Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Janine
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, everyone did such a great job suggesting a game to me in my last thread, I hope you might indulge me in one more recommendation request. Are there any deduction games that you might recommend. Something like Clue perhaps? It doesn't have to be a "who done it?" game. Just any sort if game where you have to deduce some mystery. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystery Express is essentially a modern take of Clue where you need to know what time it happened and why. Games that go further away from that, can include Hanabi, The Resistance: Avalon or the plain version, Letters from Whitechapel, Fury of Dracula (second edition), to a number of Mr. Jack games, etc. There is a category for deduction games in the advance search menu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystery of the Abbey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one to consider is Mystery of the Abbey.

And for only a few bucks, everyone should have a copy of Love Letter. It is short-form deduction, plays in a succession of quick rounds, and just works great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring your towel.
United States
Morrilton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind a 2-player only game, I would strongly recommend Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Have a look at Plunder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Name of the Rose

A somewhat hard to find hidden gem. This is deduction gaming done right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 toMystery of the Abbey, Love Letter, and either Resistance.
Sleuth is a good deduction game that is boiled down to the basics.
For another mini game you might check out the pay what you want kickstarter for Where Art Thou Romeo?. It will ship before Christmas and the price is right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you want to take it to the next level and play a two-vs-two deduction game in which you have to figure out who your partner and who your enemy is:

Inkognito.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter, Hanabi, and Resistance: Avalon are all great. For something heavier on the brain try Sleuth.

Mystery of the Abbey I think is so chaotic that the deduction element is lost. It's fun, but it doesn't feel like a deduction game to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Chaosmos will be coming out sometime in the not too distant future. It's all about deduction and misdirection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Black Vienna is my favourite deduction game. So much so that I made an online moderator to play the game:

http://www.aleknevicus.com/bv/

The game itself is long out-of-print, but it's pretty easy to put together a home-made copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Mystery of the Abbey. As one of the reviewers here said, "it's like Clue, but FUN!"

Another one that our family really likes is Tobago, which involves a neat twist on deduction games in that the players contribute to the "treasure map" by playing cards that continue to narrow down possible locations (i.e., "on the beach" or "not next to mountains") of the hidden treasures. So, really, it's more "induction" than "deduction," but the game is a lot of fun, and the components are about as good as they come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Dejardin
Belgium
Neupré
flag msg tools
For something like Clues (with a "who-done-it" flavor), I recommend Lady Alice
For some good deduction games, I would say Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases and Inkognito
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every game I can think of has already been mentioned but I'd like to elaborate on them a bit.

Inkognito - A classic that's just been revamped and re-released this year. The deduction feels very similar to Clue but you play in teams trying to figure out who your partner is and what mission you have to accomplish. It's basically only a 4 player game. Quite a good one but this limits the usability. The original version had a variant for 3 players but I've never considered it (the variant) worthwhile. The new version however also comes with 5 player variant which I think would work well.

Hanabi - While it can be played as a pure deduction game you generally won't do very well unless you allow for the more subtle interactions in the game. It's probably one of the most brilliant and elegant out there.

The Resistance / Avalon - Great when you have more than 5-10 players to entertain. Frequently scores multiple plays in the same sitting.

Love Letter is the last game in this thread that I know and I'd consider it the weakest entry. Not a *bad* game, certainly not for it's low price but just a bit more you can get Hanabi which is immensely better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Germsy wrote:
Are there any deduction games that you might recommend. Something like Clue perhaps?

Sleuth

Here's an article explaining why (an excerpt follows below):

One of the best pure deduction games, now with Sid Sackson's signature
Quote:
Comparing with Clue: The board game Clue is a long time family favourite in many households, including my own. So how do they compare?

● Clue requires players to figure out a suspect, weapon, and room, while Sleuth requires players to figure out a gem which has characteristics in three categories (type, number, and colour). In both cases cards are set aside, requiring players to deduce which one is missing, so there is a core mechanic that they share in common.
● In contrast to the simple gameplay of Clue, Sleuth dispenses with the need for a board, at the same time adding considerably deeper levels of puzzle solving and strategy.
● With Clue the player movement is dice driven, and these random elements can cause considerable frustration, a weakness that is not evident in Sleuth.
● Unlike Clue where the deduction is fairly straight forward and largely a matter of simple elimination and hoping for the best, with Sleuth there's potential for more clever questioning and also for more in depth deduction.

While Clue is more suited to families with children, anyone who enjoys serious deduction and logic puzzling will find that Sleuth is by far the superior game when judged on that level. It's less thematic, granted, but by boiling down the game to its deductive essence, logical puzzle solvers won't miss any kind of narrative, because they're compensated more than adequately by immersing themselves in the challenges of pure logic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleuth looks interesting, but I didn't much care for their comparison which seemed to imply the choices are either Clue or Sleuth and people who like Clue are monkeys in the jungle with fingers up their noses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irene
Ireland
Monaghan
Monaghan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it, but 011 seems to have the same sort of deduction aspect, and a steampunk theme if you're into that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good suggestions already, but one I didn't see and which just came out is King & Assassins. I played this a few times at BGG.CON and it was a sleeper hit for me. Really good deduction game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Letters from Whitechapel would seem to fit your needs. One versus one to five players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Havighorst
Germany
Haltern am See
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
P.I.

Shadow Hunters

Murder! Mystery! Mastermind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.