Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Ferrari
United States
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so my Designers Edition of Ogre is delivered, assembled, and ready to play, and I got two games of the Mark III attack in today. It was my first playing of Ogre in about 25 years. I remember it being tough beating the Ogre, but my two games had the Ogre crushing the defense. Can anyone offer some suggestions on strategy versus the Ogre to lessen my relearning (is that a word?) curve?

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Punish the Ogre for moving three hexes straight in.

You can count on a novice to do that, so keep your units outside of range two of that location... and get ready to pounce. Once he goes there... try to surround him with everything you have.

In general, take tons of 1-1 shots instead of putting everything into a big 3-1 shot or something.

Once you understand how to coordinate your defense so that you can surround him, the next thing to figure out is when to switch from shooting guns to shooting treads. Some people don't even shoot at the guns at all! Most people at least take out the main battery.

Don't bother with howitzers. Just use Missile Tanks, Heavy Tanks, and G.E.V.'s.

Start with your heavy tanks just on the edge of missile range and go get him!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go!

Playing the Odds in Ogre/G.E.V. by Roland Parenteau
http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/articles/playodds.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reeves
United States
Georgetown
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually go for the treads primarily and the main gun, missiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some success getting GEV's behind the Ogre. Zoom in, shoot, then fall back out of range. It helps if you've taken out the missiles and main gun by this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

First, realize that it's easier to play the Ogre than the defense. That means that the first few games the Ogre has an advantage, because both players will understand that role better then the defense. After ten games it will be a closer match.

Second, if you are a KS backer you get The Ogre Book free from e23.sjgames.com. It has lots of strategy articles as well as scenarios, etc, download it and enjoy!

Third, realize that while you *must* get the treads (or the Ogre will role over the CP and win) your units that do the damage last longer if you take out the guns. So kill the main for sure, then try to get behind and work on the treads.

Beware the HWZ, they're powerful but you may not get your money's worth out of them if you're not clever (see first paragraph). You can put the CP in the northeast corner, then put the HWZ eight hexes from the north end and eight hexes from the east edge. Now the Ogre either has to take a pummeling from the HWZ or plan a route that smacks the HWZ. If they choose the former you're going to get some good hits in - focus the HWZ on the treads. If they choose the latter they have lengthened the map and you get an extra turn or two to stop the Ogre, and that's valuable even if the HWZ only gets one shot in (and undoubtedly misses). Also, by making the Ogre run up the middle you now have an easier time getting behind it.

Don't take all GEVs, you won't have enough punch to wear the Ogre down fast enough. The HVY has to be the mainstay of the defense, but don't just assume that because they're tough you can let the Ogre shoot at them. It will kill them. Keep them behind.

Pawns are the soul of Chess, and Infantry can do a lot of damage to an Ogre. Use them wisely, by which I mean recklessly. Get them up fast, put them behind, try to get every shot you can.

Keep your eye on the Ogre missiles. If he uses them, so be it, nothing you can do about that. If he retains them to hit the CP he has effectively shortened the map and deprived you of a couple of turns of wearing down the Ogre. In that case the missiles need to go, but not right away. Take out the main, start in on the treads, get movement down to 2 hexes per turn and then pick your moment to take out the missiles.

If it seems like your just going "missile tank on the treads... rats... heavy on the treads... rats... infantry on the treads... rats" don't worry, that's part of the game. If you get your units alongside or behind and just keep blasting away you'll get there. There's no magic formula or the game wouldn't still be fun after nearly forty years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Ferrari
United States
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guy for all the tips and suggestions. I hope to get another game or two in tomorrow and now I have a better strategy when defending.

I played Ogre to death as a kid and remember it being hard to defend against the Ogre, but not impossible. Guess I lost my mojo in my old age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also quite possible that your opponents have gotten older and wiser. The Ogre's a lot easier to stop when it just barrels straight for the CP. An adult player is much more likely to recognize when to backtrack or sidestep in order to pick off straggling units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smith
Canada
Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My priorities are usually:

-- Main Battery
-- Enough Treads to put it down to 2 MP.
-- If I am doing well, I now pick off a Secondary Battery or two.
-- It it has not fired missiles yet, pick them off to protect HWZ or CP.
-- Treads, treads, treads.

I don't say that this is the best strategy, but it serves me pretty well.

I played a scenario where the attacker took 4 mark ones, rather than a Mk3. Tough fight! You have to stop all of the little buggers - if even one gets lucky on tread rolls, you're in trouble.

Warm regards, Rick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good article is this one:
http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/articles/ogredef.html

Very simple really: Basic Mark III Game
5 - GEV
4 - Hvy Tanks
3 - Missle Tanks
Normal Infantry

Fast units up front, i.e. GEV
Units that can keep pace with the Ogre middle, i.e. Hvy Tanks
Missile Tanks and Infantry rear. They are slower and you need to know where the Ogre is going.
CP in the middle (NOT the corner)

Don't be afraid of losing units, you will. Ignore the missiles (reasons in the article); Attack as early as possible with as many units (GEV). Get Main Guns and Secondaries. Any units left over can then shoot treads. Keep GEVs behind Ogre after that and form a gauntlet with infantry. Give the Ogre a choice, go straight and get chewed up or slow down (back up) to attack defenders.

Ends up being very balanced with this particular strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Tham
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A bit of thread necromancy...

Everyone is talking about the basic Mk III attack scenario in terms of a twelve armor unit defense. The recommendation for two experienced players is ten armor units for the defending player.

Got my Designer's Edition not long ago and I considered myself (perhaps somewhat overconfidently so) experienced enough to accept a handicap, even though I hadn't played the Ogre scenarios more than a few times more than twenty years ago and got myself a copy of the old GEV game with supplements rather than the original Ogre game about a decade later. So, yeah, I frankly wasn't very experienced at all in regards to the basic Ogre scenarios!

After both my utterly inexperienced girlfriend and my brother trounced my CP I tested it solo a few times, and boy, trying to stop a Mk III with only ten armor units is hard! Even with some minor luck on my side, an aggressive Ogre going for kills rather than speed has claimed a marginal or better victory every time! A GEV or two have been the sole surviving defenders each time.

I've tended to go for a force of 6 GEVs and two each of Heavy Tanks and Missile Tanks (although once I've tried a force of 6 Missile Tanks and 4 GEVs) without any Howitzers.

I've tried different set-ups. I always put the forward units just out of missile range and the rear units as far forward as possible in order to get into the fight as soon as possible and with as many units at once as possible. Often I've let faster units (GEVs and Heavies) form the rear second line because they can get stuck in faster than the footsloggers and missile tanks. (Some people recommend putting GEVs forward just to get the first strike in as early as possible but that usually means they're dead before more units can pitch in.) My tactics have always been about creating a gauntlet for the Ogre after the initial head-on engagement on the first couple of turns when everybody is just trying to get into range, with my forces moving to its sides or rear, forcing it to choose between kills or forward progress. If possible I try to lure it away from disabled units, instead offering alternate tempting targets (with lots of friends in range to punish it the next turn).

So far I've been focusing on treads, throwing everything I have at the Ogre in order to get it down to 2 Movement points as early as possible (usually with poor results, only occasionally managing it in a reasonably early turn) but plan to go for weapons my next few sessions just to see what happens. I frankly expect to find that not enough units are left to kill the treads in time after I have whittled down the Ogre's armament. Not expecting many units to survive first contact I'll probably go for more Heavy Tanks than usual, as far forward as possible...

So how about it? Is a win even possible without colossal amounts of luck, with only ten armor units vs a Mk III? Or am I just better at being the Ogre than at being the defender? Or is weapons busting the way to go, more so than when playing without handicap?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.