Popular Tags: [View All]
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game today. We had a question -

I know when being interrogated through the ambassador that you cannot pass a pair of cards that duplicate 2 of a 3 card triplet you previously passed the same person.

However, is the converse true? That is, if you show tall and fat to someone who is using the ambassador to interrogate you, can you show tall, fat, and agent X when he interrogates you in person on the next turn?

This situation is not covered in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The converse is not true. If you show two cards through the Ambassador, sets of three cards including them are legitimate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Roberto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played again last night. This rule seems counterintuitive:

-you cannot show a pair that is a subset of a previous triplet
-you can show a triplet that is a superset of a previous pair

I'm trying to think of a thematic way to explain this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Brien
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I explain it is that you're OK as long as you provide new information.

That's why showing three cards, and then two of them to the Ambassador is legal, because the "true" card can be narrowed down. If you've already shown two cards via the Ambassador though, you cannot just add a card next time, because no new information can be deduced about that card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John, that superficially makes sense, but isn't it exactly the opposite of the rules?

The rules say "when you show your cards to another player whose figure is questioning the ambassador, you are not allowed to show a pair of cards that are the same as those you have shown to that player before, or that are part of a combination of three cards you have shown to that player before."

Thus, as I read this, you can not show a pair that duplicates part of a triplet, but according to Roberto, you can show a triplet that contains the pair.

Are the rules backwards?

I like your version better - makes more sense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.