Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Tinney
Australia
BROKEN HILL
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen lots of different ways to organise the "bits" inside an Eclipse box on the geek. From tackle boxes to cardboard inserts to Tupperware to tuckboxes they all lacked a certain something for me. Having purchased some of the excellent acrylic cube trays from [blogpost=20185]here[/blogpost] I wanted some individual containers for each race to hold influence disks, ships, starbases, resource markers, ambassadors, colony ships and (in the case of the Enlightened) shrines etc.

As it turns out the favourite container of the craft hobbyist, the Altiods tin, fits the bill perfectly with very little rattle (which is another way of saying that you can fit all the bits in, but only just). I was of course very keen to personalise the tins as they don't really fit the theme very well as is.

Start with 9 empty tins and separate the lids from them using a screwdriver to gently prize the hinges open. This step insures a much more even coverage of undercoat

Once all are taken apart they are spaced evenly on a layer of plastic (This is important as it means when the tins dry they do not stick to the sheet. I used a few garbage bags) in a well ventilated area for spraying

Give the tins several coats of spray undercoat, following the instructions on the tin. You may need more coats than you think to cover all the text and images on the tins however you don't need to fully obscure everything if you spring for high quality coloured paint. Leave the tins for a full 24 hours to dry completely. Beware small insects which want to commit suicide by landing on the wet paint (it happened to me, I had to rig up a board elevated on a few bricks to provide cover while they dried)

If you've got it use coloured spray paint to paint a lid and base each of the 9 colours used in the game. I did not have any and could not justify the expense so I used acrylic craft paint and a brush. While this worked well enough I STRONGLY recommend forking out for decent quality paint (ie $5 a tube or so, you can always use the remainder in other projects). It gives a more even colour and provides better coverage meaning less coats are needed (again, this is important as the less paint you use the better the lids will fit). I left gaps in the middles because I was worried the colour would show through the paper I was going to glue on. It turns out I didn't need to worry about it. If you don't want to glue labels on the tins then you could just paint the whole tin, skip the next step and go straight to the varnish

Next you need to work out what kind of labels you want for your tins. I am not a huge fan of using the portraits off the player boards to distinguish storage boxes so I created my own labels based on the race symbols. You can download the file here.
Print them off, cut them out and glue them to the tins. I put the alien symbol on the lid, the human/magellan symbol on the base. I found that superglue works best as it dries clear. Be careful however that it doesn't cause the ink on the paper to run or smudge.
I got the rounded corners by using a smaller tin and, using it as a guide, cutting around the curved corner of the tin with a scalpel. I suggest using a round corner punch if you can afford one as it's much neater

Give the whole lot a coat of clear spray varnish to protect your hard work, re-assemble the tins and pack all the components in

And, as we say in the south land, Bob's your proverbial!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn! That's another one of my games I'll now be ashamed to bring to the table in case anyone has seen this awesomeness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great idea. Do the cube trays fit in there too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tinney
Australia
BROKEN HILL
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the cubes don't fit.
I store my cubes separately in trays (link above to the blog where I bought them) which sit inside 3 empty CD cases. It works quite well however they are a bit if a pain to transfer to the board from the cases without spilling cubes everywhere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Lund
Denmark
Århus
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes, Beware the Geek bringing gifts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very passable. Very passable, indeed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerrin 2
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Those are very cool! The labels you created are beautiful.

Thank you for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy betsch
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I have found that EVERYTHING you need to play a given race can fit inside a single UltraPro Deckbox except for that race's starting hex. The turn order/reaction card, all the race's plastic ships and wooden bits and the cardboard tokens required for the race all fit snugly into the deckbox. I have 9 deckboxes of corresponding color in my main box, and everything else fits in the main box alongside them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tinney
Australia
BROKEN HILL
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally added the link to the file for my race cards into the above post.

If you can't be bothered looking for it above this is also a link to the file (yes this text; just click on it. I dare you)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bosse Batong
msg tools
Very elegant solution. Would be nice if these could fit into my own homemade Eclipse organizer. What are the dimensions of the boxes (preferably in mm)? Do they fit the ships from Ship Pack 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tinney
Australia
BROKEN HILL
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tins are approximately 9.68 x 6.19 x 1.92 cm (according to answers.yahoo. Sorry, I'm not at home right now to measure)

I don't own Ship Pack 1 so i'm not sure if the new ships will fit or not. I expect they will not as most of them are larger than the base ships(?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tinney
Australia
BROKEN HILL
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These tins are now available for auction in the 2015 Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction (item number 392).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.