Hide
7 Posts

Empires in Arms» Forums » General

Subject: Bids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Bierschenk
msg tools
By the way, here are the bids for a recent game of six players (no Spain) among reasonably experienced players:

GB: 33, 3, 25, 26, 10, 38
Fr: 16, 2, 15, 36, 11, 29
Ru: 17, 6, 14, 22, 12, 30
Au: 3, 5, 1, 10, 5, 3
Pr: 1, 4, 2, 1, 1, 1
Tu: 2, 1, 3, 4, 2, 2

I find these numbers more or less in the ballpark. Comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raven Zachary
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Britain
(Average: 30, Minneapolis: 22, Dallas: 31)

France
(Average: 34, Minneapolis: 42, Dallas: 30)

Russia
(Average: 26, Minneapolis: 19, Dallas: 31)

Austria
(Average: 11, Minneapolis: 11, Dallas: 24)

Prussia
(Average: 6, Minneapolis: 2, Dallas: 1)

Spain
(Average: 5, Minneapolis: 3, Dallas: 1)

Turkey
(Average: 3, Minneapolis: 3, Dallas: 1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kajmakchalan wrote:
By the way, here are the bids for a recent game of six players (no Spain) among reasonably experienced players:

GB: 33, 3, 25, 26, 10, 38
Fr: 16, 2, 15, 36, 11, 29
Ru: 17, 6, 14, 22, 12, 30
Au: 3, 5, 1, 10, 5, 3
Pr: 1, 4, 2, 1, 1, 1
Tu: 2, 1, 3, 4, 2, 2

I find these numbers more or less in the ballpark. Comments?

Biding for Turkey is a waste of VP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
allan wielund
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Our Group has dispensed with the bidding system, and distribute the countries after each player hand in his list of priorities, and after a compromise has been approved.
We also look a lot at game dynamics and which countries each player has played before. If a player asks for a specific country, and he has not played it before, then his wish has high priority.

Our 4 experienced players has each played France twice, I´m playing it for the 3rd time now because "it´s my turn". France has also been played by 2 different inexperienced players, with predictable results.

We still add a "points penalty" to the countries though, based on their difficulty and how much they are in demand.
In our current game I think the Price of playing the countries are:

France & England + 15
Russia + 10
Turkey, Prussia, Spain + 5
Austria + 0

... in our group Austria has never finished in top 3.
Turkey has a 2nd place and was heading for a win in a campaign that was abandoned. All other countries has at least 1 win, Spain has 2 I think.
It´s hard to keep score though, because half the campaigns are abandoned because of players leaving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
allan wielund
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
In a full Grand Campaign there are 44 economic phases, so a bid of 40 or more points for a country means you need a full extra point per quarter ... for France a 10 point average instead of 9, just to finish by the end of 1815.

In our campaigns the Winner has reached his point target 6-12 months before that, so bidding a lot for France/England means making things almost impossible - a single lost war and you´re in big trouble.

You risk having one player bidding too much, just for the joy of having one of the dominant powers, but with no real chance of winning.

I think without such pressure you can focus more on getting into the fun parts of the game, rather than scraping points together at all costs and manipulating like crazy.

Maximum manipulation >< Building army and hope to earn points on the battlefield.
Manipulation is the safe bid, battle is more fun.
I think this is an important choice for England/France, you can´t always afford both.

BTW. I know of another Danish EiA Group, where players bid real Money to play the powers, France went for almost 100$. The Money were put into a pot for buying snacks for the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus D
Denmark
flag msg tools
Paying money is an interesting take! There is a third danish group, we started a new game a couple of months ago (7 players) with the following bids (names from the top of each column has been removed):

GB 18 10 9 15 7 9 10
Fr 23 11 5 16 3 27 15
Ru 12 15 10 14 15 16 8 Diced
Au 4 4 1 4 10 7 4
Pr 3 1 2 2 5 3 1 Diced
Sp 2 2 4 3 2 5 3
Ty 1 3 3 1 1 1 2

Winning Bids:
GB: 18, Fr: 27, Ru: 15, Au: 10, Pr: 2, Sp: 4, Ty: 2

It might at first seem strange that GB went for 18, while the price for France was 27, but we are playing with house rules where +2 manipulation is not allowed. This makes for a far more interesting game, where France (and GB) are both forced to be very active.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.