Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Schulz
United States
Hillsboro
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really interested in Tiny Epic Kingdoms as I'm a huge fan of the 4x genre but the downside is always the amount of time they take to play through. This is my first review so here goes!

I played three player games with a group of pretty experienced gamers. The first game took about 45 minutes, the second game was closer to 20-25 minutes. We tried to vary things each time and played with all four races. The races do have some differences but the differences only happen as you research the magic. So this is kind of variable player powers but only as things start.

The game sets up very quickly and the rules explains in a bit more time. Each turn someone selects and action and then every player that didn't select the action has the choice to take the same action or collect resources. This creates an interesting balance and often you are looking at what actions are still available to see if you will want to take those.

You score points through building a tower, taking over territory and doing research. It feels like there might seem balancing still needed because the tower seems to be the easiest route to victory. This may change with more playthroughs, but that and the races might need a little adjustment.

My group didn't do the war a lot but it can be tricky. Perhaps as some other reviewers state but I thought I had a sure win against some elves but then they revealed their power that Magic only counts as one against them so I was unable to use as many resources as I had committed to. This would clearly be easier once we had played through it a few more times. Maybe announcing the possible number before would fix this.

My overall impression of the game is very positive. It packs a lot of interesting game into a small box. I think it might get a bit repetitive so I'm not sure I could play it lots of times, so I hope something is figured out to add more replayability to the game. It is a great game to play on a lunchbreak, or just as a quick filler game. Right now the components could fit in your pocket but gives you the feel of a 4x game in a quick package. I will happily be backing the upcoming kickstarter for a copy of this game if it s a reasonable price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review!

The final version with have several more factions, which should help alleviate your concerns about replayability. There are some interesting interactions that I believe will keep the game coming back to your table.

Also, as a note, I think you'll find the kickstarter price VERY reasonable for what you're getting

I'm glad you enjoyed the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Scott
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Kickstarter campaign over? I was unable to find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rscott213 wrote:
Is the Kickstarter campaign over? I was unable to find it.

Kickstarter hasn't started yet. I believe it will be some time in January, or some other time within the "Soon" timeframe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for writing this review Jared! I really appreciate it.

The KS starts Jan. 9th! See ya there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottbalmes wrote:
The final version with have several more factions, which should help alleviate your concerns about replayability. There are some interesting interactions that I believe will keep the game coming back to your table.

How many are we looking at?
I was hoping at least 8 so can deal out 2 each and make a choice of what fits the way you want to play best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.