Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Expedition: Northwest Passage» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do you have to explore straits? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Do you have to explore a strait and pick up the token before you can move your ship through it?

I'm guessing not, because we couldn't find a rule requiring it, so we have allowed movement through straits even if the token is still in place (this allows the token to be "explored" and picked up at a later time). But one of our players thought that is how it should be played, and thematically, there is some logic to that argument.

Sorry if this is a silly question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that you are right - there is no rule forbidding movement in this case, so it is allowed.

Your player is probably right about it being thematic, that some explorers will probably want to take the time (i.e., use an action) to explore a strait - and they would legitimately gain the prestige should do so.

But it also seems reasonable that some explorers might just be in a hurry to find the Northwest Passage, and they might save the time and move on, hoping to gain prestige in other ways. Yet other explorers might prioritize looking for remains of the Franklin Expedition, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W*m L**naerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
But it also seems reasonable that some explorers might just be in a hurry to find the Northwest Passage, and they might save the time and move on, hoping to gain prestige in other ways. Yet other explorers might prioritize looking for remains of the Franklin Expedition, etc.

I think those are the two main strategies in the game: go for the tokens (which costs you a lot of actions) or go for the race to the NW passage.
And a combination of both of course.

@OP: seeing how much it costs you to pick up those tokens it would slow down the game tremendously if everyone had to pick them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Tourigny
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, joedogboy, picking up the tokens is not mandatory. Think of it as taking extra special care to explore the area. Not everyone is going to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for the clarification, Yves. And thanks for creating this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.