.

It would, in my opinion, have been much better if GG had stuck to their original plans for Prison Outbreak and released it as a pure-expansion. However, they've said that as they added more and more to it it became more and more suited to being released as a stand-alone expansion.

Now, complicating things is also the fact that the right answer depends on what you want from a purchase...

Are you looking to get one box and that's it?
Or are you looking to for a good starting point from which to buy in to the entire franchise?

..what you want from the game...

Do you want a small set of components that all work together seamlessly?
Or do you want a larger set that maybe isn't quite so flexible?

...and how complicated you want it to be.

Can you handle diving in at the deep end, with multiple types of multiple zombie strains, and choices such as whether to play as Survivor or Zombivor?
Or do you want to start simple and build up the complexity step by step?

Season 1 is that small set, with a low-level of complexity, where everything works together seamlessly, and so is the ideal starting point for someone looking to buy into the franchise and build from a solid foundation.

Prison Outbreak (Season 2), however, as you say, gives you much more options, and more complexity, but loses some of it's flexibility, because the Prison tiles really only work in a comparatively small number of arrangements, and may be the better choice for someone looking to buy a single set.

However, if one is looking for a single set, but wants more flexibility, and less complexity, then Season 1 is the better choice!

But, this completely ignores Toxic City Mall, which can be used to add complexity to both Season 1 and Prison Outbreak.

It also adds slightly less, to the base game play, than Prison Outbreak, so an option for someone wanting more flexibility than Prison Outbreak, but more complexity than Season 1 alone, is to get Season 1 and Toxic City Mall.

And then there's Zombie Dogz and Companion Dogs to consider, again these each can be used with any set, and each add a single layer of additional complexity to the game (vicious undead dogs, in the case of Zombie Dogz, and powerful friendly dogs, in the case of Companion Dogs).

In short...

In most cases I would recommend buying Season 1.

Then, if you want something more than just a single box, looking to add first Toxic City Mall, perhaps Dogz and/or Dogs, if they take your fancy, and then Prison Outbreak later.

I would only recommend getting Prison Outbreak, and nothing else, if you were looking to get slightly more complexity, and didn't mind the restrictive nature of the Prison tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also...
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
It's not about opinions in the end - play a few games if you can. You will probably find your best game.
...is very true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greece
Athens
Agios Dimitrios
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!
I guess i'll go for season 1 and if i like it then i'll try toxic mall,etc.

You've been really helpful.

Thanks a lot!

Edit: Before the final purchase i saw that there are
Zombicide : Game Tiles!

www.philibertnet.com/en/edge/25655-zombicide-game-tiles-2100...

Does this combined with th PO gives the flexibility of S1 and the complexity of S2?

Or ot is an extra for S1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Fallon wrote:

Edit: Before the final purchase i saw that there are
Zombicide : Game Tiles!

www.philibertnet.com/en/edge/25655-zombicide-game-tiles-2100...

Does this combined with th PO gives the flexibility of S1 and the complexity of S2?

Or ot is an extra for S1?

Personally, I wouldn't go for extra tiles - but I feel the "extra complexity of S2" does not make for a better game. S1 is a good starter, and if you want to add, toxic zombies (as opposed to Mall tiles, for example) are what adds to the game. Likewise, berserker zombies are better than prison tiles. I think the best tiles are the season 1 tiles. Your original idea of going for S1 is good, then add as you see fit, because by then, you will have a better idea of what suits you best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greece
Athens
Agios Dimitrios
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Done S1 it is!!!

You 're amazing guys,thanx a lot!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as previously mentioned, with the S1 tiles + PO you can play the S1 missions on top of the S2 missions and make those missions sort of "S1 only" in complexity to a certain degree. EDIT i should have emphasised this part
Then you would get a taste of both sides

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greece
Athens
Agios Dimitrios
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So buying PO+s1 tiles will allow me to play both senarios from season 1 and 2?
There will be any problem to the gameplay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
as previously mentioned, with the S1 tiles + PO you can play the S1 missions on top of the S2 missions and make those missions sort of "S1 only" in complexity to a certain degree.
Then you would get a taste of both sides

Except that Season 1 is not just a set of Tiles and Tokens.

For me a big part of what gives it it's flavour is the equipment and spawn cards, and whilst the PO cards are similar, they're different enough to make it a different experience altogether.

It's like pasta - pasta is pasta is pasta - that doesn't mean that Spaghetti in a Carbonara sauce is anything like Spaghetti Bolognaise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Fallon wrote:
You can, but...

Quote:
You will be playing Spaghetti Carbonara, not Spaghetti Bolognaise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greece
Athens
Agios Dimitrios
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Neil Fallon wrote:
You can, but...

Quote:

Though I love Spaghetti Carbonara i understand what you 're saying!
I'll put an end to my confusion and buy the S1 for start!
After that i'll decide if i need something more from this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Fallon wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Neil Fallon wrote:
You can, but...

Quote:

Though I love Spaghetti Carbonara i understand what you 're saying!
I'll put an end to my confusion and buy the S1 for start!
After that i'll decide if i need something more from this!

Good call I recommend season 1 as THE place to start.
Season 2 is a stand alone expansion but still an expansion.

The only way I would recommend someone buy season 2 before season 1. Is if they have already played and like both season 1 and 2.

I have seen people say that season 2 is harder...
Do you guys really feel this way?
Season 2 is more involved, and definitely requires more thought.

But overall I think it is easier, but takes a lot more time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.