Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: This was written as the belated November entry for the monthly-ish column I write for a local-to-me parenting blog. I live in Champaign, IL, thus the "down the road."

Headquartered down the road in St. Louis, Greater Than Games exploded onto the hobby game publishing scene in 2011. They’re the classic story of guys who succeeded because nobody told them they were “doing it wrong,” and in the space of a few months went from complete unknowns to award-nominated publishers with an intensely loyal fan base. Their flagship game, Sentinels of the Multiverse, rapidly became one of the Grasshopper’s favorites after we first got to play it late this summer. (He drew the picture anchoring this post, and the timing of this column is a late birthday present – I love you, kiddo.)

The bullet points:

- Suggested ages 10 and older. Playable by younger depending on reading ability.
- 2-5 players
- Play time about 60 minutes
- Suggested Price $39.95

The publisher’s description of Sentinels of the Multiverse is “a cooperative card game with a comic book feel,” and it delivers on each of those three key points. If you’ve been reading these columns since the beginning, the idea of a cooperative card, where the players either all win or all lose together, should be familiar. The comic book feel oozes out of every card in every deck, both in art style and in the flavor quotes at the bottom of each card. (More on these later.) In introducing new people to the game, I’ve been known to describe it as the last battle scene of The Avengers in card-game form, pitting a team of 3-5 heroes against a major villain, with the environment playing a part in the fight.

The game has separate decks of cards for each hero, villain, and environment — 10 heroes, 4 villains, and 4 environments in the core set — and each one feels very different in play. They touch on almost all of the major comic book archetypes, such as the lone multimillionaire vigilante, the speedster, the mad scientist, the invading alien warlord, the big city, and the base in outer space. The variety of combinations available means that no two games feel the same.

Unlike some of the other games I’ve profiled for ChambanaMoms, Sentinels of the Multiverse isn’t really suitable for young kids. Mostly, that’s because there’s a LOT of reading involved – every card gives you instructions for what to do – but there are a couple of villains who are a little bit dark. (I’ve avoided playing these with the Grasshopper, and will continue to do so for a couple more years yet.) There can also be a variety of temporary conditions that are much easier to manage with an adult involved. However, it’s great practice at adding, subtracting, and “making change” as heroes and villains lose hit points. Even a hero reduced to 0 hit points isn’t completely out of the game, as incapacitated heroes can grant one of three abilities to their allies. (To continue the Avengers analogy, this one’s for Phil Coulson!)

To me, the biggest genius of Sentinels of the Multiverse isn’t in the gameplay itself. Rather, the staff of Greater than Games has managed to create not just one fictional comic book, but an entire fictional comic book universe that feels just as old and rich as those of DC and Marvel comics. Every card features a quote from some issue of a “Sentinel Comics” title, and they’ve done it in such a way that the Grasshopper was very disappointed when I had to explain to him that Sentinel Comics didn’t really exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree, age ten is a really generous estimate. I'm five times that and have trouble manipulating all the status changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. Strathmeyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grasshopper will be pleased to know that there are Sentinel comics, just not in print form!

http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/comic

And once the story arc is finished, it will be a PDF in their downloads section:
https://greaterthangames.com/comment/18543#comment-18543
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
I have to agree, age ten is a really generous estimate. I'm five times that and have trouble manipulating all the status changes.

In the bullet points, I'll list both manufacturer's ages (which is 10+ here), and suggested ages from users of the 'Geek. The usual audience for these has never heard of games outside the ones I've written up for this column.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
strathmeyer wrote:
Grasshopper will be pleased to know that there are Sentinel comics, just not in print form!

http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/comic

And once the story arc is finished, it will be a PDF in their downloads section:
https://greaterthangames.com/comment/18543#comment-18543

I knew about the comic, and I might even try to arrange a print of it once it's available. I'm also GM'ing you something, because I can guarantee that he's going to read this thread at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.