5 Posts

Dark Darker Darkest» Forums » Variants

Subject: Supersize me. (and my house) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GeekJen
Germany
flag msg tools
Confident with the rules after the 2nd session I played with the house and its rules.

I am currently playing with an enlarged 6x6 house. Thanks to the additional Kickstarter tiles there are just enough outer wall tiles.

And the experience is.... interesting.
Well, rather frightening. The amount of camera checks and an insane amount of door locks (all tiles were chosen randomly) makes this a real house of horror. I have 5 cameras with intersecting line of sight and 12 locks (eleven 2-codes, one 3-code locks).

To mitigate for the increased walking distance the survivors need to explore the house, each hero has 2 extra movement APs (strictly for movement only).
But I'm not sure if that is enough

Request for comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually tested the house with 6 columns several times.
At one point in the development the house was a 6X4 configuration.
But somehow this extended playtime notably to a degree that made me decide that a more compact house would be advisable.
It does work with a 6-column configuration, but it could lead to situations more often with the team running out of time before unlocking the lab.
That said, it could well be another way to up the challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could have each AP spent on movement is 2 moves (like in the showdown) and then give 3 or 4 moves in the showdown. You could also play the 4/5 player game with the 2/3 player board sides to get another AP into the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The real problem is the darkness track. You'd need to experiment to figue out what the right end number should be, but I doubt, even with the extra movement AP, you'd be able to get to the endgame by 5. But the question I have is whether this configuration is enjoyable. Does it merely extend the game, or are there interesting dynamics that arise due to the larger board?
-ryanjamal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekJen
Germany
flag msg tools
Well, due to the size, you will need to chose wisely if you want to spend APs to search or rather movement (in particular towards the end).

The increased number of cameras and locks (and internal walls!) makes it much harder to move through the house. But limits at the same time the way Zombies can move.

So yes, there are some tactic modifications required. In a 4x5 house you can search almost every room without too much trouble (unless you are really unlucky) and wasting a second thought about it.

It's just a variant I'm toying with while playing solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.