Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
287 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] | 

Black Crusade» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Midnight Mass [IC] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
IC || OOC || wiki


Scenario 3. Look at first OOC post for more.

Current players are:
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Sometimes it just gets to be too much...
Avatar
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason H
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
Avatar
mb


Characters:
Ferrus Havelock
Cain
Abelard
Rosenberg
Tassus Callimachus

Thermorb Gazetteer
Thermorb
Sargosanopel
The slum of Khardz with list of gangs
Map of Sargosanopel
4 
 Thumb up
3.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
A couple of months has passed since you joined with the Court of Change, and you have moved your headquarters to their base. You are the pride of Duke Ellezar, and your presence alone assures his dominance of the cult. He treats you all well, except for Abelard, whom he seems to think is a minion of Callimachus. He acts like he is a part of your compact, but you always discuss your affairs away from him. Not that you discuss much, you have spent much time apart, pursuing individual goals.

Time has come though, to plan ahead. You see that Ellezar some time in the future will drown Sargosanopel, or perhaps the entire planet, in blood, but that ambition is far below what you have in mind for yourselves. He wants to be the puppet master, playing the part of an Imperial noble at court, while scheming behind the scenes in his palace. You want to make the entire planet a testament to the glory of Chaos! Still, the first steps in his plans are reasonable enough, so you help where you can. He is pushing the mutants and poor of Sargosanopel into desperation with his Order of Truth, and is hoping for a violent uprising. Sadly, Khardz is rather peaceful, much because of the lack of armaments among the population, and the large amount of armament amongst the law and clergy; not counting the Duke's Order.

You have tried to find a weapon cache large enough, but have so far failed. A couple of days ago you got a message from Drioton. He has says he has found what you are looking for, and requests and audience with all of you in your private chambers. You have granted his wish.


So, first post. Could I have a post from everyone about going to this meeting, and perhaps a bit about how you spent the last couple of months? Some instructions you need to work into it: Aaron: Cain has been working on the runes he found in the palace, he thinks he is on trace of a great ritual. Jason: Ferrus has become interested in the strange radioactive mineral found on Thermorb, Thermium.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever since Cain's blessings from Tzeentch, he has felt less anxious and frightened than usual; he's still deranged and neurotic - but the psyker has a newfound sense of self-assuredness.

In the past few months, Cain has been working with Ferrus on deciphering the runes, and helping out the Heretek with his dark experiments.

He's grown to enjoy the company of Ferrus - despite the fact he can be a tad morose. Nonetheless, it was a delight for Cain to have someone to converse about high-minded subjects.

****

Cain pulls himself away from his work on the chaotic runes.

Damn! so close. I can see the patterns, but can't seem to figure out what's needed for the ritual!

No matter. Soon, I shall I figure it out. Lomb! clean up my quarters, while I goto this meeting. And I don't want to find drool everywhere when I get back!


He makes his way towards the meeting.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Sometimes it just gets to be too much...
Avatar
Abelard has spent much of his time away from the other members of the compact. He has spent countless hours honing his skills with firearms. He is determined to make a name for himself as The Shotgun Wielding Forsaken. He has also spent time getting quite comfortable with the feel and balance of his powermaul. He now favors the maul over his chainsword.

When not in weapons practice or weapons maintenance, Abelard spent many long hours scouring the capital of Thermorb. Sargosanopel is well known to Abelard by now, he knows the city and all its hills like the back of his own hand. He learned the city while searching in vain for the black robed one who wore a powered belt and floated about the ground as he walked. That is MY belt...

Abelard extends as much interest in Duke Ellezar as the Duke has shown him. And he avoids being near the Duke as much as possible, which is simple since the Duke tends not to notice his presence. The time has finally come for action - Drioton desires an audience. As Abelard makes his way to the private chambers, he says aloud for all to hear: About time we start moving forward again, I am anxious for real action. Then to himself: Hopefully Cain will let others play this time.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
Avatar
mb
Callimachus has decided to reconnect with his former Alpha Legion cell. Checking in with his network, he sees that his current actions are acceptable and that he should continue on his current path. Additional resources may be provided if he can prove himself worthy of such aid.

However, Callimachus's network is not affiliated with any chain that leads to Abelard. Gods! Is there no one who knows why I must deal with this lunatic? He must have some important purpose here, all appearances to the contrary. At least the Duke shares my disdain for him, ha!

Amongst the general population, he hones his ability to interact with the populace. This is somewhat difficult due to his "gift", but nonetheless Callimachus still finds those willing to work with the Legion in a misguided attempt for something more from their pitiful lives.

***

Finally something of interest. Hopefully this will bring glory to the Legion. I think the network would be pleased with this rock. Callimachus turns to Abelard, I hate to think that I am becoming as hyperactive as yourself, but I must agree that I feel the need for activity.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason H
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferrus has been toiling away in his workshop for months on his latest creations, occasionally coming out only for supplies and to work with Cain on deciphering his runes.

Ferrus is almost always accompanied by his new Dybuk minion created with the assistance of Cain. He decided to name his new minion Gabriel as he recalled from some of his elder studies that it was the name of the angel of death in a long since lost religion. He felt this name right to herald in a new age under his power.

An inability to focus on completing his crafting kept springing up from this Thermium Ferrus has taken notice of. He couldn't get it off of his mind and has an overpowering desire to get more of it. He has been sending out Kyner with his auspex to record Rosenberg and his weapon to get more information on this rare and powerful material.

Ferrus received Diotron's summons and, whilst he is loathe to leave work unfinished, left with most haste to meet his companions.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Rosenberg adjusts the four scalps he now has proudly mounted on his armor. The newest addition has barely begun to stiffen.

That psyker never stood a chance. Especially not with this.

He picks up his Long Las and charges it up, feeling the deep hum and basking in the green light of the Thermium. He powers it back down and throws it back over his shoulder.

As he receives word from Drioton, he smirks to himself and sucks his teeth.

These weapons better have some teeth to them. If all else fails, I know how to install Thermium into them and we can wreck havoc that way.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Drioton Speaks
So, Ferrus finally got his Scythe. Do you want me to put it in your sheet? I guess you will want to make it a daemon weapon, though that will have to be in the next downtime. Let me know how you like to proceed with that. Perhaps we can make it a part of the story somehow.

I have made tertiary missions for everyone, except Cain. So if Aaron can pick ones of Cain’s lore skills, I will make one based on that.


You enter into your planning chamber; each seat around the table is made to be pleasing to the owner of that seat. After a few minutes of idle talk, Drioton enters. He is walking unusually straight, you get the impression he has summoned all the courage he has for this meeting.

He begins, “As you all know, we have talking for some time now about how to bring arms into Khardz. The slum is at the mercy of the Cardinal and Autokrator, and it is in our interest to keep the area unstable. Our best idea so far has been the weapons depot of Pontifex Bithric. He is an off-worlder who has served in the Imperial Guard. He has aspirations to arm the faithful, and create a regiment that he can take to the Spinward Front. He has a sizeable weapons depot in his shrine. Tens of thousands of weapons. The problems with idea, as we have discussed, is the security at the shrine. The amount of weapons in the depot means we must have ready access, and the only way to get that, is having the proper authorization. We need the key. The pontifex rarely leaves his mansion, so if we are to get the key, we need to confront him, without him fleeing.”

Drioton draws breath, and meets the gaze from all of you, dead on, “I have found a way to get into the mansion, and confront Bithric. I will tell you how to get to Bithric, but I want something in return. I am tired of the Imperium, and what you have told me about the Screaming Vortex tells me that there is where I should be. I can hear it calling for me, through the Warp. You have resources, I require transportation there, and sufficient funds to set up a reasonable operation.”

Someone needs to pay him two infamy. Feel free to detail exactly what you offer him. Remember that you have influence both in the Screaming Vortex and the Calaxis sector, that we haevn’t accurately described.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
If you find other ways to have Drioton give you the information, without paying. That is up to you.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason H
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Drioton, I don't believe you truly understand. The Screaming Vortex is quite interesting, that is true, but there is nothing there for you. The Screaming Vortex has been abused and battered to the breaking point. There is nothing left there hasn't been done, nothing new to glorify Tzeentch. Tzeentch is the god of change and everything is stuck in an endless cycle of the same thing. Out here you can despoil worlds, change worshipers of the corpse god to side of truth, and all of this you cannot do in the vortex. This sector, despoiling the worshipers and property of the corpse emperor, is where you belong and we need your help to spread the word of Tzeentch."

Charm: 1d100 = (4) = 4(45 [45 -20 untrained +20 target friendly])
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 475796. merashin
  • 1d100 =
  • (4) =
  • 4
  • Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:08 am
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Not that friendly. I am giving you +10 for being Favourable. Still, 4 DoS. You need two.

Willpower (32):1d100 = (2) = 2
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 475861. karlkrlarsson
  • 1d100 =
  • (2) =
  • 2
  • Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:41 am
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
"You might speak the truth master Ferrus, but still, I need to see for my self. I know that the Lod of Change wants me to, how can I bring his will, when I have not seen it in is perfect glory."

Lucky roll that.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll spend the 2 infamy. Also, I'll choose Forbidden Lore (Psykers) for my tertiary objective

This man seems determined in his desire to leave the Imperium.

Cain feels the slightest twinge of empathy - almost drowned in the blackness of his heart. He imagines Drioton has some things in his life he wishes to escape from; a sentiment the psyker can relate to.

Pah! Fine. Drioton, I can arrange your departure to the Screaming Vortex if you wish. Consider it a favor for helping us find The Court of Change. I'll get in touch with my some of my contacts, who can get you transportation.

However, before any of that happens you will tell us what you know, and bring us to this weapon depot.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
"As I said, I can get you the pass key. As you know, the depot is within the Shrine of The Emperor's Light, the Pontifex has the key. His mansion is well protected, but I can get us inside. Thermium, the blessing and curse of this planet. It provides power, and lights up the abodes of the powerful, but it can also create mutations. I have found a man, he is the custodian of the Pontifex's thermium generator. He is a mutant, though he doesn't know it. He has grown a second brain, and sometimes this brain takes control and roams Khardz doing unspeakable things. I have met this man, and the next time the chaotic brain takes control, he will help you inside the mansion."

Drioton smiles smugly, "This is my last offering to you. Access to tens of thousands of guns. I am sure you will have success, and bring Thermorb to Chaos, but I will be elsewhere."

The shrine is called something else on the map. I'll fix that later. Tertiary objectives are also coming up.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Drioton takes a few steps back, "Make arrangments master Cain. You will have word from me when my contact is ready, I hope to leave soon after that." He turns around and leaves.

Tertiary objectives
Callimachus: To be revealed
Rosenberg: His skill with the long las is getting notorious. It will be more so if he uses no other ranged weapon for this mission.
Abelard: Callimachus is always making fun of you, it would be a fitting revenge if you made a fool out of him somehow.
Ferrus: Thermium is a powerful source of power. Many of the rich use rods of Thermium for power. If you coild get one of these rods, you could fit it directly into your Potentia Coil.
Cain: The Imperium has many psykers in their ranks, but Cain has bot encountered any of them for a long time. He wants to capture one alive.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Sometimes it just gets to be too much...
Avatar
Abelard thinks about the so-called Champion and smiles to himself: I'm gonna really get that guy... somehow.

!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Okay, so the Pontifex is in the Palace of the Autokrator? Is the thermium generator within the walls of the Palace, or outside of them?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
The highest ranking clergy on a planet is the Cardinal. The Pontifeces are below him. Bithric is the pontifex in Khardz, and his seat is the shrine shown on the map. His mansion is right next to it. The generators are below the mansion.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason H
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, our fair leader is making a mistake and being too generous. I shall have to make arrangements to fix his mistake.

Ferrus will do what he can to intercept the expenditure of Infamy and slowly filter it back to Cain. He will also make an infamy roll to get some people to kill Drioton as he tries to leave planet. 1d100 = (96) = 96 p.308 of the core book says that the difficulty of hiring a trained assassin to kill someone is the target's infamy score as a penalty to your roll. So, (34 + 10 for single acquisition - his infamy) is the target.

If he fails that roll Ferrus'll try to sneak Gabriel onto the shuttle that will take Drioton into orbit when this is all done.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 476246. merashin
  • 1d100 =
  • (96) =
  • 96
  • Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:57 am
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Gabriel will need to roll Loyalty to see if his mission is a success. Also, we should do some roll to see if Ferrus manges to filter back Cain's resources. Both of this roll we'll do at the end of the scenario. So remind me of that.

This also means that Gabriel won't be around for the upcoming mission. Is that fine with you Jason?


A few days later, you get word from Drioton. And soon you are picked up by an inconspicuous truck. After a short drive you end up outside the Shrine of the Emperor's Light. Because of the Thermium power, this shrine is the most illuminated building in Khardz, next to it is an almost equally glorious building, the pontifex's mansion.

Outside the shrine there are several larges pyres, mutans are burnt here constantly by the pontifex's people. Now, as night is about to fall, the square is littered with ash and burnt wood. The truck you are in, and others like it, contains workers that brush the remains of the day's festivities down into large grated man holes.

You are supposed to meet your contact underground. At the right moment you will jump from the truck into the underground chambers below the shrine, square and mansion.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Rosenberg speaks to others in a hushed tone.

We can find our way down through those grates. Better to do so before it gets too dark...the light from the shrine would surely give us away. Unless you think we need are more grandiose approach. These truck engines are highly combustible, especially if shot at with a thermium infused Long Las. I can make enough of a scene that this fodder around us will pay us no mind.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason H
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
karlkrlarsson wrote:
Gabriel will need to roll Loyalty to see if his mission is a success. Also, we should do some roll to see if Ferrus manges to filter back Cain's resources. Both of this roll we'll do at the end of the scenario. So remind me of that.

This also means that Gabriel won't be around for the upcoming mission. Is that fine with you Jason?


Yeah, I'm fine with that. I was already planning for that actually. On a quick side note does machine 4 qualify him for the +10 loyalty from Binary Chatter

As the truck is moving in Ferrus is staying near a window or other porthole to try and pinpoint the Thermium generators so that he can come into them from underground and steal their precious precious Thermium.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
That makes sense Jason. Anything Ferrus makes gets that bonus.

The generators are underground, most nobles and other important figures keep several under their mansions. They would roughly be the size of a car


In the square in front of the Shrine, you would never know if it was night or day, since the lighting there is so luminous. Still, a distraction is welcome, and as a truck goes up in flames (by the long las of Rosenberg), Ferrus tears open a man hole, and you all slip inside.

The descent is more perilous than you thought since the drop down is more than 10 meters, with a bit of luck, you get down safe. Cavernous catacombs is what you find, with rivers of sewage and soot cutting throgh them. There are workers down here as well, brushing the remains that fall down from the square into the sewage. Some worke, while other gather at small shrines along the wall, worshipping the Emperor and his saints.

Not sure where to go, you suddenly see a hood figure waving to you. You hurry over to the man, he looks like a regular Imperial citizen, but one that is treated slightly better than the thronging masses. He even has some cybernetic implants, "Do not mind these wretches, they are poor and stupid. My name is Jadez, and I have the outmost pleasure of showing you inside the the most holy uglyness' mansion. Follow me!" He walks toward one of the side exits. The angle of it shows that it must lead towards the pontifex's mansion.

There was supposed to be a picture here, but the image serves is down.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Sometimes it just gets to be too much...
Avatar
Callimachus, your reputation precedes you. Even Jadez knows you as a poor and stupid wretch. But never mind that, just be sure to keep up with the rest of us. Wouldn't want you to miss out on combat... again.
2 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason H
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving on down the path behind the group's new guide Ferrus nearly breaks off from the group several times as he hears the hum of the generators, but catches himself for his duty to the mission. When not distracted by his hopes for Thermium Ferrus is sizing up the wretches around him to see if anything is worth grabbing on his way out and watching the guide ever expecting him to lead us into an ambush.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.