Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Any Good? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Taylor
United States
La Canada
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do both options at once!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
don't have LOTR TCG, I do have the LCG though, so not sure.

But yes, it's a good game.

edit: I paid $30 for Pathfinder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Winter
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The forums are rife with opinions. You'll get a lot more answers a lot more quickly should you peruse them. But in case you don't want to, let me answer: yes. Yes, it's good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hutcherson
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I think it's fantastic AND with enough support from us, it'll get even better in future iterations. It's surprisingly deep and strategic. I'm very much enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W McG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have both and enjoy LotR much more. I'm in the 'little strategic value' camp. In LotR decisions matter... make the wrong one and it will likely cost you the game. In PAC, not so much. In PAC, you decide where your characters start, which is limited to: 1.) Doesn't really matter where I put them or 2.) This guy obviously goes here and I'd be a fool to do otherwise.

Those aren't meaningful decisions. Character progression is cute but doesn't yield anything noteworthy. This will likely change as you get further along in the story, but it's a pretty big money investment at that point to have to wait that long to get to the good stuff.

Still don't understand why they have armor in the game. I've only had to use it once in 20 plays or so.

Enjoyed the game for the first 10 plays or so, then the repetition set in over the next 10 and it's shelved without completing the latest adventure.

There is a huge discrepancy in difficulty as well. LotR I find to be a very challenging game... even frustratingly difficult at times. PACG, not so much. I have yet to lose a game other than from 'the clock' which doesn't happen often (probably 2-3 times total) and generally has more to do with just random luck (i.e. villans/henchmen randomly placed at/near the bottom of location decks) than a bad decision or bad rolling or from me intentionally trying to get through as many of the cards as possible (not sure why I do this since the rewards are not that great). In fact, I've never lost a character in PACG either... so PACG is really missing that ever-present suspenseful feeling of immanent doom.

I made a mistake though. I played several 1 shot games from the start to try to get a handle on the rules (rulebook is horrid) and the available characters.. This and the repetition wore me out on the game relatively quickly. Recommend if you do pick it up, you play only 1-2 warm up games before you get right into the main story. Otherwise you might end up like me where the limited story is not enough of a draw to slog your way through the repetition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is a whole subforum devoted to your question:
http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1322243/pathfinder-adventure-...

Asking this sort of question in a post will have a lot of selection bias.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sold LOTR. Too many rules and not fun solo. Buy this, love it and you won't look back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't find it fun solo, but it's great fun with the right group of friends. A lot of the fun in this game is the banter with your friends regarding:
- Who should go to which Location
- Whether or not to contribute help to a check
- When to leave a location open if there are still a lot of boons to find
- Trading items at the end of each scenario.

After playing ~18 scenarios between two groups, the game mechanics are starting to get repetitious. I still enjoy the experience, but we now power through the scenarios as fast as possible, to get to the fun of trading cards and advancing our characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
I didn't find it fun solo, but it's great fun with the right group of friends. A lot of the fun in this game is the banter with your friends regarding:
- Who should go to which Location
- Whether or not to contribute help to a check
- When to leave a location open if there are still a lot of boons to find
- Trading items at the end of each scenario.

After playing ~18 scenarios between two groups, the game mechanics are starting to get repetitious. I still enjoy the experience, but we now power through the scenarios as fast as possible, to get to the fun of trading cards and advancing our characters.

I am starting to think that THIS is where the game is. The scenario and all are just excuse to then loot grab, exchange and character upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W McG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demonsss wrote:
New_Sheriff wrote:
Have both and enjoy LotR much more. I'm in the 'little strategic value' camp. In LotR decisions matter... make the wrong one and it will likely cost you the game. In PAC, not so much. In PAC, you decide where your characters start, which is limited to: 1.) Doesn't really matter where I put them or 2.) This guy obviously goes here and I'd be a fool to do otherwise.

Those aren't meaningful decisions. Character progression is cute but doesn't yield anything noteworthy. This will likely change as you get further along in the story, but it's a pretty big money investment at that point to have to wait that long to get to the good stuff.

Still don't understand why they have armor in the game. I've only had to use it once in 20 plays or so.

Enjoyed the game for the first 10 plays or so, then the repetition set in over the next 10 and it's shelved without completing the latest adventure.

Excellent ... Big thanks for taking the time on that really helpful

There is a huge discrepancy in difficulty as well. LotR I find to be a very challenging game... even frustratingly difficult at times. PACG, not so much. I have yet to lose a game other than from 'the clock' which doesn't happen often (probably 2-3 times total) and generally has more to do with just random luck (i.e. villans/henchmen randomly placed at/near the bottom of location decks) than a bad decision or bad rolling or from me intentionally trying to get through as many of the cards as possible (not sure why I do this since the rewards are not that great). In fact, I've never lost a character in PACG either... so PACG is really missing that ever-present suspenseful feeling of immanent doom.

I made a mistake though. I played several 1 shot games from the start to try to get a handle on the rules (rulebook is horrid) and the available characters.. This and the repetition wore me out on the game relatively quickly. Recommend if you do pick it up, you play only 1-2 warm up games before you get right into the main story. Otherwise you might end up like me where the limited story is not enough of a draw to slog your way through the repetition.

Big Thanks for taking the time on that for me, very helpful

No problem. One thing to keep in mind here though, that since this is an evolving game, a few of my gripes may no longer be valid 6 months down the road. Armor may actually be worthwhile, you might actually lose a game from something other than randomness, you might actually have to make a tough decision.

Repetition is repetition though. I like replayable games, not repeatable ones, and for me, the existing game mechanics do not warrant additional time or money into the product... but like I said, if you have an interest in the game, you should follow it and wait to see if it becomes a better game down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Hiles
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will also chime in that the game is very very moddable thanks to the way its constructed. A lot of mods/variants can be applied without changing any of the core rules.

My enjoyment of the game (roommate and I playing) doubled once we injected a bit of flavor into the game by having the other player flip the locations and do a bit of storycrafting since we both used to GM actual Pathfinder games in the past.

Here's one that pops to mind:
-------
You are exploring at the woods location and just killed a harpy the previous round and are now exploring again

I flip over bandit for you and would do something like:

"As you finally silence the ringing in your ears from the harpy's siren song, you see rustling in the bush nearby. You go over to check it out, as you push the leaves out of the way with your sword a bandit drops out of the tree and grabs an item from your belt! You persue this thief who was attracted by the harpies song and "negotiate" with him."
-----
The grabs an item from your belt bit is based off the bandit card text of forcing you to recharge a card before the encounter, hence the negotiate part of you actually getting it back (since its going back in your deck)

Now of course this small variant does require another player, but you can see how easily the game morphs to what you want it to be.

I have both the LOTR Card game (plus a few quest packs) and PACG, this is the only one that lives outside of the closet for easy play. We play both, we just play this more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.