Popular Tags: [View All]
Ferro Ostil
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like a cool card, which I thought would let you do to the French the enormous hurt. The equivalent card in CC:A is certainly powerful.

But in the several games I've played the card has been practically useless. It's hard to close with more than one or two units at time. If it's cavalry facing infantry that goes into square, you don't get the bonus (you only ever roll 1 die). If it's infantry by definition it's the second turn you are in melee (because you cannot move and use the Cold Steel card). In my experience infantry survives long enough. In the intervening opponent's turn your infantry will have retreated or been reduced to one block, given how bloody melee is - each die rolled has 50% chance of causing a hit and a 16.7% chance of causing a retreat on top of it.

In the meantime, the card is taking up space in your hand... Almost any other event card is preferable, I find. cry

Am I missing anything? How do you optimize the Cold Steel card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cold Steel works best as a defensive card, where the attacker comes onto your steel.

One memorable use was moving into the victory objective, which was a town, which draws a counterattack, and then using Cold Steel to clinch the game.

On the whole however, it can be quite useless in attack, even with Bayonet Charge or Forced March cards. If you can't see a use, discard it in a quiet moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Mark said, it works well as a defensive card. If you've taken loses due to a melee, it allows your unit(s) to battle with something close to full strength.

And if you're playing the Spanish, this can be a devastating card. Move your troops in position, use a guerrilla token to negate the French turn, then wail away. (I've employed this tactic with mixed results -- once used La Grande Manoeuvre then played the guerrilla token only, to have my opponent roll crossed sabers and proceed to decimate my poorly led troops.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not useless......

It's a deal, it's a steal, it's Sale of the !@*^! Century....

Sorry, a bad misprint deserves a bad pun and I couldn't resist.

Brent.

.....it looks as if the ability to embed Youtube videos has been disabled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serre combe olivier
France
Marseille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Give them the cold steel :
+1 with square or not ?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dippel
Germany
Rheinhausen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
I am from Bavaria
badge
King Ludwig II of Bavaria
mbmbmbmb
This answer was given already a lot of times and it need also no FAQ, because the rulebook is simple clear:
Rulebook page 16 right column.

Quote:
Nothing will increase the
number of battle dice an infantry unit in square may roll, except
when an infantry square is ordered as part of a Combined Arms
Combat. An infantry square’s battle die however, may be reduced
by terrain modifiers so the infantry unit in square may not have
a die to roll.

and page 18 left column.

Quote:
The maximum number of battle dice an infantry unit in square
may roll in melee combat is 1 die. Command card additional
dice and troop type additions will not increase the number of
dice a square will roll. Terrain modifiers, however, may reduce
an infantry unit’s battle dice. An infantry unit therefore may not
have a die to roll.

NOTHING means NOTHING increase the battledice of the single square (no cards as Elan, Cold Steel and other rules),
only terrain can decrease the battledice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find occasionally I will use it on the attack, particularly if I am going against towns or entrenchments (where the enemy is less likely too have retreated). It can provide an extra die to compensate for casualties taken on a battle back or a counterattack, or it provides that one extra card to press home an assault after my flank cards have been expended.

But yes, I very rarely, on the attack, find myself in a position to use all four unit. Most of the time I only end up ordering two with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.