Popular Tags: [View All]
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g62dbAi2NCA

Haven't watched this yet but looking at the starting set up, it looks like Black goat, Crawling Chaos and either Windwalker or Opener
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
That is Windwalker AND Opener.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I realized the moment I walked away from my PC to grab some dinner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait to get home so I can watch this video! As usual I will take notes and post a game play review.

See you all here on the forums tonight!

Cthulhu Wars! Game responsibly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, 4 players, 1 new, and it played in 50 minutes. Interesting. (Personally I like the shorter play time.) I'm not sure this is an average game length though, as it looks like opener ran away with it a bit early, perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that happened because the Windwalker player and the Black goat player were new to the game and let him get ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody tried to stop him so he could just do whatever, sandy should have focused more on mutual destruction to make the game more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Link's blood thirst for victory overwhelmed him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to get this.

The only thing that worries me is how the game just ends abruptly. I know lots of games do this but it's so anti-climactic: "Oh look, I have 30 points, game over". I am worried it's going to hurt my enjoyment of this game. I suppose the problem may have been that there were two new players so it kind of hit them by surprise, whereas experienced players may have seen it coming and would have taken steps to prevent him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
House rules can help to offset this abrupt end. The Doom Phase was added to keep the game flowing properly. Originally you could do a Ritual of Annihilation at any time. The result was games that tended to run too long or too short.

All-in-All it was a great video. I would be writing up my review right now if I wasn't so tired. Tomorrow perhaps?

Thank you Link and Sandy for taking the time to create this game play video for us! I hope all of the players had a great experience.

Cthulhu Wars! Game responsibly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the abruptness was mostly due to the newer players trying to figure out the game. I'm sure on a second or third game, you'll see the game state a lot easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game did end a turn short actually. I got such a huge lead that with my many gates and doing a ritual. I wasn't even sure I would win but then got lucky with elder signs.

Also Sandy added up his points off screen and was only 5 behind me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also everyone can blame Arthur's stubborn child as to why a Windwalker vid isn't going up today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linkthestink wrote:
Also everyone can blame Arthur's stubborn child as to why a Windwalker vid isn't going up today.

I've got a little niece myself. She comes complete with the optional cuteness and pipes add-on package. In short... Cute until you hear her!

And once again guys... I am sorry for not posting my video review. It's been a VERY long week. Maybe some time this weekend I can write up up.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New video up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgfIjeaUNig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linkthestink wrote:

Sweet! Thank you Link and Sandy for this Friday video update!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
This game ended about 1 turn earlier than most games. I should have focused more on Opener rather than hammering away at Rhan-Tegoth. That would have slowed Lincoln down and given me an additional chance to win.

I will say that when I added up my own points after we stopped the video, I was "only" 5 points behind so it wasn't as big a blowout as it seemed on camera.

Also when you've got a game or two under your belt, it is pretty clear when the game is nearing the close. We don 't have a turn track or anything to help with this, I admit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very excited to get my hands on this in March.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaDestroyer wrote:
I am very excited to get my hands on this in March.

If we get this game in March, I'll be shocked. With all due respect to the folks at GEG, but so many KS game projects have fallen further and further behind schedule. It will seem like a minor miracle if CW ships that quickly.

Then again, I would never discount the power of Cthulhu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking the same thing lately (as Michael said, I'm not trying to complain or attack GEG). I've checked out several other BIG boardgames packed with cool minis (Myth, Kingdom Death, Zombicide S2) and they are all very, very late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thegrinder wrote:
I've been thinking the same thing lately (as Michael said, I'm not trying to complain or attack GEG). I've checked out several other BIG boardgames packed with cool minis (Myth, Kingdom Death, Zombicide S2) and they are all very, very late.

It's all dependent on the manufacturer at this point. We do know that most of the minis are done and they've been testing the other maps/expansion GOO/monsters, so they're on track.

But if they get a delay from the Manufacturer, there is literally nothing they can do but just weather the delay. With that said, I'm confident that we'll get it in Spring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
thegrinder wrote:

What? Zombicide S2 shipped early. I picked mine up at GenCon.

(And then traded it, but hey.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Afrofrycook wrote:
thegrinder wrote:

It's all dependent on the manufacturer at this point. We do know that most of the minis are done and they've been testing the other maps/expansion GOO/monsters, so they're on track.

But if they get a delay from the Manufacturer, there is literally nothing they can do but just weather the delay. With that said, I'm confident that we'll get it in Spring.

Afrofrycook is right on all counts here. This type of thing happens all the time in production lines.

1. Each miniature requires a mold. Once all of the molds have been constructed they are shipped to the production company.

2. The company producing the game has to setup a production line. This requires time and planning. Not just for the assembly part but the labor part as well. All of this factors into the total cost of the game.

3. You have to order the necessary supplies to make the pieces with. These supplies generally come from different suppliers so it takes time to get them all shipped in. This also factors into the game's cost.

4. Now that all of the molds and supplies have been received assembly can begin. Several test batches will be run to weed out any existing issues with production. Issues can include bad materials, equipment malfunctions, improper or warped molds... There are lots of things that can go wrong on assembly lines.

Please note, I am not saying that anything will happen at this stage. I am merely pointing out the possibility for discussion purposes.

5. Next, Quality Assurance staffers will sort through the game pieces to ensure production standards are being met. Bad pieces will be removed from the line while good pieces remain.

6. The product is then packaged, boxed securely, and placed on a bulk pallet to ship to the U.S.A. This not only saves on S/H but it also allows for more product to reach the company faster.

This list is just a synopsis of events on an assembly line. It is by no means all inclusive.

I've worked in production as well as shipping and receiving for over a decade. I hope this gives you guys insight on how the game will be made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very well aware of the delays that plague Kickstarter projects. I'm just being optimistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if they get the game on time, they still have to package it all together, ship it out etc. This is a small operation too, from what we know of GEG. I don't mean to come across as a naysayer but I would be shocked (pleasantly mind you) if we get it in March or even April.

Maybe I'm just sick of being disappointed by Kickstarter delays so I am preparing myself...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.