Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Kotzur-Yang
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a pretty aggressive or liberal variant. Catan's not getting to the table that much these days so I did some tweaking to turn it into a competitive cooperative flood-fighting game. It forces players to work together more and can be played as a full co-op if you want.

The genesis of the idea for this came from Forbidden Island which, for me, was too easy to solve and see the moving pieces. I'd very much appreciate some feedback. Download links below:
As an A4 spread, so you can pull it up on your desktop or laptop, or print it out
As single A5 pages, for tablet viewing or to print out bigger and better.

What's changed?
Settlement have moved into the center of hexes and resource production is automatic
The dice rolls now create flooding at the end of each round
Roads have been replaced by dykes to combat the flooding

Why?
There were a few things that I wanted to do with this game, primarily based on how I was currently feeling about playing Settlers.
1. Force players to actually work together to build in the early part of the game, rather than just concentrate on their own stuff.
2. Recalibrate the luck aspect*.
3. Create a better game arc**.
4. Make trade more important but less time-consuming.

*The dice in Catan have always seemed to hate me for some reason, and they seem meaner than in other games, because you have no real agency. You’re not choosing to roll the dice and take a risk, you’re just sitting there and watching the dice bestow bounty on others while ignoring you. Although the dice seem to be positive, it just doesn’t feel that way for me, so I swung them the other way. Now, the dice are always bad, but you get agency because you can block floods and work against the dice. Yes, the dice hate you, but the dice hate everyone, so it doesn’t feel like they’re picking on you, or ignoring you.
** Catan, and many victory point games, just escalate. You build more settlements which leads to greater rate of resource acquisition which means you can build more settlements. If it was a graph, it’d be a line curving upwards, which is okay (better than a straight line) but not great. I’ve tried to do something different with Resettlement, but I’d like to see if it comes through in play before I tell you about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...interesting ideas, but it sounds like a different game. The role of the dice is one of my main complaints with Catan, but that's just the game. I also think trade is rather important already, and I don't necessarily see the importance of the story arc you mentioned. I think I'd qualify the idea more as a different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play with a flood variant, check out Catan: Atlantis. I translated the rules into English a few years back and it has a quite entertaining flood scenario where you are scrambling just to survive, while still getting the most points. Just don't build your cities too near the coast! This was also available as in the Scenario Book released a decade ago. Parts are printable for both if you look around (or just use stand-ins).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kotzur-Yang
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Hmmm...interesting ideas, but it sounds like a different game. The role of the dice is one of my main complaints with Catan, but that's just the game. I also think trade is rather important already, and I don't necessarily see the importance of the story arc you mentioned. I think I'd qualify the idea more as a different game.

I don't disagree, but I don't think it's quite different enough to be called it's own game. My last couple of games were quite low on trade and we got to the point of "No one trade with the leader" pretty early. What I was trying to do with this was make players work together at the start, and then turn on each other once survival seemed assured.

Whaleyland wrote:
If you want to play with a flood variant, check out Catan: Atlantis.
Looks interesting. Sounds like it'd take a while to build up the necessary chits for flooding. Does it make much of a difference to gameplay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
kotzuryang wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

I don't disagree, but I don't think it's quite different enough to be called it's own game. My last couple of games were quite low on trade and we got to the point of "No one trade with the leader" pretty early. What I was trying to do with this was make players work together at the start, and then turn on each other once survival seemed assured.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of co-ops, and that's probably the main issue here. I hope the variant works well though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
kotzuryang wrote:
Whaleyland wrote:
If you want to play with a flood variant, check out Catan: Atlantis.
Looks interesting. Sounds like it'd take a while to build up the necessary chits for flooding. Does it make much of a difference to gameplay?

It does because the competition for the interior of the island is much more fierce and anything built along the edges is done with the knowledge that it will be temporary. By the end, a kind of panic sets in, but I've played the variant twice (once from each expansion) and enjoyed it quite a lot. You need like 60 chits, but you can probably sub in coins or Mancala beads or something similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.