Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sedan racing around a royal French courtyard. A silly light game of 6 races which feature prize money for 1st, 2nd and 3rd that increase each race. The first few races were ok, then the game went steadily downhill for me I'm afraid, both in terms of scoring and rating.

Your sedan moving capability is made up of 4 cards from the set (-2, 1, 2, 3, 5 and the +2/-2 card which allows you to move forward 2 and opponents back a total 2 spaces). You allocate each card to the numbers 1 through 4, and the race consists of rolling a 4 sided dice and moving whatever the card says that you allocated to that number. There's some decision making at the start, auctioning off 4 sets of cards. Then, to even up, at the end of each race, the loser gets rid of their worst card and also wipes the best card from each of the other players. You get a random replacement, then two more sets of cards get auctioned, so you have the choice of wiping your hand and starting afresh.

Auctions are however conducted where each player only knows 1 card, so it's a lottery what you'll end up with if you win. Another player bidding it up may have seen a great 5, or a lousy -2 and is just trying to get you to spend money. The races themselve are a dice-fest with absolutely no control. God help you if you come third, like I did in the first 3 races. You lose your best card from a relatively lousy hand to start with, and probably need to spend yet more money from your meagre prize money on a new set of cards to get competitive.

Scores: Sorry, can't remember as I tried to blank it from my mind. I know I was a sorry sorry last.

A rating of 4 after 1 game for 'poor game, but could be talked it into in the future I guess'. For 45 minutes, it was too long for what are, after all, filler type mechanics. There was at least some fun in the random racing and some bidding options to give you a semblance of future hope for better things. But alas, if given a choice ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.