Adam 'Fenn' Fenton
Scotland
Falkirk
flag msg tools
200 Geekgold and all I got was this lousy Overtext
badge
Oooh - I got this Overtext too!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wondering if it's even possible, but when I bought the base game I figured 'FFG can't have put this together and made it impossible to play like this, right?'

So I've looked, and I've tried for myself, and I cannot find a solo deck that gets me through all the scenarios in the base game, using only the cards from one copy of said base game. No cards from expansions. No duplicates of Unexpected Courage. Just what came in the box, beating what came in the box, solo.

Please help! I want to like this game and play it more, but this has become my white whale and I can't move forward on it!

(And I'm sure that box is mocking me...)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poage
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy Adam,

http://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/beorns-path/

I have a series on my blog called Beorn's Path, which starts with building a pair of decks using only a single copy of the core set. I play through each of the scenarios in order. Even now, Escape From Dol Guldur is a very challenging scenario to tackle solo. You may want to play with a friend (don't worry, you won't need a second copy of the core set), or you can play two-handed. It is definitely possible to make decks using only the core set that can beat the first 3 scenarios.

Good luck!
8 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam 'Fenn' Fenton
Scotland
Falkirk
flag msg tools
200 Geekgold and all I got was this lousy Overtext
badge
Oooh - I got this Overtext too!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BeornUrsus wrote:
Howdy Adam,

http://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/beorns-path/

I have a series on my blog called Beorn's Path, which starts with building a pair of decks using only a single copy of the core set. I play through each of the scenarios in order. Even now, Escape From Dol Guldur is a very challenging scenario to tackle solo. You may want to play with a friend (don't worry, you won't need a second copy of the core set), or you can play two-handed. It is definitely possible to make decks using only the core set that can beat the first 3 scenarios.

Good luck!


Thanks, but I'm adamant that there must be some solo deck in there that's able to beat each of the scenarios. Elsewise, how can the game be sold saying its possible to play solo? I'm not expecting the same deck for each scenario - or that it has to be 50 cards big or whatever.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Your best bet is Aragorn-Eowyn-Theodred. Put all Leadership and Spirit cards together, 3 Gandalfs and two any other cards that you won't be able to play because of resource matching, but you need those to get to 50 cards.

Passage through Mirkwood will be easy (as ever).

Journey along the Anduin will be hard and you will need a good starting hand to get past that troll (Gandalf and Sneak Attack preferably). But if you do, and manage to get Faramir and some allies into play you will have a good chance of winning this.

Escape from Dol Guldur can also be beaten with this deck, but you will have to be very lucky when drawing cards for the objectives at startup (preferably 3 treacheries) and lose Theodred as the prisoner. But, if you get lucky at setup, this will be easier then Journey along the Anduin when everything 's in place. Otherwise it will be an exercise in frustration.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Tello
Spain
Oiartzun
Guipúzcoa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
swampers wrote:
I'm not expecting the same deck for each scenario - or that it has to be 50 cards big or whatever.

I beat all the 3 scenarios (yes, Dol-Guldor too, but only twice of tens of tries) with the mono leadership deck and 3 Gandalfs. You can remove 2 For Gondor(not for Anduin) or 2 Common Cause to fit the 30 cards.
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam 'Fenn' Fenton
Scotland
Falkirk
flag msg tools
200 Geekgold and all I got was this lousy Overtext
badge
Oooh - I got this Overtext too!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
karagh wrote:
swampers wrote:
I'm not expecting the same deck for each scenario - or that it has to be 50 cards big or whatever.

I beat all the 3 scenarios (yes, Dol-Guldor too, but only twice of tens of tries) with the mono leadership deck and 3 Gandalfs. You can remove 2 For Gondor(not for Anduin) or 2 Common Cause to fit the 30 cards.


Just the sort of evidence I'm after! All I needed to know was that it was achievable, I guess. Many thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you page back to the early days of these forums, you will find many threads discussing strategies to beat Dol Goldor solo. There's also, as I recall, several session reports from people did beat it solo using just one core set. The short answer is that it is very very hard, even with the complete card pool. Fundamentally, the scenario starts you with 3 encounter cards and 2 heroes - that's tougher than any other start yet published solo. And, even with the perfect deck, you're going to need a lot of luck to beat it.

My advice would be not to get stuck there. Put it aside as a very advanced challenge and come back to it after several adventure packs. If very very hard is fun for you, then by all means knock yourself out. But don't judge the game by that challenge, most of it is considerably more reasonable.

Personally, I beat Dol Goldor with Berevor/Eowyn/Theodred with Berevor captured.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, if you like the game and it starts to click for you, don't get hung up on trying to beat Dol Guldor before exploring what else the game has to offer through the expansions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Boofus wrote:
Your best bet is Aragorn-Eowyn-Theodred. Put all Leadership and Spirit cards together, 3 Gandalfs and two any other cards that you won't be able to play because of resource matching, but you need those to get to 50 cards.

Passage through Mirkwood will be easy (as ever).

Journey along the Anduin will be hard and you will need a good starting hand to get past that troll (Gandalf and Sneak Attack preferably). But if you do, and manage to get Faramir and some allies into play you will have a good chance of winning this.

Escape from Dol Guldur can also be beaten with this deck, but you will have to be very lucky when drawing cards for the objectives at startup (preferably 3 treacheries) and lose Theodred as the prisoner. But, if you get lucky at setup, this will be easier then Journey along the Anduin when everything 's in place. Otherwise it will be an exercise in frustration.


This is good info for all. Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.